What a day!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caroltheone

The Fly
I don't know why, but I just wanted to "talk" about what happened this morning....One of our messengers decided to jump over the railing of the internal staircase from the 48th floor to the 38th floor and killed himself. A number of people saw him going down, as the staircase is open at all floors.

He has been with this firm for 14 years and while I didn't really know him, I'm pretty upset. I wasn't even here when it happened (because I'm always late), but I just can't shake the feeling of how awful this is.

Why would someone do this? I know there are no answers, but it is haunting me.

Just needed to "talk" about it. Thanks.

I think the one thing that keeps coming into my mind is that you really never know.

I guess that's what can make life so scary - and so great, too. But when it's bad, it can get REALLY bad.

Thanks for the sympathy, guys!

caroltheone
:sad: It's sad that some persons believe the only exit for their situation might be suicide - most of them would have decided in another way if they just had someone to talk about their problems.
It's sad to see that someone throws his life away

caroltheone said:
Why would someone do this? I know there are no answers, but it is haunting me.

You're right...there are no answers...just speculation. Everybody wonders about it though. It's a hard situation, and one can never know what was going through that person's mind. It's so hard. I'm very sorry.

omg, that's horrible :(

I've know a few people who have attempted it and one who succeeded...I can't begin to understand why but they obviously felt there was no other way to deal with things.

:hug:

Like you said when life gets bad it gets really bad and the most unreasonable idea suddenly feels just about right and your only way out.

It's a horrible, horrible thing. I hope he didn't have any family. I'm very sorry. :hug:

Thanks, everyone, for your support and thoughts.

I've been thinking...I (like most people) can relate to feelings of isolation, desperation - and just feeling horrible. And the difference between someone who decides to "tough it out" and someone who takes his life - is just a single decision. It all seems so fragile.

I can't help but wonder - what if someone were extra friendly to this man this morning; what if he were too busy and was too distracted; what if circumstances were different? Would that have been enough to change the outcome? How much or how little would it have taken to tip the scale in the other direction?

I don't know... I think I'm looking for reason in an insane (or as mentioned "unreasonable") moment - and control/power over a situation completely out of anyone else's control.

This man was survived by family, but I don't know if he was married or if there are any children. I'm really seeing how totally selfish suicide is. It really sucks!!

Thanks again, everyone. I just joined this forum last night and it is so nice to feel so supported and understood.

Back
Top Bottom