Weener, Lower Saxony, Germany Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a shame.

I'm supremely confident Manly will win - frankly I'd be very surprised if Melbourne stay within 10 points of them.

But I've not been good with predicting Grand Finals before.

Well, the way you've been talking about the two teams during the whole finals series, I'm honestly kind of expecting a blow-out.

Well, the way you've been talking about the two teams during the whole finals series, I'm honestly kind of expecting a blow-out.

If they continue in the form they've been in, Manly should win by 20.

But Melbourne have been here the last two years, even without a few players they should be good enough to stay with Manly.

As confident as I am, I wouldn't bet my own money on this.

I take it they're not going well?

We've lost the first two games of a best of five series, and are currently losing game three by three runs. Only three more innings for us to score left...our bats have been completely dead...9 outs to go...it doesn't look good :sad:

Golden point is pretty much a field goal shoot-out anyway. I'd prefer a flat 10 minutes of extra time and take the result from there than the lottery of golden point.

I think it's a bit rough though, to lose in a lottery to an arsey field goal - although an arsey field goal in the 83rd minute is much the same as an arsey field goal in the 79th minute.

And yeah, I'd love to see an AFL Grand Final end in a draw. You would think that by now they'd have the sense to have an extra time period, although there's bound to be enough people sucking the AFL's schlong that it's worth their while financially to have a second grand final, as antiquated as replays are.

I'd love to see someone book the MCG and Telstra Dome for the weekend after the AFL Grand Final, see what they do.

Yeah, that's a fair point. Unless you've a Jonny Wilkinson on your team, a drop kick seems to just be trusting to fate that you happen to have that 1 in 20 success.

I don't see why the AFL would EVER move away from grand final replays. Let's face it - if it ever happens again, you can guarantee that 100,000 rabid Victorians are going to snap up tickets to the replay within about ten minutes of them going on sale. The AFL would make a killing, and if they pray for replays I wouldn't be shocked.

I'd be willing to bet that every year, they have the MCG set aside a week from the final just in case they do need a replay.

If they continue in the form they've been in, Manly should win by 20.

But Melbourne have been here the last two years, even without a few players they should be good enough to stay with Manly.

As confident as I am, I wouldn't bet my own money on this.

After last weekend, I'm not putting too much faith in "they've been here before; they know how to turn it on" logic, given what happened to the Cats!

By the way, you would be LOVING the Melbourne media right now. Every chance they get to take a dump on league, they're taking - and the Storm's pissy behaviour is just making it too easy. Last night, I caught some lengthy story about a 1986 Kangaroos team being inducted into a Hall of Fame, but the story wasn't about that, it was going on about how those players think the current game is boring. It was so clearly presented for an AFL-loving audience.

God...I really am praying no. I know God doesn't care about sports, but I wish just this one time, he'd maybe help the Cubs knock a few in :lol:

God...I really am praying no. I know God doesn't care about sports, but I wish just this one time, he'd maybe help the Cubs knock a few in :lol:

God doesn't care about sports? Tell that to the crazy Italian sports fans I've seen crossing themselves and praying fervently!

God doesn't care about sports? Tell that to the crazy Italian sports fans I've seen crossing themselves and praying fervently!

It's sort of a joke. God has to be impartial, because there's always someone on either side praying for a win XD

It's sort of a joke. God has to be impartial, because there's always someone on either side praying for a win XD

Yeah, I've always thought "wait, hang on a minute ... you're effectively praying that thousands of people go home unhappy!"

Which I don't think is entirely unjustified when your opponent is Australia. :wink:

After last weekend, I'm not putting too much faith in "they've been here before; they know how to turn it on" logic, given what happened to the Cats!

By the way, you would be LOVING the Melbourne media right now. Every chance they get to take a dump on league, they're taking - and the Storm's pissy behaviour is just making it too easy. Last night, I caught some lengthy story about a 1986 Kangaroos team being inducted into a Hall of Fame, but the story wasn't about that, it was going on about how those players think the current game is boring. It was so clearly presented for an AFL-loving audience.

It's not just the Melbourne media, most of the media always seems to love to play the negative with league.

I'm always genuinely surprised to see a positive league story in Australian media. It's like how when the Tigers won in 2005, first joint-venture to win it, big fan favourite team, great game....and the media focuses on the players dropping one or two f-bombs after the game during the victory lap at about 9:30pm.

And with all due respect to the older players, I've seen older games. They're slow, far less skillful. How you can claim today's league is boring I'll never know. Unless you're comparing the NRL to the Super League in Europe. That league murders the NRL in pace and skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom