US Politics XXXV: My Insurrection Lasted More Than 4 Hours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oh, this is brilliant.

I really continue to appreciate how these hearings are openly reminding us that the Republicans in power, as well as the pundits on Fox News, were openly condemning Trump and his actions on January 6th and shortly afterward, and were also begging him to call off the mob (and weren't afraid to call them a mob besides) and give up on the nonsense conspiracy theories, and wanting him to resign. They can bend over all they want now to defend Trump and deny they were ever speaking against him, but we have evidence that proves otherwise, and we need to never let them live it down. Trump supporters thought Pence betrayed them, just wait'll they learn about what people like Hannity and McCarthy and McConnell said.

Other random observations from tonight's hearings...

-There's something really bizarre about Trump having actual outtakes from a press conference to address the attack on January 6th, like it was some kind of blooper reel from a sitcom or something. But of course, it's also not surprising that he didn't speak off the cuff, and that he did have outtakes, because everything, even the aftermath of an attempt to overthrow our election, has to be a grand TV moment for Trump.

And of course he wouldn't speak off the cuff, because, well, we've seen what he's like when he does.

-I still can't get over Pence taking charge and actually doing the responsible, logical things that Trump should've been doing that day. I don't know what weirds me out more, that fact, or people constantly referring to him as "animated" that day.

-Trump really literally did not care if people lived or died that day. Again, not surprising, really, because he had the same attitude during the pandemic, but even so...

-Those people storming the Capitol really, truly are a special kind of stupid.

-I REALLY want to know who those senators are that Trump was calling that day. I can hazard a guess as to who some of them might be, but yeah, let's get some names. I know there's no phone records available, but I've watched enough true crime shows to know that there are ways to try and retrieve hidden/deleted phone calls and texts and such.

Last edited:
The police handcuffed the guy who "hit" that loser. Hopefully he didn't actually get arrested, that was a real acting job.

I don't understand why Officer Fanone isn't being provided security. The man was beaten, tasered, and had a heart attack.

Are you a real police officer? Honestly I'd like to smack her.

"I thought he ran like a coward," Fanone told CNN's Don Lemon on Thursday.

"Like many people in Trump world, he performs when he's in front of a camera, and he acts very differently when he is not," he added.

Fanone also lamented that "a lot of Americans" tend to react positively to such behavior.

The former police officer also had some choice words for Hawley when interviewed by Politico.

"Well, to be completely honest, to give you the first thoughts that popped into my mind — Josh Hawley is a bitch. And he ran like a bitch," Fanone said when asked about the Hawley clip.

"The fist pump, combined with what he did in the immediate aftermath just shows the true character or lack thereof," he added, referring to the lawmaker.

Fanone told Politico that there was an "eruption" of laughter after the video clip of Hawley fleeing was played.

"Listen, obviously, I see the amusement of it, and I'm not going to fault people for finding it humorous, but that pisses me off. That guy's a clown," Fanone said.

Bannon guilty on two counts of criminal contempt of Congress. Could be only 30 days in jail or as much as a year. At least it's something?
I scootered past him while he was giving his press conference outside the courthouse. I tried to give him the finger but I almost fell. And I'm really hoping no cameras caught me almost falling in the background.

considering it would be an instant-classic interference meme, i sincerely hope that all the cameras caught you almost falling off your scooter.

I have no words for what a worthless piece of trash he is.

Tallahassee Democrat

Matt Gaetz told a crowd of young people at a conference here Saturday that women protesting abortion access are less likely to get pregnant because they aren't attractive.

"Why is it that the women with the least likelihood of getting pregnant are the ones most worried about having abortions?" Gaetz said. "Nobody wants to impregnate you if you look like a thumb."

Gaetz went on to say that "these people are odious on the inside and out. They're like 5'2, 350 pounds and they're like 'give me my abortions or I'll get up and march and protest' and I'm thinking: 'March? You look like you got ankles weaker than the legal reasoning behind Roe vs Wade.' A few of them need to get up and march. They need to get up and march for like an hour a day, swing those arms, get the blood pumping, maybe mix in a salad."

I have no words for what a worthless piece of trash he is.

Tallahassee Democrat

Matt Gaetz told a crowd of young people at a conference here Saturday that women protesting abortion access are less likely to get pregnant because they aren't attractive.

"Why is it that the women with the least likelihood of getting pregnant are the ones most worried about having abortions?" Gaetz said. "Nobody wants to impregnate you if you look like a thumb."

Gaetz went on to say that "these people are odious on the inside and out. They're like 5'2, 350 pounds and they're like 'give me my abortions or I'll get up and march and protest' and I'm thinking: 'March? You look like you got ankles weaker than the legal reasoning behind Roe vs Wade.' A few of them need to get up and march. They need to get up and march for like an hour a day, swing those arms, get the blood pumping, maybe mix in a salad."

Considering the widescreen he calls a forehead, he's about the last person who should be harping on about others' appearance. He's a Trump crony, though, so, y'know, not surprised.

But hey, it's all "just locker room talk", right, Trump supporters?

Seriously. Al Franken stepped down, but this disphit who's currently under investigation for sex trafficking is still there. Consequences for thee, but not for me.

The Republican Party’s primary focus this year should be on making the political party one of Christian nationalism, Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) said Saturday.

“We need to be the party of nationalism and I’m a Christian, and I say it proudly, we should be Christian nationalists,” she said in an interview with the conservative Next News Network while attending the Turning Point USA Student Action Summit in Florida.

JD Vance: women should tough out violent marriages for the sake of the children. take it on the chin, ladies. it's best for the kids.

“This is one of the great tricks that I think the sexual revolution pulled on the American populace, which is the idea that like, ‘well, OK, these marriages were fundamentally, you know, they were maybe even violent, but certainly they were unhappy. And so getting rid of them and making it easier for people to shift spouses like they change their underwear, that’s going to make people happier in the long term,’” Vance said.

“And maybe it worked out for the moms and dads, though I’m skeptical. But it really didn’t work out for the kids of those marriages,” Vance continued. “And that’s what I think all of us should be honest about, is we’ve run this experiment in real time. And what we have is a lot of very, very real family dysfunction that’s making our kids unhappy.”

Vance was responding to a moderator who referenced his grandparents’ relationship before asking, “What's causing one generation to give up on fatherhood when the other one was so doggedly determined to stick it out, even in tough times?" And those comments came immediately after he brought up his grandparents’ relationship and how it differed from his parents’ generation. He described their marriage as “violent” in his best-selling book “Hillbilly Elegy,” though they’d reconciled by the time he came along and helped raise him, giving him a sense of safety and stability his mother was unable to provide.

“Culturally, something has clearly shifted. I think it’s easy but also probably true to blame the sexual revolution of the 1960s. My grandparents had an incredibly chaotic marriage in a lot of ways, but they never got divorced, right? They were together to the end, ’til death do us part. That was a really important thing to my grandmother and my grandfather. That was clearly not true by the 70s or 80s,” he said.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/93a...le-in-violent-marriages-shouldnt-get-divorced

Republicans hate women.

Delusional and very dangerous individual

HuffPost
Steve Bannon Calls On '4,000 Shock Troops' To 'Deconstruct' The Government 'Brick By Brick'
Mary Papenfuss
July 25, 2022, 8:12 pm

Fresh from a double contempt of Congress conviction linked to his role in the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection, Steve Bannon is now calling on “4,000 shock troops” to “deconstruct” the federal government “brick by brick.”

He wants to see people “stepping forward, say[ing], ’Hey, I want to be one of those 4,000 shock troops,” Bannon said on his “War Room” podcast Monday. “This is taking on and defeating and deconstructing the administrative state,” he added.

“Shock troops” are assault forces that lead an attack.

“Suck on it,” said Bannon. “We’re destroying this illegitimate regime.”

i read this earlier today and i'm curious what this forum thinks about it:

Scott Concedes that Republican Senate Candidates Have Money Problems

Sen. Rick Scott (R-FL) is chair of the National Republican Senatorial Committee this cycle. That means he's in charge of raising and spending money to try to win back the Senate for his party. And in the past week, he was all over the place talking about that problem. For example, in a speech at the America First Policy Institute summit, he decreed: "Look, we have great candidates, we have every reason to believe we can win. The issue we've got is we've got to raise money."

Scott's intent is not to wave the white flag, of course, it's to motivate Republican voters to get out their checkbooks and pony up. His problem is the first five words of that quote, which are a blatant falsehood. If the Republicans actually had great candidates, they would probably be keeping up with the Democrats, and they certainly wouldn't have to sweat, not in a year that looks to be so favorable to the GOP.

The fact is that, in nearly all of the races that matter, the Republicans have lousy candidates. This is not a judgment based on policy positions, it's one based on their propensity to shoot themselves in the foot/feet with stupid, unforced errors. The most recent to make lots of the wrong kind of headlines is J.D. Vance in Ohio. While Democrat Tim Ryan is putting in the work in Ohio, and running a strong campaign, Vance spent last weekend in... Israel. And speaking to a bunch of Israelis about their stellar birth rates doesn't exactly help Ohio voters understand what Vance might try to do about gas prices. "Tim Ryan is talking about kitchen-table issues, and J.D. Vance is out there going to fu**ing CPAC in Israel," observed one GOP operative.

If that is not enough, someone dug up a video this week from an interview Vance conducted last September:

It's only 40 seconds, so you should consider watching it for yourself. In it, Vance laments that the sexual revolution made getting a divorce as easy as "changing underwear," and says that women in violent marriages should stay married for the benefit of their children. Undoubtedly, those all-important suburban housewives are going to just love that opinion.

The assessment of many Republican pros in Ohio is that Vance is running the worst campaign possible. From where we sit, it's hard to disagree. Meanwhile, Herschel Walker is a walking gaffe machine in Georgia, Mehmet Oz is doing everything he possibly can to affirm his image as an out-of-touch carpetbagger in Pennsylvania, the yet-to-be-held GOP primary in Arizona has turned into a bloody slugfest, Sen. Ron Johnson (R-WI) is no great shakes in Wisconsin, and in Missouri the party could get stuck with Eric Greitens, who has a history of assaulting and blackmailing his lovers and calling for his opponents to be shot. Let's also not forget that Scott himself, though not actually up this cycle, has hardly had a great year. His "Contract with America" ripoff not only pissed off Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY), it also handed the Democrats ammunition in the form of "Hey! The Republicans want to end Social Security!" We remain astounded that a politician from Florida of all places—a.k.a .The Land of the Old—would issue forth with something so foolish.

There are only three competitive seats, meanwhile, where the Republicans don't have to grit their teeth right now and hope nothing else goes wrong: New Hampshire, Florida, and Nevada. And of those, only Sen. Marco Rubio in Florida can be considered the favorite to win. The bottom line is that if the Republicans fail to hold the Senate, or if they actually lose seats, money is not the problem, it's merely a symptom.

Electoral-vote.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom