What Do they Open with???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Westport

Refugee
We are a little more than a week away from the start of the tour and I'm feeling pleasantly buzzed with tour anticipation...

I'm driving down to San Diego for opening night and am wondering so much about the show...from the technology, to whether they enter with the lights off...too the way they are going to dress...but I'll keep this thread centered on this question:

What song do they open this concert with?

I am guessing Vertigo but am hoping for something else....COBL or LPOE (I think this is a real possibility).

Thoughts?

Last edited:
There are lots of setlists discussions going in other places, but I still want to go on record for calling Love and Peace or Else months and months ago.

They opened the show under the Brooklyn Bridge with it and they'll do it for the tour..."Vertigo" it'll be.

I think City of Blinding Lights is a real longshot. I still remember my brother's remark after hearing the song for the first time.

"The intro sounds like an opening of a broadway musical..."

Song still rocks, but I think it would feel better later in the set.

I don't know about the opener of set 1, but I am betting that encore 1 opens with Elevation.

I just hope that they mix up the setlist more this tour. Last year on multiple nights they'd play the same setlist. I understand the challenge from a production standpoint, but I'd like to hear a good mix of songs from night to night. Not complaining!

EL - E - VA - TION!!!!

haha...just kidding.... umm...i'd go with Vertigo, ABOY, or LAPOE as well.....they have to start out with a real rocker....

u2wedge said:
I don't know about the opener of set 1, but I am betting that encore 1 opens with Elevation.

I'm torn on that part of the setlist.

I think there is a good chance that Streets may be moved to a spot where it can played in its JT/Lovetown format as I (and hopefully U2) think the "merger" into streets has been done to death... (RTSS, Please, Bad, AIWIY etc etc). Also if the rumours of it going into WOWY are true then it would totally lend itself to being played as the opener of the 1st encore... which would rule all and be the highlight of the night. (Also the intermision video that is being discussed in another thread sounds like it could be streetsey)

That being said... Elevation was an amazingly successful song live, almost too successful to cut - so if they were to play it, it would prolly be as a 1st encore opener.

I'm torn, but favour Streets.

Any other suggestions as to what could open the 1st encore?

On a side note... my suggestion as the possible encore run through is:

Encore 1
Streets
WOWY
Walk On

Encore 2
One
Yahweh

Give or take.

COBL, my guess for SD, My #2 guess would be Love Peace or Else.

I dont think Vertigo is going to open the show. (although it may at some point). This may be the tour of multiple setlists folks. GASP! What will the setlist bitchers talk about!! :lol:

Last edited:
Im going to have to go with Vertigo, I dont think COBL is a strong enough opener, its a sweet song, but not a concert opener(it would be great for an encore opener).

Seeing as some cities have as many as 8 shows they may really shake things up.

Remember at one of the 2001 chicago shows they opened with multi song "Zoo TV" set?

Judging by the rumours they could do a Boy, JT, Achtung, ATYCLB variation.

U2FP

i remember that for the elevation tour, opening night bono did not wear the jacket that he was much more known for wearing during the tour (most visible in Elevation Video, Superbowl, Boston & Slane)

Bono had 6-8 jackets on the 2001 tour. There's a picture in the U2SHOW of his wardrobe case.

Also, judging by the opening footage on Boston DVD, Bono's hair 'looked different' after the first night.

U2FP

i think we will see several openers. the shows were there are several nights in a row- you may get three or 4 different openers.

vertigo- an obvious choice
all because of you- i think it will open a show at some point
zoo station- maybe on one of the nights in chicago, or new york in november where there are several shows.
lapoe- possibility- although i think it will be somewhere in the middle of the set
cobl- not sure where this is coming from- that would be so anti-climatic as an opener, but i am definetly in the minority with this being my least favorite song on the htdaab.

I said it would be the Vertigo tour, and I say the opener will be Vertigo. :sexywink: I know these things.

Vertigo perhaps yes but City of Blinding Lights would be extraordinary....
Imagine that Intro, with the lights focusing only on Edge

I am placing my money on LOVE AND PEACE OR ELSE...Elevation was not one of my favorite songs on ATYCLB until they started opening with it... I have lots of ideas on all the ways they can start the show with the long intro of LAPOE...it totally reeks of classic U2 style of coming on stage....think abou it.

Oh My God I cant believe...one more week!!!!

lauren430 said:
I said it would be the Vertigo tour, and I say the opener will be Vertigo. :sexywink: I know these things.

:hmm: really :lol: Some of you are going to be suprised I think. (maybe I will be also!! ;) )

Think glitter ;)

I think LAPOE or Vertigo... but I'd lose it if they opened with Zoo Station *G* (I may lose it anyway, it'll be my first show :hyper: )

Counting down to Sept 12th...

I think LAPOE is the best possible opener.

Here’s an example of its potential power as opener. I got it from U2 East Link where a poster called chezPaul shared it with us.

h t t p://s17. y o u s e n d i t .com/d.aspx?id=1Z9GOYINTFOYU0XDJHTM68ZC83

(remove blanks)

Back
Top Bottom