Vertigo screen vs Popmart screen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheFly40

The Fly
Has anyone on this board been to BOTH a European Vertigo show and a Popmart show? Curious which screen has a better resolution in person? Based on the pictures (even from far away) the Vertigo screen seems very blocky. Popmart seemed to have a better resolution--kind of strange considering that was 8 years ago and we're in the age of High Definition everything. I would assume the pixilated design was done on purpose.

didnt POPMART use the worlds largest TV while the vertigo screens are made up of little screens?

popmart screen was definitely higher resolution

i wonder if they are intentionally using a lower resolution to match the graphics and the light curtains of the indoor leg or if it is just a lower resolution screen

the reason they made the vertigo screen as it is (split up the huge video screen into tiny 9x9 or 10x10 screens) is because they probably don't want blown bulbs to stick out like a sore thumb-- which they did in popmart

The technology is there to create a popmart sized video wall with a resolution that would knock your socks off. But it would be prohibitively expensive. It boils down to $$$ like cmb says

I dont know about the POP-screen, but the Vertigo-screens "split up" around the middle (a bit higher).
The upper screen lifts up and out come giant spotlights, each one monitored by a roadie. Gives the impression of canons being pointed at the crowd.
The spotlights shine in red and are used during the anti-war section of the gig.

:drool:

personally thought the PopMart visuals were far more impressive. Then again it was a bright night in Manchester surprisingly.

Wasn't as impressed with last nights show as I was Elevation or PopMart.

May change that after Glasgow next week if I get a crowd of people around me more interested in the music rather than being able to gloat about being at a U2 gig.

Which screen is the biggest... in terms of size I mean...?

It looks like Popmart but since you haven't actually seen either of them... You never know ;)

The popmart screen was definately bigger, i thought it was the best show too, i really enjoyed last night, but the light didn't help, i was preying for it not to rain but i didn't expect sunshine!!! A lot of people on the 3rd tier seemed to be blinded by the sun, i felt sorry for them!:wink:

Wierd thing was that the band came on at 8:30pm last night which was way too early as it was still light and you couldn't make out the screen.

ZooTV2005 said:
Wierd thing was that the band came on at 8:30pm last night which was way too early as it was still light and you couldn't make out the screen.
the band had to be on then, 10:30 cerfew

ZooTV2005 said:

That's exactly what I thought in Brussels. I have no idea if there's a curfew in my capital too, but opening in the dark would have made a difference. Until the end of the world would have been better in the dark. It lost its usual special effects now that it was played when it was still light.

wouldn't it have been smarter to play Europe in the fall or spring and the US in the summer given the outdoors and curfew issues? The US will have dark arenas no matter what time of day, so put them in the summer. THe europe outdoors venues will be darker much earlier in the fall and spring.

njelevation06 said:
wouldn't it have been smarter to play Europe in the fall or spring and the US in the summer given the outdoors and curfew issues? The US will have dark arenas no matter what time of day, so put them in the summer. THe europe outdoors venues will be darker much earlier in the fall and spring.

totally agree with you, probably got something to do with our rubbish weather though!:(

adele said:
The popmart screen was definately bigger, i thought it was the best show too, i really enjoyed last night, but the light didn't help, i was preying for it not to rain but i didn't expect sunshine!!! A lot of people on the 3rd tier seemed to be blinded by the sun, i felt sorry for them!:wink:

I reckon popmart was certainly wider but the current one looks taller.

U2FanPeter said:
*serious question*

Is Coldplay touring with the screen seen in their new video?

*serious question*

u2fp

I don't think that screen could fit in most of the venues they are playing. They're primarily playing the crappy amphitheater venues. Usually there's not a whole lot a band can do in terms of production. Everything is already laid out.

njelevation06 said:

Not Possible, they have to tour Europe in summer if they want to play stadiums, because then the football season has ended.

For the first time however. I am happy that the Amsterdam Arena has a roof, which will probably make it darker.....besides that, stadiums with roofs suck big time!!

My 2 cents:

I would have to say that this screen is of a higher technology (in terms of LED's and construction) than Popmart, but may in fact end up being the same resolution. As the LED's in Popmart can be seen as individual light sources, the LED's here are bundled in premanufactured modules. Now it is my assumption that these Barco modules are made to be put together in any configuration to make any shaped screen, but the designers were probably going for a lower resolution for the cost they had to spend.

I mean if the screen cost them 5 million (let's just say) and the modules are spaced pretty evenly with an equal space between them, it would go up by a factor of at least 3 if the modules wer added between and above where they are now to create a "full" screen. This would bring the cost to 15 million. In real terms - if the screen is costing them 10 million, that would translate to 30. They probably had to give a little in resolution to get the sized screen they wanted for the cost they wanted to spend.

I just wonder how big the screen would be with the modules they are using now if they were put together snug. I guess half as wide, and half as tall - still very big.

Back
Top Bottom