USA glad we are 2nd leg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

badu2fan

The Fly
After the tough start to Popmart I am glad they are going to start in Europe. the stage has never been put together completly and I doubt they will have more then a week to learn the stage and its capabilities and limitations. The USA has been there rehersal tour for over 10 years.
So by the time they make it to us they will have become comfortable with the stage and Willie should have the lights and cameras fine tuned............
Then in the spring summer 2010 the tour will progress as they will have released another album by Christmas.
So the second round will be total unique.

:applaud::up:

I was thinking the same thing. by the time the band hit Chicago they will be in fine form instead of finding the magic.

Personally, I prefer the first leg to the second leg, as the band try to figure out how to play songs and some fall by the wayside. The earlier shows can be more unique, before things get finely honed. So I'm glad the first leg is in Europe, since that's where I'm able to travel to this year.

Personally, I prefer the first leg to the second leg, as the band try to figure out how to play songs and some fall by the wayside. The earlier shows can be more unique, before things get finely honed. So I'm glad the first leg is in Europe, since that's where I'm able to travel to this year.

agreed. until the band started breaking out WGRYWH, electric OOTS, and Miss Sarajevo, the 2nd leg setlists were not nearly as unpredictable as the 1st leg.

glad i'm going to Chicago then, since it will still be the first show of the 2nd leg, so at least it's doubtful that they'll play the same old setlist.....hopefully.....

You make a good point, but I still find by and large that U2 don't seem to always be at their best early in a tour. I saw one of the first few Zoo TV shows (Hampton, VA), and it was pretty flat compared to the other shows I've seen U2 perform between '85 and '01. It certainly wasn't a result of the new material (stunning album) or their capacity to deliver transcendent shows on that tour. I just think they were too distracted trying to get their sea legs with all the new equipment to put themselves into the show.

I also saw the last show of the Joshua Tree Tour (per Bono, the shows scheduled in Tempe, AZ a week later weren't concerts - they were a movie set - "The rock n' roll stops here" - guess he might have just been being nice :) ), and it was wildly spontaneous, including Larry Mullen Jr. stepping out in front to sing a few bars of The Eagles' Tequila Sunrise.

You make a good point, but I still find by and large that U2 don't seem to always be at their best early in a tour. I saw one of the first few Zoo TV shows (Hampton, VA), and it was pretty flat compared to the other shows I've seen U2 perform between '85 and '01. It certainly wasn't a result of the new material (stunning album) or their capacity to deliver transcendent shows on that tour. I just think they were too distracted trying to get their sea legs with all the new equipment to put themselves into the show.

I also saw the last show of the Joshua Tree Tour (per Bono, the shows scheduled in Tempe, AZ a week later weren't concerts - they were a movie set - "The rock n' roll stops here" - guess he might have just been being nice :) ), and it was wildly spontaneous, including Larry Mullen Jr. stepping out in front to sing a few bars of The Eagles' Tequila Sunrise.

I enjoy all the little imperfections of the early shows, plus I think that once the band reaches about the mid-point of the first leg, they hit a stage where they're in fine playing form but haven't quite nailed down the actual "show" component like they have by the second or third leg. Some of the very early shows, as you mention, can be a bit dodgy in some respects, but my philosophy is that you win some and you lose some. I'll take my chances on odd sets and funny mistakes.

Oh, and Tequila Sunrise was in Hampton on 12 December 1987. :wink:

Bono's voice usually starts to get slightly raspy after the 2nd month of a tour.

On the post-Popmart tours his voice was at it's best somewhere around week3-to-week 6.

Although, this tour has shorter legs and possibly more off days(depending on added shows) than Elevation or Vertigo.

Back
Top Bottom