What band should U2 pass the torch to?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No one. I think U2 should pour some water at the torch and burry it at their back garden and let some other band build a new torch and light it themselves. :grumpy:

Modest Mouse, they're a great band. They've been around for a long time as well and are finally getting their due.

Personally i don't think we've ever had it so good at the moment for a long time as far as good bands go.

in the last year or so, so many good new bands have emerged, the strokes, the killers, franz, snow patrol, kings of leon, bloc party, kaiser chiefs, the futureheads. i could go on. It's a shame some people can't appreciate good new music.

I don't think any of these bands could take the said torch from U2 just yet but i have to agree that the nearest one would definitely be Coldplay.

U2 are just fine at the moment though as i think HTDAAB is a great album

I think there are lots of good new rock bands around these days - some getting mainstream recognition, others not. But none of them seem to have the potential to be GREAT bands instead of just good bands. Remember when Bono was on the Larry King show and he talked about why he thought U2 succeeded? He said they weren't a good band, but were a great band because they had that "it" factor. You can have everything else, but if you don't have that certain spark or charisma or uniqueness or however you want to define "it," you aren't going to be remembered for very long.

Last edited:
ImOuttaControl said:

You mean lines like these aren't great?

"I've got soul but I'm not a soldier"

"Somebody told me that you had a boyfriend, who looked like a girlfriend that I had in february of last year"

The funny thing is, even my friends who are usually completely indifferent to lyrics were telling me that the music I've been listening to lately "doesn't fuckin make any sense"...(the killers, franz ferdinand, modest mouse)

The Killers have great sound to their music, but it's so drenched in the 80's that I think they'll be a total fad. BTW, I do love "Hot Fuss," but I listen to it at face value cuz there isn't much depth to it.

Just about as great as:
"Unos, dos, tres, catorce....checkmated, hours of fun"
"The air is heavy, heavy as a truck"
"A mole diggin' in a hole..."

These marvels come from a "veteran" wordsmith...cut The Killers a little slack, it's only their first album. IMO, the more wannabe U2's there are, the better!!

BTW, I think it boils down to band chemistry and I can see a lot of glimpses of that with Coldplay. I am REALLY looking forward to their new album this spring and am pulling for them to succeed critically, artistically, and commercially.

I'm pretty sure U2 are done "pushing the envelope" and are now more driven to write great tunes...a la The Beatles and Stones.

Sting's comment in the original post had nothing to do with the actual quality of music or lyrics; it was about "the next big band". And I think that in the current ultra-fragmented music climate, superbands like U2 are a dying breed and the only bands with huge global sales are the ones that have been around for a while already. Yeah, yeah, we get all these "ROCK IS BACK!!!" headlines from Rolling Stones & Co, but when new rock bands' 2+ million sales worldwide are described as "huge success", that tells you everything about how "big" rock music is.

Here's my formula for Coldplay

Rip off the best bits of U2 + add in a little Beatles flavor + a little radiofriendly Radiohead/Thom Yorke singing= something not as good as the original bands

Don't get me wrong, Coldplay has some good songs- but Coldplay are like Oasis was a few years ago at their height-

a great "copy band" that haven't really come up with an original thought yet-

And if they are going to be even considered in this thread- I definitely think that they will need to- quote Bono "own some original colors" before they should be considered

To contextualize, stadium rock in the 80s was huge. It's dead now. In the 60s, rock music brought people together. Punk in the 70s said "we're different." U2 in the 80s again embodied that grand, unifying possibility of rock music that I haven't seen any band pull off since hiphop blew up.

The only exception I could really find would be OutKast. Accessible, lyrically brilliant, alter-egos on stage, slick music, and they have that "spark." If it was 6-7 years ago, I'd say pass the torch to them.

What about Collective Soul? They have put out some good music. They have established 6 records. It’s too bad that there not as recognized internationally like Coldplay and other band. Collective Soul should have though tours on a grander scale and had bigger ideas.
Just a though

Cheers

Dishwalla, or maybe Better than Ezra.

If you aren't familiar with their music, listen to the albums "Opaline" and "Closer" and you'll see there's definite potential for future greatness.

what's wrong with the Killers lyrics? i mean the fit well, they match the sound of the music, and sure, the soul/soldiers line is a little corny, but the rest of the lyrics are fresh, no stupid cliches or anything. and the gutiar/synth mix is done perfectly

Pearl Jam - Could have taken the torch after/during the POP-era with their "Yeild" album, but laid low. "Binaural" and "Riot Act" more or less stunk up the joint. I think we may still see a PJ resurgence, but I doubt they'll position themselves in such a way to "claim" the title. Musically, they are it already.

Radiohead - They remind me of The Cure - 50% of their stuff is great - the other half is totally inaccessible. They dont want it.

Coldplay - I like 'em, but they are too soft. They are what they are but they arent going to move anyone.

Killers/FF/MM/Snow Patrol, etc - flashes in the pan. They are fun to listen to, but there's no substance to them - and they seem to want it that way.

I dont think Pop Culture will allow for another "Best Band in the World" actually. We are all too fickle and even good bands (DMB) wear thin because they are overexposed.

No band in the world has the world wide appeal of U2 and until we see that band there isnt going to be a next one. Coldplay I guess is the closest thing to it right now.

It needs to be a band that can break a barrier both in the US and Europe and not just once consistantly....Oasis had their chance and it didnt happen consistantly.

stagman said:
No other band is in the vicininity.
However if Powderfinger lift their appeal to a wider audience they have the talent.
Watchout for a band called 'Evermore' from New Zealand

Powderfinger are absolutely sensational and deserve much more success.

Evermore? I'm always interested in new Kiwi bands. The Feelers are one of my favourites. Playground Battle is a great record.

What about silverchair...they are still only 23/24..which means they are where u2 were around war.....they have four awesome albums....the last being diarama which is an Aussie classic...!!!

stagman said:

Just checked them out, and I want to know why the hell crap like The Killers and Kings Of Leon are getting fame and attention while bands like Evermore are being overlooked.

They seem like a great band. :up:

stagman said:

Now look what you've done, stagman. Not only have I found myself hooked on For One Day, and not only am I scouring the depths of my collection of Kiwi music (I cannot comprehend why the absolutely brilliant NZ musical scene is so often ignored), I'm now stuck trying to decide what to buy online. Evermore, The Chills, Split Enz ...

grbounds said:
Dishwalla, or maybe Better than Ezra.

If you aren't familiar with their music, listen to the albums "Opaline" and "Closer" and you'll see there's definite potential for future greatness.

Doubt it. Both these bands started out strong and then faded away fast. They may still be making music but to be the biggest you need to be constantly going up not down.

Coldplay? Seriously? They should call themselves Radiohead Lite. I think when Thom Yorke throws a song out they wait around the dumpster to pick it up. That being said, Yorke has thrown out a decent song or three. I can see the Killers and Snow Patrol being flashes in the pan, but I wouldn't throw Franz Ferdinand in there with them, at least not yet. As for Modest Mouse, no fucking way. If you think they will, then you know nothing about them. I would keep an eye on Interpol.

1stepcloser said:
The Killers have real potential.

Radiohead=the most overrated band of all time.

wrong on both accounts.

Quite simply there isnt a band out there right now that really truely wants to take on the spotlight of being the biggest band in the world and thats a shame.

Back
Top Bottom