What was the best European show of 2005?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4U2Play

Refugee
I am curious to know what fans thought of the European shows they attended this summer.

Which was the best U2 show you saw, and why?

Naturally, opinions by those who saw more than two shows and are not prejudiced toward their hometown gigs are most welcome.

Based on word of mouth and the various bootlegs I have seen/heard so far, I would go with the following:

1. Croke 3 - best setlist, longest show

2. Amsterdam 2 - great opening bands, great crowd

3. Katowice - amazing fan action

4. Milano 2 - very loud fans

5. Twickenham 2 - great performance, fantastic singalongs

I did not have the good fortune to attend any shows in Europe this time round, so I would love to hear all of your thoughts and impressions.

(Sorry, I could not set up an actual poll, perhaps a mod could do so?)

Last edited:
I think my choice would be for Croke 2. Yeah, many setlist nerds are having an orgasm over Croke 3, but I thought it missed just that bit of magic that was present at Croke 2.

Then again, if I can be totally biased, it sure has to be Amsterdam 1. :wink: You can't beat All I Want Is You from that show. :D (OK, it was topped by One in Boston on 4 December, but that's a US show).

Milano 2, definitely, no doubt. Not just because we were the finest crowd of all the shows.........................:)wink: :wink: :wink: ), but because there was an incredible feeling between us and the band. And they played really good, everyone was in top form, and when they played Original of the Species accompanied by a string orchestra, the whole structure came down, everyone cried out............Another factor was the stadium, its incredible beauty associated to the megascreen and the lights donated a dream frame to each of the songs and each moment. It was a magic, nothing else................many will see it when the dvd will come out.........

Well, even Bono said (in Rolling Stone interview, which was done between the MSG concerts, as far as I remember) that the polish gig was one of the best moments in his life, so I really don't need to add anything more :wink: The atmosphere was incredible and the band was in top form, you could really feel they were very touched and wanted to perform the best they could (especially after New Year's Day!).

I'm sure they were all really amazing

apart from the first manchester one.....apparantley it wasnt very good :shrug:

but in my opinion (obviously cos its the only show i went to)

Cardiff!

Most amazing night of my life :heart:

& the killers...all in one night!

what more could you want? :wink:

I was at Croke 1, Milan 2, Gothenburg and Copenhagen.

Milan 2 was definitely the best of those four.
I've mentioned it a lot of times already, but I Will Follow from that concert was perfection. New Year's Day was pure band-crowd interaction. The whole stadium was jumping. I can't tell, because I weren't there, but I don't think it can get much better than this was.
Based on reactions from other fans I've met (and people on the boards of course) it sounds like Amsterdam 3, Croke 2 and Katowice were great as well.

Last edited:
Actually, Croke 3 had as many songs as the Milan shows did, so they tie for longest show.

Based on the shows I saw:
1.Manchester 1 9/10
Awesome start, shame my seat sucked.
2. Manchester 2 6/10
Disappointing after night 1 atmosphere left a lot to be desired.
3. Twickenham 1 8/10
Great atmosphere, good solid show.
4. Twickenham 2 10/10
Superb night and atmosphere, band great esp. WOWY/Take Me To The Clouds.
5. Dublin 1 10/10
Best atmosphere of the lot, comfortably the most 'solid' of the bands performances.
6. Dublin 2 6/10
Big disappointment compared with the previous night despite the setlist and still don't quite understand the fuss that has been made about this show. Atmosphere lacking and I thought the performance was riddled with errors.
7. Cardiff 5/10
Fairly ordinary, crowd terrible, the closed roof was good though.

I was at 7 shows in europe this year, for me Croke 2 was by far (for perfromance) the best followed by Barcalona, I think Croke 3 is overrated, people dont realise that setlist is only part of what makes a show good. From listening to Bootlegs and hearing reviews of shows I would have to say Milan 2 is the best, I'm so sorry I missed it
:sad:

I was at four shows this summer: Brussels, Amsterdam 1, 2 and 3.

Brussels: typical first night; good performance, but not smooth.. lots of little flaws in the show... I liked the thrill of travelling down to Brussels to see the band for the first time in four years....

The Amsterdam shows: first of all, all three shows were of a high standard, despite the 'bad' sound in the stadium. I was wearing my pro-earplugs.. with the plugs the sound was good..
Amsterdam 1 and 2 : very solid and tight shows.. two great nights..

Amsterdam 3 was a bit more loose.. Audience anticipation with Elevation, Who's gonna ride your wild horses, the tour premiere of Miss Sarajevo as well as a tour premiere of a full band Original of the Species with Terry Lawless on stage and 40 as a closer...

For me Amsterdam 3 was the best of the shows I saw for the reasons I mentioned above..

BTW was Milan 2 shot on video or were both nights taped??

Finally, Happy New Year to all of you...

God Part III said:
Actually, Croke 3 had as many songs as the Milan shows did, so they tie for longest show.

I think Amsterdam 3 is part of the longest show list as well.
26 full songs.
..might be even longer thant Milan with 25 full songs...
Anyway, I timed Amsterdam 3 at 2hours and 26 minutes. :drool:

wtonis said:

I think Amsterdam 3 is part of the longest show list as well.
26 full songs.
..might be even longer thant Milan with 25 full songs...
Anyway, I timed Amsterdam 3 at 2hours and 26 minutes. :drool:

No 25 only.

1. Vertigo
2. I Will Follow
3. The Electric Co. / Bullet With Butterfly Wings (snippet)
4. Elevation
5. New Year's Day
6. Beautiful Day
7. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
8. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
9. City Of Blinding Lights
10. Miracle Drug
11. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own / I Didn't Come Down The Liffey In A Bubble (snippet)
12. Love And Peace Or Else
13. Sunday Bloody Sunday
14. Bullet The Blue Sky / When Johnny Comes Marching Home (snippet) / Please (snippet) / The Hands That Built America (snippet)
15. Miss Sarajevo
16. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
17. Where The Streets Have No Name / All You Need Is Love (snippet)
18. One / Unchained Melody (snippet)
19. Zoo Station
20. The Fly
21. With Or Without You
22. All Because Of You
23. Original Of The Species
24. Yahweh
25. 40

Milan went on for as long I think.

Sorry for not surrendering ;)

Milan 1 and Milan 2 and of course Rome.

All of these were excellent.

I saw 6 Vertigo concerts in Europe and all were great for me, but

crazy and noisy crowd in Italy is what makes difference.

Happy New Year to all of you.

God Part III said:

No 25 only.
Milan went on for as long I think.

Sorry for not surrendering ;)

:)
I checked the number of songs after I sent my reply.. 25 songs indeed for Amsterdam 3.. still, Amsterdam 3 will be among the longest shows of the tour..

Croke 2, definately. I was at Croke 3 as well, and night two was definately better. Sure it was good to hear some rareties on the last night, but the performance just felt fuller and really top notch on the second night.

I can't comment on the other shows during the leg because I wasn't there, but I would have to say it would be very hard to top Croke II.

Back
Top Bottom