What song encompasses all aspects of U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You mean which song has the punky rebellion of the first 3 albums, the earnestness and passion of the next 3, the irony and experimentalism of the 3 that came after and the personal nature of the last 2? My answer would be none.

unnamed_streets said:
You mean which song has the punky rebellion of the first 3 albums, the earnestness and passion of the next 3, the irony and experimentalism of the 3 that came after and the personal nature of the last 2? My answer would be none.

:up: One of your best posts.

Mercy

-Drums and bass are straight out of the early 80s.

-the overall feel to the song is AB

-vocals are great AB vocals

-Edge's guitar during the verse is very UF, then gets very HTDAAB during the chorus and after the chorus (while Bono's sinigng 'I . . . I can't escape myself')

-for some reason, when the chorus kicks in ('when i was rippin the stitches') it feels very punk-rock. i dunno why

I don't know about "all aspects," but without a doubt Streets is U2's definitive song, whether or not it's anyone's absolute personal favorite

No guys....it's The Fly. There's parts where you can rock out. There's the huge guitar solo. And Bono sings very high and beautifully as well as low and mysteriously. The Fly = encompasses all of U2.

unnamed_streets said:
You mean which song has the punky rebellion of the first 3 albums, the earnestness and passion of the next 3, the irony and experimentalism of the 3 that came after and the personal nature of the last 2?

THE FLY!!!!

unnamed_streets said:
You mean which song has the punky rebellion of the first 3 albums, the earnestness and passion of the next 3, the irony and experimentalism of the 3 that came after and the personal nature of the last 2? My answer would be none. [/QUOTE

The Fly comes pretty close.
if i had to name a definitive u2 song i would go 'One' or 'Beautiful Day'.

well it's a bit hard to have irony and passion in the same song. But I like the choice of Mercy because it's Bono in his current writing style with a touch of the 90's magic. The "binary code" and "Nero" references give this love song a touch of the more worldly/culturally aware material. Bono's vocal delivery also has a few different styles. Musically, it really does seem to come from several different periods. It's somehow a combination of UF and AB, but recorded recently. So you have those 3 periods, but the punky rebellion part isn't really apparent. Of course the band would argue the first 3 albums were pre-maturity but anyway...

laz

No song has whole u2 from 1976-2005 in it, but there's one song close:
The Fly!!!!Doesn't matter the meaning it's just Edge on one of his tops(pop is another one), Bono high->low, Larry enters really hard, and Adam has his easy, perfect line.

What about Please? Live or the Single Version, it definitely is a U2 1990's song, but we hear various vocal styles as the song builds, the Edge's signature guitar and backing vocals later on, Adam's bass IS the song in the beginning, while Larry has to kick it at the end. Everyone's involved and it's a song that could have been on JT, AB, ATYCLB, HTDAAB, yet it came from POP. It's political yet it's a prayer. I think it makes for a strong argument, anyway.

Pero said:
No song has whole u2 from 1976-2005 in it, but there's one song close:
The Fly!!!!Doesn't matter the meaning it's just Edge on one of his tops(pop is another one), Bono high->low, Larry enters really hard, and Adam has his easy, perfect line.

I agree totally, Pero! The Fly is marvellous! You were absolutely right mentioning all those arguments to support your choice but there is one more reason - the video that is one of their brightest in my view!

THE FLY RULES!!!

stagman said:
Beatiful Day of course

Good choice :yes:

You have the straightforward, down to earth lyrics from the 3rd decade U2, the 80's-like riff in "touch me, teach me" part and Brian Eno's keyboard effects that could have been from the 90's.

unnamed_streets said:

I meant that Alex thing as a joke. :rolleyes:

I meant the Viva Davidoff thing as a joke too! Viva Davidoff represents nothing about U2, and I don't tend to stoop to insults like 'you fool' unless I'm being sarcastic.

In my opinion, there's no song that encompass every aspect of U2, but I really think there's an album with that profile: HTDAAB... this album has got a bit of everything U2 has done, experimented, etc...

My vote is for either "Pride" or "Until the End of the World" as the quintessential U2 song.

Until The End Of New Year's Sunday I Will Fly Where One Bad Blinding Light Descends Into Hell For Davidoff's Beautiful, Unforgettable Mercy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom