US Politics XXXIV: Biden Against the Manchine (Live at the Sinema)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Brooklyn subway attack also worth a mention, no doubt.

Adding to a sad trend of increased violence in too many cities.

While crime rates remain so much lower than in the 1990s, likely thanks largely to safe and legal abortion, it’s good that we can agree ther the guns bought over the pandemic are doing what guns always do: make us less safe.

I’m well aware they are coming for us.

What Trumpism promises is not policy or results, but revenge. And it doesn’t matter that there are more Democrats than Republicans, or that the GOP will never win a popular vote again (watch Biden get 51-2% of the vote in 2024 but lose the electoral college), and there will always be more votes behind D members of congress than R.

If you care about democracy, there is only one option in November. I don’t care about how their professorial meins make you feel talked down to; I don’t care that you aren’t getting the pony you want; I don’t care that they are spineless and consistently disappointing. There simply isn’t another option.

Today the RNC announced they will be withdrawing from the Presidential debates.

They have no platform. No ideas. Only hate. As you said, only revenge.

Revenge on those they believe to have changed and ruined the American way of life.

Trump gave them a mask, a rallying cry. And now every single election is between life or death for a large portion of people.

Healthcare
Marriage
Adoption and childcare
Competency of government services

And let’s not keep it to our borders. If Trumpism wins in 2024, Europe has the potential to fail too.

Zelensky would most likely be in exile or dead if Trump had won in 2020

As of earlier yesterday Kentucky outlawed abortion completey. :crack: :scream:

Under the new law because of the 15 week limit the
last two abortion clinics could no longer provide theservice.

Tomorrow (today) morning there will be motions broughtto stay this (so far) most drastic of assaults on women's freedom.

I’m well aware they are coming for us.

What Trumpism promises is not policy or results, but revenge. And it doesn’t matter that there are more Democrats than Republicans, or that the GOP will never win a popular vote again (watch Biden get 51-2% of the vote in 2024 but lose the electoral college), and there will always be more votes behind D members of congress than R.

If you care about democracy, there is only one option in November. I don’t care about how their professorial meins make you feel talked down to; I don’t care that you aren’t getting the pony you want; I don’t care that they are spineless and consistently disappointing. There simply isn’t another option.
"Just" being a smart older liberal progressive white cis on tbe poorer side woman is scary enough.
Then change my color, and/or sexual orientation and I've doubled, or tripled my chances of danger.
(obviously gay men, too)

I've done various GOTV within the Democratic party, and on my own '68, '72, then '90s, early 2000's onward.

I'll do both as I can this year and '24!

struggles with crime and homelessness persist despite revitalization efforts

Using a different preposition would allow to open the conversation towards why many of these "revitalization efforts" seem to come at a price for so many cities, when it's often just a euphemism for gentrification.

^ tiny clarification, the quote above was from the Sacramento ABC story, not my own.

'Developed' countries have been graying for a long time, VV. No doubt.
Now get off my lawn :lol:

I realized that. It was appeared to me to be a key aspect in the whole article that helps explain some of the processes going on that exacerbate the problem of violence in many urban areas.

Gentrification has nothing to do with the ageing of society, but describes processes of changes within urban areas where certain strata of a population are being replaced by others, i.e. more affluent people moving into specific neighbourhoods of a city where the resident population finds it no longer affordable to remain in those areas. Or in other words, they have to get off their lawns (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentrification).

I realized that. It was appeared to me to be a key aspect in the whole article that helps explain some of the processes going on that exacerbate the problem of violence in many urban areas.

Gentrification has nothing to do with the ageing of society, but describes processes of changes within urban areas where certain strata of a population are being replaced by others, i.e. more affluent people moving into specific neighbourhoods of a city where the resident population finds it no longer affordable to remain in those areas. Or in other words, they have to get off their lawns (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentrification).

Good one :wink:

Thanks for correcting me, I was thinking 'geriatric'

Using a different preposition would allow to open the conversation towards why many of these "revitalization efforts" seem to come at a price for so many cities, when it's often just a euphemism for gentrification.

As someone who lives on the edge of a gentrified area… well, actually, in a non-gentrified area that has a university high street going through it, said “revitalization efforts” cannot just so blankety be assumed to be gentrification. In my opinion, gentrification requires a wage of war over not just wealth, but land ownership.

Historic & non-transitory inflation is a big challenge too. Urban, rural, and everywhere in between.

The folks at the top of the totem pole can shake it off without much of a thought. For everyone else, it's a long haul.

He's not a good politician. He's a masterful politician.

End of the day the result is all that matters to him. He doesn't let little things like ideology and principle get in the way of victory.

It would be great if politicians like this didn't exist. But because they do, and because our system favors them? It would be great if the Democrats had a few, before it's too late.

Agree with you man!
I think it's great that Biden is running for office! He seems like a really down to earth guy and I think he would make a great president.

The judicial system is literally the dumbest aspect of our government. Your elected government doesn’t agree with you so find someone who wasn’t elected who does. Checks and balances!!!

This goes both ways, but fundamentally it is dumb. Especially now that the sanctity of anything is dead.

Read the mandate ends in two weeks, so seems this was more about baiting Biden admin into a mask/culture war

Probably not worth the politics.

But yes it shows another way our system is broken with these lifetime appointments by a executive who is only limited to max eight years (and a couple of POTUS who didn’t even win popular vote)

Where is this stalemate headed?

Ukraine says seven people killed in "powerful" Russian missile attack on western city of Lviv
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/lviv-ukraine-russia-war-six-missile-attack/

At least seven people were killed in Russian airstrikes on the western Ukrainian city of Lviv on Monday, according to the regional governor. Maksym Kozytsky said four Russian strikes had targeted military infrastructure but that a car tire factory had also been hit. Lviv, which is near Ukraine's border with Poland, has been considered a place of relative safety for those fleeing fierce fighting in other parts of the country.

....Russian state media claimed Russia had struck 315 targets in Ukraine overnight. Ukrainian officials in the southern region of Dnipropetrovsk also reported multiple missile attacks on Monday, saying some projectiles hit areas close to a railway station. Strikes intensified near the capital city of Kyiv as well.

Senator Chris Coons Suggests U.S. Troops May Be Needed At Some Point In Ukraine
https://news.yahoo.com/senator-chris-coons-suggests-u-184254761.html

“We are in a very dangerous moment where it is important that, in a bipartisan and measured way, we in Congress and the administration come to a common position about when we are willing to go the next step and to send not just arms but troops to the aid in defense of Ukraine,” the senator, who sits on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said during a discussion hosted by the University of Michigan.

He added: “If the answer is never then we are inviting another level of escalation in brutality by Putin.”

President Joe Biden has repeatedly ruled out sending U.S. troops to Ukraine, a move that could risk opening a wider war between two nuclear powers: the U.S. and Russia. The idea of sending troops to directly aid Ukraine is also broadly unpopular on Capitol Hill; even some of the staunchest war hawks on the Republican side of the aisle are opposed to it.

Coons sought to clarify his remarks on Monday, tweeting that he was “not calling for U.S. troops to go into the war in Ukraine.”

Read the mandate ends in two weeks, so seems this was more about baiting Biden admin into a mask/culture war

But yes it shows another way our system is broken with these lifetime appointments by a executive who is only limited to max eight years (and a couple of POTUS who didn’t even win popular vote)

After we 'fix' the Senate by tacking on a few new 'states'
expand the Supreme Court (only under the correct president and Senate, obviously)
and get rid of the Electoral College once and for all....

then we can tackle those pesky presidential term limits. No biggie! :)

After we 'fix' the Senate by tacking on a few new 'states'

expand the Supreme Court (only under the correct president and Senate, obviously)

and get rid of the Electoral College once and for all....

then we can tackle those pesky presidential term limits. No biggie! :)

Which ‘states’ might you be referring to, and what is your logic behind why you do not believe in statehood or something parallel to that for, let’s say, DC?

I’ll make you a proposition. DC gets Arlington back, becomes more populous than 9 or 10 other states, and VA gets to free itself of its liberal chunk of land it stole all those years ago. Then you won’t have to view it as you are with “stacking the courts.”

Which ‘states’ might you be referring to, and what is your logic behind why you do not believe in statehood or something parallel to that for, let’s say, DC?

I’ll make you a proposition. DC gets Arlington back, becomes more populous than 9 or 10 other states, and VA gets to free itself of its liberal chunk of land it stole all those years ago. Then you won’t have to view it as you are with “stacking the courts.”

lame. equal representation is totally passé.

Last edited:

It's not worth the politics because the science is telling us otherwise. If we are to preach "trust the science" when Mango Mussoliniis in office, then we also need to trust the science when he is not - otherwise it wasn't really about the science, was it?

COVID has changed. This isn't March 2020 anymore. This is actually closer to an Ordinary Spring [emoji769] .

Yes, BA.2 is our there, and yes cases have risen. But they haven't skyrocketed like they did with the first COVID variant, and hospitalizations, while yes, they have risen, haven't risen at an alarming rate. Deaths have remained flat - even in the places where this next mutation has been with us for well over a month like DC and NY.

If you look at NY...

Screenshot_20220419-061457.jpg

The hot spots are centered not around densely populated New York City, rather in two college towns upstate, and a few rural counties way way up state.

In other words - areas unlikely to be vaccinated.

Screenshot_20220419-061522.jpg

Hospitalizations now take away those college towns - because whole young and healthy college kids spread this thing like candy, they don't get severe illness - keep those same rural areas (red counties where those at risk likely haven't gotten any shots because of politics), and a few parts of Long Island - at least one of which is very much a Red part of the state.

If you want to keep wearing your K95 on the plane, train or subway? Go ahead! They work! And unlike during the last administration, we actually have a shit ton of them!

If you're vaccinated you have very little to worry about here.

If you're young you have very little to worry about.

Children have very little to worry about.

We are at the point where we can allow people to make personal decisions on what is best for them and their families. We know enough now, and the virus has changed enough, to start to move forward.

Democrats should accept this not because it's politically viable (it is, by the way), but because it's just what they should be doing.

I know it's difficult to move on from this thing after the last few years - but we all know that this is eventually going to become endemic (it already is) and we also know what we as individuals can do to keep us safer.

So let's do that.

If another mutation comes around that is worse? Hey, we can always go back. We'll be better prepared to do so.

Sigh.

Border Patrol Agents Accused Of "Whipping" Migrants, Of Course, Have Been Cleared Of All Wrongdoing
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/v...urse_have_been_cleared_of_any_wrongdoing.html

"The guys are not being punished," reported Bret Baier. "Remember how much coverage was given to that moment and those allegations?"

"It looked bad and then the explanation was available in a matter of hours," Brit Hume said. "That didn't stop President Biden from coming out and saying those border agents are going to pay."

"He's been notably silent, and now we know, as was probably inevitable, they've been cleared of any wrongdoing."

Bdubs, I do want your input on statehood (or something similar) for over a million Americans who currently do not have access to meaningful representation in the government that hands down law to them.

We've kicked ideas around, it's in the recent archives.

US Politics XXV: At Least We're Not Australia....page 47.

You took the time to find that but not the time to like just write your thoughts and I do not know why… this just makes it harder on me and less conversational

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom