US Politics XXXV: My Insurrection Lasted More Than 4 Hours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i read this earlier today and i'm curious what this forum thinks about it:

https://www.electoral-vote.com/evp2022/Senate/Maps/Jul26.html#item-4

there's been a lot of pushback on trumpism and the alt right over the past couple of months that is only now beginning to get media attention.

• republicans are bleeding money
  • OAN has been reduced to less than a million viewers after losing Verizon and DirectTV
  • Newsmax could be sued into oblivion by Dominian
  • The Jan 6 committee has actually moved people away from Trump
  • Both the Wall Street Journal and the Murdouch's NY Post came out with editorials recently bashing Trump and putting blame on Jan 6 on him and his acolytes

There seems to be some recognition on the side of SOME republicans that they've gone too far and that this shit needs to get reeled back in before 2024. cocaine mitch is very worried about losing even more ground in the senate - which is unheard of when Biden has such low approvals - but seems more likely today than it did even a few months ago. the democrats only need a couple of seats to be able to overturn the filibuster - and they very well could get what they need this November (while possibly losing the House).

Not an unprecedented strategy. Is is smart?

What Will Democrats Say If Their MAGA Candidates Win?
https://www.thedailybeast.com/what-will-democrats-say-if-their-maga-candidates-win

America is a tinderbox, Donald Trump and his allied political arsonists are on a rampage. And yet, it’s Democrats who keep pouring gasoline on the flames.

That’s my conclusion after watching the spate of election-denying MAGA candidates win Republican primaries, with more than a little help from their frenemies. Indeed, Democrats are spending millions to boost far-right candidates.

....According to The New York Times, Democrats “spent more than $1.16 million on TV ads trying to help Dan Cox in the Republican primary for Maryland governor,” while Cox “spent just $21,000 [of his own money] on TV and radio advertising.”

Nor was this just a one-time occurrence. In multiple states, Democrats have meddled in Republican primary races, always on the side of the far-right fringe-y candidate. Their cynical assumption being that the MAGA candidate will be easier to defeat in a general election.

....In Arizona, Democrats are helping Trump-backed candidate Kari Lake, by thanking her more mainstream primary opponent for past donations to Democrats.

In Illinois, Gov. J.B. Pritzker and the DGA spent $35 million on ads to help “a far-right state senator” win Illinois’ Republican gubernatorial primary.

And in Pennsylvania, Josh Shapiro, the Democratic gubernatorial candidate, spent $840,000 to boost the Trump-endorsed election-denying state Sen. Doug Mastriano. According to Open Secrets, this was “more than double what Mastriano spent on his own ad buys.”

The problem? Mastriano is just 3 points down, according to a recent poll. There’s also the problem that, according to Politico, he has “a real shot at winning.” Still another problem? As The Washington Post notes, “Pennsylvania governors appoint their own secretaries of state, who supervise elections.” What this means is that Democrats have helped make it more likely that a Gov. Mastriano could assist Trump in swinging the Pennsylvania election results.

....This tactic was used in 2012 by former Missouri Sen. Claire McCaskill, a Democrat who bragged about her strategy to pick her own opponent. It worked for her, but has the potential to backfire. Bigly. Hillary Clinton’s team famously wanted to run against Trump, believing he would be the easiest to beat.

Not an unprecedented strategy. Is is smart?

What Will Democrats Say If Their MAGA Candidates Win?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/what-will-democrats-say-if-their-maga-candidates-win

America is a tinderbox, Donald Trump and his allied political arsonists are on a rampage. And yet, it’s Democrats who keep pouring gasoline on the flames.

That’s my conclusion after watching the spate of election-denying MAGA candidates win Republican primaries, with more than a little help from their frenemies. Indeed, Democrats are spending millions to boost far-right candidates.

....According to The New York Times, Democrats “spent more than $1.16 million on TV ads trying to help Dan Cox in the Republican primary for Maryland governor,” while Cox “spent just $21,000 [of his own money] on TV and radio advertising.”

Nor was this just a one-time occurrence. In multiple states, Democrats have meddled in Republican primary races, always on the side of the far-right fringe-y candidate. Their cynical assumption being that the MAGA candidate will be easier to defeat in a general election.

....In Arizona, Democrats are helping Trump-backed candidate Kari Lake, by thanking her more mainstream primary opponent for past donations to Democrats.

In Illinois, Gov. J.B. Pritzker and the DGA spent $35 million on ads to help “a far-right state senator” win Illinois’ Republican gubernatorial primary.

And in Pennsylvania, Josh Shapiro, the Democratic gubernatorial candidate, spent $840,000 to boost the Trump-endorsed election-denying state Sen. Doug Mastriano. According to Open Secrets, this was “more than double what Mastriano spent on his own ad buys.”

The problem? Mastriano is just 3 points down, according to a recent poll. There’s also the problem that, according to Politico, he has “a real shot at winning.” Still another problem? As The Washington Post notes, “Pennsylvania governors appoint their own secretaries of state, who supervise elections.” What this means is that Democrats have helped make it more likely that a Gov. Mastriano could assist Trump in swinging the Pennsylvania election results.

....This tactic was used in 2012 by former Missouri Sen. Claire McCaskill, a Democrat who bragged about her strategy to pick her own opponent. It worked for her, but has the potential to backfire. Bigly. Hillary Clinton’s team famously wanted to run against Trump, believing he would be the easiest to beat.

Both sides now.

Haha, she really put that weasel in his place. I believe she has now raised almost $300,000 thanks to him.

https://www.chron.com/politics/article/Matt-Gaetz-abortion-law-Houston-teen-TPUSA-17327397.php

Also this

Among those who came to Julianna's defense was Fred Guttenberg, whose teen daughter was killed in the Parkland school shooting. Guttenberg tweeted: "@mattgaetz, you are a low life prick. Attacking women only shows what a weak pathetic man you are whose insecurities with his manhood are obvious. Stay away from the young girls and grow up jerk. You are the worst of America. Voters will remember this in November."

Senate passes bipartisan bill investing $52 billion in US semiconductor production
https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/27/poli...s-bill-semiconductor-manufacturing/index.html

It passed with broad bipartisan support, 64 to 33.

...."It's a major step for our economic security, our national security, our supply chains and for America's future," Schumer said of the legislation in remarks on the Senate floor this week.

In a major boost to Democrats, Manchin and Schumer announce deal for energy and health care bill
https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/27/politics/schumer-manchin-deal-build-back-better/index.html

To raise revenue, the bill would impose a 15% minimum tax on corporations, which would raise $313 billion over a decade.

....The package also calls for providing more funding to the IRS for tax enforcement, which would raise $124 billion.

...."Rather than risking more inflation with trillions in new spending, this bill will cut the inflation taxes Americans are paying, lower the cost of health insurance and prescription drugs, and ensure our country invests in the energy security and climate change solutions we need to remain a global superpower through innovation rather than elimination," Manchin said in his own statement Wednesday afternoon.

Glad to see valuable functional decisions. Wonder why anybody would vote no.

Which brings up a thought in my mind. Would be nice to see formally recorded votes with variants of yes and no. Yes with reservation, no with reservation.

Nice to see you here again

It's good to be back! It's funny my wife and I will sometimes ask each other, what did we DO with all the time we had before we had kids? On further reflection, I realize that I spent a of that time here!

I think this is a mistake. Many thought Trump couldn't win in 2016.

It would be a disaster if these nutcases win elections, thanks in part to the Democratic party that misread the situation.
This times a thousand.

It's not just the balance of Congress at risk here. This is a dumb, dangerous game they're playing.

Jon Stewart's entire speech is well worth watching, clearly he cares so much about these veterans. And he speaks the truth.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/comedian-jon-stewart-erupts-after-republicans-vote-against-military-burn-pits-2022-07-28/

"Republicans "haven't met a war they won't sign up for and they haven't met a veteran they won't screw over," Stewart said."

iu

Jon Stewart's entire speech is well worth watching, clearly he cares so much about these veterans. And he speaks the truth.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/co...s-vote-against-military-burn-pits-2022-07-28/

"Republicans "haven't met a war they won't sign up for and they haven't met a veteran they won't screw over," Stewart said."

The Senate Majority Leader could've allowed a vote on Toomey's amendment. He chose not to.

This is how the sausage is made in D.C. The burn pit legislation will pass.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/07/28/...n-pits-vote-republican-frustration/index.html

Any thoughts on Senator Manchin's role in the ‘Inflation Reduction Act’ ?

Manchin has almost always been on the receiving end of hate and (ahem) vitriol here in Free Your Mind.

Well of course he would say that, it's always whatever fits his narcissistic purpose at any given moment rather than anything resembling truth or facts. In 2016 he said it was Saudi Arabia, right?

I would love to see the documents proving that this golf tournament at his golf course is giving money to charity. I saw on CBS News tonight that Dustin Johnson might be making up to 100 million for playing on that tour. All about the Benjamins.

And yes Biden fist bumping in Saudi Arabia is terrible too.

Susan Collins isn’t sure she can support marriage equality now that the democrats played politics with reconciliation…

How does Maine keep electing her ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom