What do you think about Commercial bootleg?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hanoverquay

Babyface
if u2 will sell their concerts from the next tour, will you buy all of it?

what do you think?

is this the end of trading? :sad:

Another example of what I´m talking about. I´m not against U2 music, but I´m really against all this unfair commercial attitude just for first world countries:(

What happened with than band who said "we invite people to bootleg our shows and share the music... " ? :sad:

Itunes is not in all first world countries, only some of them. Not Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, Denmark.......

Yes it sucks. Im not suprised Itunes isnt accessable to Chile either.

Last edited:
beli said:
Itunes is not in all first world countries, only some of them. Not Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, Denmark.......

Yes it sucks. Im not suprised Itunes isnt accessable to Chile either.

you´re right :tsk:

ponkine said:
Another example of what I´m talking about. I´m not against U2 music, but I´m really against all this unfair commercial attitude just for first world countries:(

What happened with than band who said "we invite people to bootleg our shows and share the music... " ? :sad:

Well, they still can, can't they?
I don't think much will change for recording and trading audience recordings.

BTW, since you're still rallying at the commercial attitude, how do you think about exclusive songs only found on vinyl or CD?

:tsk:

Marty

Popmartijn said:

Well, they still can, can't they?
I don't think much will change for recording and trading audience recordings.

BTW, since you're still rallying at the commercial attitude, how do you think about exclusive songs only found on vinyl or CD?

:tsk:

Marty

I´d love to see all that exclusive stuff available for every fan, not just for UK nor Japan import editions, etc :tsk:

ponkine said:

I´d love to see all that exclusive stuff available for every fan, not just for UK nor Japan import editions, etc :tsk:

So basically you're disappointed in U2's commercial attitude since 1979...

Wasn't the question about whether we would buy them? I will buy it from the concert that I go to, and maybe one or two others that are supposed to be superlative or have a very different setlist from the one I went to.

As for trading, what is stopping you from continuing?

All the itunes "unreleased and rare" stuff and the recent Brooklyn itunes releases are all readily available on sharing networks. Has anyone actually NOT been able to find them ? Case closed.

I think people are jumping the gun on alot of stuff here. First, we dont know for sure they are doing official bootlegs. An off the cuff remark by Bono in an interview does not translate to its happening for sure.

Lets say it is happening, I believe it probebly will. Has there been any announcement saying it will be I tunes only? If so, please point me to the link as I'm interested to read.

If it is Itunes only the band are setting themselves up for bootlegs of the official bootlegs for those that dont have access to Itunes. It will happen, so either way it will occur.

The only potential problem is the distribution. Itunes only will kind of stink since it limits who can legitimately purchase them and it is a lossy format. If they offer the CD purchase option also (IE possibly through the U2.com store), then this is a dream come true. It still is anyway if its done IMO, there will be board recordings of every show out there. How is that a bad thing??

I second that.
I said it in an earlier thread--Pearl Jam releases their concers on CD, very simple, no fancy art or anything. Just the concert and the setlist. I have several of them from the Binaural tour, and they are great.

I'm sure U2 records all of their concerts anyway, so it shouldn't be that hard to release them. Plus, the sound quality is so much better than on homemade bootlegs. It'll be in nice stereo (haha, ideally DTS 5.1 surround, but that would be ass expensive) and you could buy it in a store so that it wouldn't matter if you live in Ireland, Australia, Calcutta, or the US.

Soulrock2 said:
They should do it the way Pearl Jam does and everyone would be happy.

I had one Pearl Jam live (Columbus) and it IS awesome. Performance quality aside it was extremely well recorded.

That said the Pearl Jam approach will not work with U2. I find Pearl Jam a bit more spontaneous with their setlists (ie. they play almost completely different sets at each performance) whereas with U2 they tend to stick a regular setlist and play more or less the same one throughout the entire tour.

That said I really could care less. I used have loads of recorded live stuff until I realised it was pointless owning twenty-five versions of 'One' which didn't differ that much anyway.

I worry that if live shows are "officially" released (iTunes), that trading will be affected. I am pretty sure that torrenting a show at easytree will not be allowed if the show is officially released, even if it's a different recording. Not sure about other torrent sites etc.

CTU2fan said:
I worry that if live shows are "officially" released (iTunes), that trading will be affected. I am pretty sure that torrenting a show at easytree will not be allowed if the show is officially released, even if it's a different recording. Not sure about other torrent sites etc.

Heaven forbid you might actually put forth some effort and GASP, burn a couple CD's and trade through the mail!! ;) I dont consider torrenting trading.

Last edited:
I would hope that itunes would come up with some kind of gapless format that would make these bootlegs easier to listen to on an ipod. I don't like gaps!

That said....I say bring em on anyways!!

I know. But my comment was to indicate that over the years U2 have put out music on 'exclusive' formats (i.e. vinyl only or CD only tracks). The songs on U2:3 are still not available on CD and such. So if you don't have a record player, you can't get those songs legally either. This isn't something from the past few years, unless you call 25 a few. :D

C ya!

Marty

Popmartijn said:
I know. But my comment was to indicate that over the years U2 have put out music on 'exclusive' formats (i.e. vinyl only or CD only tracks). The songs on U2:3 are still not available on CD and such. So if you don't have a record player, you can't get those songs legally either. This isn't something from the past few years, unless you call 25 a few. :D

C ya!

Marty

Those songs are available if you have lots of money. ie purchase a rare vinyl, have it copied to CD,etc. These things can be done with money. Legally, or mostly legally.

unlike Itunes where the choice is listen to them illegally or not at all :huh:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom