Well well, it finally happened

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lancemc

Blue Crack Addict
...and it's about fricken time!

4 or 5 days ago I posted about how Original of the Species hadn't quite worked for me yet. It just seemed a little "off" to me the first few days I listened to the album. However, just 5 minutes ago it finally happened. Like any truely great song, it eventually came to me like a vision. All the wierd little choruses and bridges finally meshed together and the song's climax started to make sense for me. And I must say, I am left very very satisfied. It's not my favorite song on the album yet, but I certainly wouldn't put being number 1 too far ahead of this track. Here's how I stand right now.

1. Miracle Drug (and by quite a long stretch. It's gonna take alot for OOTS to knock this one outta here.

2. City of Blinding Lights (The most passion I've heard from the boys sinse Streets)

3. Original of the Species (Everywhere you go you shout it, this song finally hit me like a sack of bricks.)

So that's how things are as of November 28, and I'm sure they'll be different in another week or so. But that's just what's so great about this album.

The same thing just kinda happened to me. I had OOTS as 10th favorite of the new songs, right in front of One Step Closer. I was bored last night and listened to OOTS and thought to myself 'how could I have not liked this song before?' Now it's about my 6th or 7th favorite. It'll probably move up more as I listen to it.

IrishDawg said:
The same thing just kinda happened to me. I had OOTS as 10th favorite of the new songs, right in front of One Step Closer. I was bored last night and listened to OOTS and thought to myself 'how could I have not liked this song before?' Now it's about my 6th or 7th favorite. It'll probably move up more as I listen to it.

Just out of curiosity, which are your top three as of right now?

:up: My second favorite.

1) Sometimes
2) Original
3) One step closer (currently, this one may change over time)

1. All because of you
2. City of blinding lights
3. Love and peace or else

love and peace or else WAS my #1 song on the album but the more i listen the more my top 3 changes! next week it will probably be completely different.

interesting to see that your top 3 right now are in that order on the album. Well, they go backwards, but still. The LAPOE-->COBL-->ABOY triplet of songs is just amazing, and it just builds and builds until Bono lets out that Roger Daltrey shout and Edge rips into the solo in ABOY. Just amazing.:drool:

i completely suck at trying to rank U2 songs, but what the hey.

'original' is my favourite, and was the first time i listened to the bomb in entirety. it just makes me happy.

'crumbs' is fantastic, both lyrically and musically

'sometimes' still makes me mysty eyed when i hear it. picture this live in an arena with 60 000 emoting the song back to bono--it's going to be a religious experience.

these are the three that i'm loving most at this moment. allow me to add that there are no weak tracks on the bomb--i love them all. it took me a few listens to warm up to 'yahweh', but since hearing the alternate version, i had a similar a-ha moment with it.

:drool:

dandy said:
i completely suck at trying to rank U2 songs, but what the hey.

'original' is my favourite, and was the first time i listened to the bomb in entirety. it just makes me happy.

'crumbs' is fantastic, both lyrically and musically

'sometimes' still makes me mysty eyed when i hear it. picture this live in an arena with 60 000 emoting the song back to bono--it's going to be a religious experience.

these are the three that i'm loving most at this moment. allow me to add that there are no weak tracks on the bomb--i love them all. it took me a few listens to warm up to 'yahweh', but since hearing the alternate version, i had a similar a-ha moment with it.

:drool:

Must be a Canadian thing because this would have been pretty close to my post lol! :up:

The same thing happened to me with OOTS, and also with "One Step Closer." I thought these two were a little boring on the first and second listen, but now I really like them! (I'm still not 100% with "Crumbs," but I like it more than I did at first.)

Doesn't anyone like "A Man and a Woman"? That might just be my favorite song on the whole album. But then again, I really can't think of any songs on the album that I flat out don't like. They're all good! Really, really good!

Same here, OOTS was my least favorite, just seemed over the top with the dooo dooo dooo's near the end and the orchestra accompaniment. Now, I love it and it is certainly one of the best on the album. One Step Closer as well, faring much better than a few weeks ago. LAPOE is the one that I loved at first but is not aging well, it's going to be like New York.

1. Original OOS
2. Crumbs
3. Miracle Drug

Followed by (depending on day) by All Because Of You, One Step Closer, Ver.... ah, what the hell, the whole bloody disc is doing me well!

The same thing just happened 2 days ago for Yahweh for me. WOW! WHAT A SONG I am now telling myself.\

The whole way it builds up to the "this love's a drop in the ocean" and Edge's guitar comes in as the emotinal high in the song and it kicks back into the chorus groove.

Incredible song as well :)

1) Sometimes - already a classic before heard live, and about to become the most popular U2 song ever IMO

2) Crums - simply stunning !

3) more difficult, so many- but if pushed AMAAW (with LAPOE just behind).

after maybe 60 listens still not sold on ABOY, OSC & OOTS - not bad songs by any stretch (akll at least 7/10), but still behind the above from a really stellar album.

Mike

U2democrat said:
1. All because of you
2. City of blinding lights
3. Love and peace or else

love and peace or else WAS my #1 song on the album but the more i listen the more my top 3 changes! next week it will probably be completely different.

Yeah that's all fine and dandy but what blew my mind was the amount of POSTS you have made since August of 2004! Holy crap, man!

-Miggy

Miggy D said:

Yeah that's all fine and dandy but what blew my mind was the amount of POSTS you have made since August of 2004! Holy crap, man!

-Miggy

lol. my goal is to get to new yorker today. but starsgoblue has twice as many posts as me and she joined in august too!!!! :ohmy:

That's funny, b/c it just "clicked" with me last night, too. Something about when Bono sings "Everywhere you go you shout it" just hit me as cool at that point. So it's my fourth or fifth favorite now.

As of right now, my listing for top 3 is:
1) AM&AW
2)Love & Peace
3)Fast Cars :reject: (Sorry :shrug: - I just sooo dig this track!!)

Truth is, the only song that I still have reservations about is One Step Closer. I want to like it more because of its inspiration, but so far - I can't get into it.

My 3 favorite right now:

1) COBL
2) Sometimes
3) Crumbs

Still can't figure out how Mercy didn't make this album!

After three weeks of listening to these songs every day, here are my current top three:

1. COBL
2. ABOY
3. OOTS

I also have grown to love them all.

BluRmGrl said:
As of right now, my listing for top 3 is:
1) AM&AW
2)Love & Peace
3)Fast Cars :reject: (Sorry :shrug: - I just sooo dig this track!!)

Truth is, the only song that I still have reservations about is One Step Closer. I want to like it more because of its inspiration, but so far - I can't get into it.

I would have written the SAME exact thing as you! I totally agree with ALL of it! :up:

Back
Top Bottom