What U2 NEEDS to do for their new album!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bronzefloor

Babyface
I love U2 but their last few albums have bored me. I am 35 years old and have loved them from when I was 9 years old and I picked up my sister's copy of The Joshua Tree and it transported me to another ... well another place. No other collection of songs did that at the time and I listened to a lot of music then.

I don't want them to sound like they did on The Joshua Tree. I want them to sound like they have some FIGHT.

I want down-and-dirty lyrics. I don't want to hear about injustices around the world or wars. I want to hear about injustices in my relationships, wars in my life - something I can identify with. We've got the message U2. Get back to writing songs about us - normal people, with normal lives and normal problems and normal joys.

I don't want to hear about Bono being up at night lost as fuck in his own mind. WHO GIVES A FUCK?
I love him and the rest of the band but enough of the Bono therapy session out-takes.

Write in the third person. Get a raw sound going not an expensive polished sound. Let it be the worst demo tape you lot have ever made. I don't want to hear anything about the sun or the moon or any other bullshit. I want them to grip our world - our personal world - by the throat and wrestle it to the ground. There are loads of bands etc doing a much better job. I loved your performance of This Is by Aslan.

I want them to bash the place up a bit, raise their fists and knock the fuck out of something. No more charm, no more smarm, no need to sell their wares. Make-up and costumes. Become something different. Set fire to something - to us.

In addition I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ANY MENTION OF GOD. I know it is important to them but enough is enough. Beat that drum another day. I don't want to go to a gig and feel like I am at religious service. Roar from the bottom of your lungs about the joy and despair of life but leave God and all that at the door to the recording studio. This is about US not just U2.

Their albums have become too formulaic. I could predict what I am going to hear on the next album. I don't want that, I want to be surprised. Even if it doesn't sound great. I want different sounds, different images being conjured up. Not the tired old ones of God, injustices somewhere in the world, Bono being lost. Maybe 20 years ago he could relate to ordinary people but it is hard to see how he can do that with his do-goodery in the world happening. Yawn.

I love U2 but their last few albums have bored me. I am 35 years old and have loved them from when I was 9 years old and I picked up my sister's copy of The Joshua Tree and it transported me to another ... well another place. No other collection of songs did that at the time and I listened to a lot of music then.

I don't want them to sound like they did on The Joshua Tree. I want them to sound like they have some FIGHT.

I want down-and-dirty lyrics. I don't want to hear about injustices around the world or wars. I want to hear about injustices in my relationships, wars in my life - something I can identify with. We've got the message U2. Get back to writing songs about us - normal people, with normal lives and normal problems and normal joys.

I don't want to hear about Bono being up at night lost as fuck in his own mind. WHO GIVES A FUCK?
I love him and the rest of the band but enough of the Bono therapy session out-takes.

Write in the third person. Get a raw sound going not an expensive polished sound. Let it be the worst demo tape you lot have ever made. I don't want to hear anything about the sun or the moon or any other bullshit. I want them to grip our world - our personal world - by the throat and wrestle it to the ground. There are loads of bands etc doing a much better job. I loved your performance of This Is by Aslan.

I want them to bash the place up a bit, raise their fists and knock the fuck out of something. No more charm, no more smarm, no need to sell their wares. Make-up and costumes. Become something different. Set fire to something - to us.

I'm calling your church.

MindBlown.gif

So you knew fez or white as snow was going to be on the last album? Dude, like email me the lotto numbers for tomorrow.

Third person, no God, no injustice... it's like you've never listened to a U2 album before.

Become something different.

If you want them to become something different, maybe it's time to acknowledge that you're not a U2 fan anymore.

You'll always have the stuff you've loved, and can still be disappointed with their recent output, but jeez ... "become something different"? like, "please change what you sound like and what you sing about so maybe I'll like you again"? Sounds like maybe it's just time to move on, Mr./Ms. Floor.

Set fire to something - to us.

No, I'd prefer U2 not try to murder me. :(

I really hoped I had a funny gif about fire, but I don't. So here's Ron Swanson's range of emotions instead.

57.gif

But Moment of Surrender did exactly all of the things you asked for.
I mean, the lyrics are in third person and he actually sings that he set himself on fire at one point. What more do you want.

I was listening to a lot Clash over the last few days and thinking how I'd love if Bono wrote a song like Washington Bullets, and how I'd like them to have bit more fight in them, but the already made War and now they're on to something else. The lyrics on the last record were mostly pretty good, I liked the characters and that he was singing about things. Mos, White As Snow, and Cedars are among the best things he's written I want more of that. I think his main problem is that he, like the rest of the band, lacks the dedication necessary to produce great art. The vast majority of bands, U2 included, did their best work when they were working a lot. The same is true of the Beatles, Zeppelin, the Clash, Blur, Bowie, REM, Rush...

I don't want more vague relationship shit, or whatever he was on about on Bomb. I have a feeling that record is all about taking a good shit and the symbolism is a bit too obscure.

Get back to writing songs about us - normal people, with normal lives and normal problems and normal joys.

Maybe 20 years ago he could relate to ordinary people but it is hard to see how he can do that with his do-goodery in the world happening. Yawn.

Houston, we have a problem.

I know what it's like to be new, come on here, say something controversial, then have basically the entire forum come down on you like a rogue band of pain-stick wielding Klingons. So for that reason, I'll remain silent.

So I'll just say, welcome to the board...and good luck. You're going to need it. :)

Asking Bono not to sing about God is about like asking him not to be an Irish dwarf.
He is not a dwarf. He is a person who is small.

As for me, I'll be happy if (a) there is another album at some point, and (b) if there are no references to cockatoos.

Damn, Bono needs to sing about my food allergies since this is a topic of international relevance and interest to everyone. If he doesn't finally write a goddamn song about it, I'll never buy anything U2 will ever release again. :grumpy:

I agree with the main point. I would love to hear something out of the ordinary and just plain strange coming from U2. But I highly highly highly doubt that is going to happen. So I don't let it bother me anymore. There's millions of other bands to get into. U2's greatest classics will always be there for me. If they release a few good songs this decade, that's alright with me. And this is coming from someone who was personally angered by BOMB (and half of NLOTH). You'll get over it once you accept the realities of the situation.

If they release a few good songs this decade, that's alright with me. And this is coming from someone who was personally angered by BOMB (and half of NLOTH). You'll get over it once you accept the realities of the situation.

Yeah, pretty much. NLOTH had four v.good to excellent songs, if they can repeat that I'll actually be delighted at this point. The fact of the matter is that unless Bono catches his wife with the gardener or something, he's gonna be writing "LOVE IS EVOLUTION'S BEST DAY" type stuff for the rest of his life.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom