Update from U2.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: Re: Update from U2.com

Axver said:

It just confirms everything I've been saying about Larry, really. I'd dearly love to see him try to pull off something like 15/8. Might make his head explode though.

too often rock in this vein amounts to little more than self-indulgent shit. only Rush can get away with it. I really hope U2 don't venture down this path..

Let the Rush bashing begin. Its hard being a Rush fan :sad: :wink:

anyway, this sounds alot better than the Bee Gees + Eagles idea they mentioned earlier. Sounds promissing!!

rushu2 said:
Let the Rush bashing begin. Its hard being a Rush fan :sad: :wink:

anyway, this sounds alot better than the Bee Gees + Eagles idea they mentioned earlier. Sounds promissing!!

Amen!! I'm not exactly a Rush fan, although I'm not a Rush hater either. They're good and make good music, just never really appealed to me. That being said, Rush >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> BeeGees & The Eagles.

I wonder what happened that made them want to get away from their BeeGees/Window in the Skies sound and try something new? Whatever the cause was, I'm glad something happened that made them want to try something different.

This will all make sense once the album comes out (I'm still saying Fall 2008), when they are talking about the making of the album. All of the questions we have now will be answered at that time.

Don't I recall an interview Bono did two summers ago where he said Edge would go back to his hotel room every night after gigs and lay down tracks on Garage Band? And hasn't Edge said he has something like 1,000 riffs stored up?

And now we have the marvelous addition of Danny and Brian to the four members of U2 who show signs of not only being lost in the music, but not being able to find their way out.

This is beginning to remind me of term papers where we did too much research and didn't know where to start.

this sounds interesting :)

That's all i have to say really. I mean, this all sounds great, but it's hard to judge a song by a description, and who knows what kind of stuff will end up on the final album. Nice to read an actual description of recording though.

you know what U2.com should do? post clips. post short clips of recording sessions. why not? it'd be baller. people go nuts for shitty quality beach clips; just imagine what people would do hearing a 15 second good quality teaser! it'd be a good way to keep the fanbase interested and hype.

Look at the Radiohead thread, now that's a band who knows how to get people excited for the next album.

Peterrrrr said:

Translation? :(

Exclusive.

The pélerinage of Bono Bono Vox, in front of the doors of Riad Yacout, in Fès. (JEAN BERRY) Surrounded of the producers Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno, the U2 group recorded during two weeks in a riad of Fès the outlines of its next album, announced for 2008... TelQuel met Bono for an exclusive interview. U2 with Fès, one did not really want to believe in it in the beginning, but it was indeed true. If information were published by several Internet sites, whereas the group was on the point of leaving, Sunday June 3, the secrecy had been well kept. And while the preparations of the Festival of the sacred musics beat their full with two steps from there, in the buildings of the Foundation Spirit of Fès, some passers by only were astonished by the guitars resonant in front of the entry by Riad Yacout, and the presence of the one of the greatest groups of rock'n'roll in the world passed almost unperceived. A little further on the place, the old women papotaient and the children played under the sun of this beginning of summer, as if nothing were not. They did not suspect either that Bernadette and Jacques Chirac placed with a few meters from there. It is thus in a riad Batha district of the spiritual capital of the kingdom that the Irish quartet came ressourcer two weeks during. Time to put out of box the first outlines of a twelfth opus, whose exit is announced for the next year. Around them, the historical producers Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno. First worked on several albums of Bob Dylan, the second was the assistant of David Bowie at the end of the Seventies, before becoming the guru of the experimental music. Very beautiful world. U2 and Fès, a history of U2 love and Fès, it is a history which goes up at the beginning of the Nineties. There the group, then to the apogee of its career, after The Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum, came to turn the surrealist and psychedelic clip of Mysterious Ways, one of individual of Achtung baby, under the direction of the realizer Stephan Sednaoui. About fifteen years later, arrived out of jet private and preceded by two semitrailers material studio, the Irish formation returned to pose its amplifiers in the médina of Fès, between a concert on the steps of the Palate of the Festivals in Cannes and a turning of the Bono singer by the top of G8. Invited editor of the last number of Vanity Fair, devoted to Africa and published with a score of different covers, of Oprah Winfrey in Mohamed Ali, the singer, known for his standpoint in favour of Africa and nominated twice for the Nobel Prize of Peace, met Wednesday last Nicolas Sarkozy there, in company of Bob Geldof and Youssou Dour, about poverty in Africa. A new meeting with the new French president, and another with George W Bush, were announced for the following days. "I have the impression that that never has étéaussi easy to compose", testified Bono, a little before the departure of the group of the capital mérinide. "Fès is a place crowned for the musicians. We come here to pay homage to this city, and especially to learn ", continued the singer, on a mystical tonality: "We are in pilgrimage". Ten pieces on the whole were born at this session, which recorded (a first) the participation of local musicians. A player of oud in particular and percussionnists, resulting brotherhoods gnawi and soufie. On the table, between the grids of agreements, one could read For Your Love or One Bird, titles undoubtedly provisional of two their new pieces. A discrete stay, but not completely: placed to the Jamaï Palate, the group went to foot to the concert of the Iranian singer Parissa and the whole of Dastan, on poems of Jalal-eddine Roumi, causing the curiosity of some spectators, passers by and tourists. Close to the musicians, one saw the Rania queen of Jordan, with which Bono had given a few days earlier Frontline Award for Human Rights, in Dublin. The small history even says that it passed one evening and shared a dinner with the group, and than Bono sang for it. Happy queen...

Exclusive interview.

You already turned a clip in Fès. Does this city inspire to you? The thing which always strikes me in Morocco, they are certain similarities with the Irish music and the culture. The singers from here have a great talent, I can learn from them, and they point out certain traditions from on our premises to me, like that of Seanos (traditional dance accompanied by songs has capella and of percussions, note). There are many of other similarities, like the pentatonic ranges. We smell ourselves very well with this music and these people. And then Fès is like a place crowned for the music and the musicians, therefore we come to also to pay homage him, to inspire to us, learn from the rates/rhythms. We are really happy here to be. It appears that you recorded with Moroccan artists. It is a first with Arab or North-African musicians? Indeed. We received a player of oud and musicians gnawa and soufis. They were large Masters, it was a very special environment. Now, we do not know really what all that will become. We wrote ten songs here, in two weeks. They are not completely finished, but I have the impression that that never has was also easy to compose, so much the things ran themselves. We record in the court of a riad, under a square of blue sky... Did you attend the Festival of the sacred musics? I saw this evening this fantastic Iranian singer, Parissa, it was really something. But we did not almost see anything of the Festival. We came for that also, but finally, we a little let ourselves go in our own music. Do you have an idea of the topics which you will approach on this disc? What I do, it is that I wait until the music says to me what I will sing. I improvise much, and I really do not know where we go... It is only then that I put myself at the writing. We are a little as in pilgrimage, feet naked, and we really do not know where the music will take us along. You listen to mystical and spiritual musics? I said it, the sounds from here us are rather familiar. And then our music was always rather extatic, in a certain direction. We listen, we learn... In the position where we are, people see us more like professors than like students. But it is not as that which we see ourselves and which we see the things. We will see what it will leave there, but I am rather excited. It appears that Tinariwen will open for you in Dublin. You are interested in the Tuareg rock'n'roll? I really appreciated them. They come from a very difficult situation. There is a great difference when people sing for their life, rather than to eat. Really, they sing and play for their life, and it is something which one can feel in their music. It is particularly The Edge which made me discover this music. It is true that this kind of music represents a breath, that I can feel, who can make evolve/move my way of singing. It is the discovery new tone, new harmonies. We try to inspire to us, but just a little bit. We do not want to finish like tourists. A word on the situation in Ireland. Does that seem to better go since Bloody Sunday? The situation in Ireland testifies to what the people prepared with the compromise can carry out. The compromise is a word that people often neglect, that they do not want to really look at opposite. They would not have. It is perhaps one of the most interesting words, in all the languages besides. It shows how each one can leave the place with the other, the capacity of the human beings to evolve/move the ones around the others. Thirty years ago very difficult, but during this last decade, much of compromise made it possible to bring to peace to Ireland. It is fantastic. You go to G8... Which are you your motivations, which messages wish to make pass? I will be there to point out the promises to them that they made us, two years ago. I want that they know that the world looks at them. There is to make much, and it is my job. I am a little like a foghorn... And like a bulldog too.

Thanks for the translation!

Gotta love random translations:

roy said:

We smell ourselves very well with this music and these people.

:lol:

Besides the bit about 10 songs, this was my favorite part:

It is true that this kind of music represents a breath, that I can feel, who can make evolve/move my way of singing. It is the discovery new tone, new harmonies.

:drool: :combust: :drool: :drool:

And 2 new song titles:
For Your Love
One Bird

With all the discussion of birds in the u2.com articles, I had a feeling they'd make it into the songs somehow. I think it'd be cool if they actually had recorded birds and snuck them into a song, kind of like "Because" on the Cirque du Soleil Beatles album. :drool:

roy said:

Exclusive.

The pélerinage of Bono Bono Vox, in front of the doors of Riad Yacout, in Fès. (JEAN BERRY) Surrounded of the producers Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno, the U2 group recorded during two weeks in a riad of Fès the outlines of its next album, announced for 2008... TelQuel met Bono for an exclusive interview. U2 with Fès, one did not really want to believe in it in the beginning, but it was indeed true. If information were published by several Internet sites, whereas the group was on the point of leaving, Sunday June 3, the secrecy had been well kept. And while the preparations of the Festival of the sacred musics beat their full with two steps from there, in the buildings of the Foundation Spirit of Fès, some passers by only were astonished by the guitars resonant in front of the entry by Riad Yacout, and the presence of the one of the greatest groups of rock'n'roll in the world passed almost unperceived. A little further on the place, the old women papotaient and the children played under the sun of this beginning of summer, as if nothing were not. They did not suspect either that Bernadette and Jacques Chirac placed with a few meters from there. It is thus in a riad Batha district of the spiritual capital of the kingdom that the Irish quartet came ressourcer two weeks during. Time to put out of box the first outlines of a twelfth opus, whose exit is announced for the next year. Around them, the historical producers Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno. First worked on several albums of Bob Dylan, the second was the assistant of David Bowie at the end of the Seventies, before becoming the guru of the experimental music. Very beautiful world. U2 and Fès, a history of U2 love and Fès, it is a history which goes up at the beginning of the Nineties. There the group, then to the apogee of its career, after The Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum, came to turn the surrealist and psychedelic clip of Mysterious Ways, one of individual of Achtung baby, under the direction of the realizer Stephan Sednaoui. About fifteen years later, arrived out of jet private and preceded by two semitrailers material studio, the Irish formation returned to pose its amplifiers in the médina of Fès, between a concert on the steps of the Palate of the Festivals in Cannes and a turning of the Bono singer by the top of G8. Invited editor of the last number of Vanity Fair, devoted to Africa and published with a score of different covers, of Oprah Winfrey in Mohamed Ali, the singer, known for his standpoint in favour of Africa and nominated twice for the Nobel Prize of Peace, met Wednesday last Nicolas Sarkozy there, in company of Bob Geldof and Youssou Dour, about poverty in Africa. A new meeting with the new French president, and another with George W Bush, were announced for the following days. "I have the impression that that never has étéaussi easy to compose", testified Bono, a little before the departure of the group of the capital mérinide. "Fès is a place crowned for the musicians. We come here to pay homage to this city, and especially to learn ", continued the singer, on a mystical tonality: "We are in pilgrimage". Ten pieces on the whole were born at this session, which recorded (a first) the participation of local musicians. A player of oud in particular and percussionnists, resulting brotherhoods gnawi and soufie. On the table, between the grids of agreements, one could read For Your Love or One Bird, titles undoubtedly provisional of two their new pieces. A discrete stay, but not completely: placed to the Jamaï Palate, the group went to foot to the concert of the Iranian singer Parissa and the whole of Dastan, on poems of Jalal-eddine Roumi, causing the curiosity of some spectators, passers by and tourists. Close to the musicians, one saw the Rania queen of Jordan, with which Bono had given a few days earlier Frontline Award for Human Rights, in Dublin. The small history even says that it passed one evening and shared a dinner with the group, and than Bono sang for it. Happy queen...

Exclusive interview.

You already turned a clip in Fès. Does this city inspire to you? The thing which always strikes me in Morocco, they are certain similarities with the Irish music and the culture. The singers from here have a great talent, I can learn from them, and they point out certain traditions from on our premises to me, like that of Seanos (traditional dance accompanied by songs has capella and of percussions, note). There are many of other similarities, like the pentatonic ranges. We smell ourselves very well with this music and these people. And then Fès is like a place crowned for the music and the musicians, therefore we come to also to pay homage him, to inspire to us, learn from the rates/rhythms. We are really happy here to be. It appears that you recorded with Moroccan artists. It is a first with Arab or North-African musicians? Indeed. We received a player of oud and musicians gnawa and soufis. They were large Masters, it was a very special environment. Now, we do not know really what all that will become. We wrote ten songs here, in two weeks. They are not completely finished, but I have the impression that that never has was also easy to compose, so much the things ran themselves. We record in the court of a riad, under a square of blue sky... Did you attend the Festival of the sacred musics? I saw this evening this fantastic Iranian singer, Parissa, it was really something. But we did not almost see anything of the Festival. We came for that also, but finally, we a little let ourselves go in our own music. Do you have an idea of the topics which you will approach on this disc? What I do, it is that I wait until the music says to me what I will sing. I improvise much, and I really do not know where we go... It is only then that I put myself at the writing. We are a little as in pilgrimage, feet naked, and we really do not know where the music will take us along. You listen to mystical and spiritual musics? I said it, the sounds from here us are rather familiar. And then our music was always rather extatic, in a certain direction. We listen, we learn... In the position where we are, people see us more like professors than like students. But it is not as that which we see ourselves and which we see the things. We will see what it will leave there, but I am rather excited. It appears that Tinariwen will open for you in Dublin. You are interested in the Tuareg rock'n'roll? I really appreciated them. They come from a very difficult situation. There is a great difference when people sing for their life, rather than to eat. Really, they sing and play for their life, and it is something which one can feel in their music. It is particularly The Edge which made me discover this music. It is true that this kind of music represents a breath, that I can feel, who can make evolve/move my way of singing. It is the discovery new tone, new harmonies. We try to inspire to us, but just a little bit. We do not want to finish like tourists. A word on the situation in Ireland. Does that seem to better go since Bloody Sunday? The situation in Ireland testifies to what the people prepared with the compromise can carry out. The compromise is a word that people often neglect, that they do not want to really look at opposite. They would not have. It is perhaps one of the most interesting words, in all the languages besides. It shows how each one can leave the place with the other, the capacity of the human beings to evolve/move the ones around the others. Thirty years ago very difficult, but during this last decade, much of compromise made it possible to bring to peace to Ireland. It is fantastic. You go to G8... Which are you your motivations, which messages wish to make pass? I will be there to point out the promises to them that they made us, two years ago. I want that they know that the world looks at them. There is to make much, and it is my job. I am a little like a foghorn... And like a bulldog too.

Thanks for the translation! :)

Question: Apparently you've recorded with Moroccan musicians. Is this the first time with Arab or North African musicians?

Bono: Effectively. We had an oud player and gnawa and soufis musicians They were grand masters which made for a very special atmosphere . Now, we don't really know what all this will become. In two weeks we've written ten songs here. They are not completely finished, but I had the impression that compoisng was never this easy, so much that things were just flowing by themselves. We would record in the court of a riad, under a bright blue sky...

Question: Do you have any idea what type of themes will show up on this record?

Bono: What I'm doing right now is waiting for the music to tell me what I'm going to sing. I'm improvising alot and we don't really know where we're going....It's only later on that I'll begin writing.

It's like we're on some pilgrimage and we don't really know where the music will take us.

Not quite finished...meaning someone like Rubin could get their grubby hands on them :no: , come on, be bold and release them in 2007 along with some great leftovers. Oh well, still stuff to be excited about.

powerhour24 said:
Not quite finished...meaning someone like Rubin could get their grubby hands on them :no: , come on, be bold and release them in 2007 along with some great leftovers. Oh well, still stuff to be excited about.

Given that Larry is quoted as saying that they're getting together later this year to continue song writing; there is zero chance of it being released this year.

powerhour24 said:

I don't want Rubin too to put his hands on the songs that are being described on the lasts posts...

Rubin's grubby hands are exactly what U2 needs at this point.

And don't use WITS or Saints as examples. Bono said those were the end of the current sound. And look at what Rubin did with By The Way, as well as Nine Inch Nails "With Teeth"

If U2 can release a song like "Venice Queen" or "All The Love In The World" under that direction of Rubin (maybe as mentor rather than producer, ala Trent Reznor) I will be a happy man.

Or Audioslave's Cochise for that matter, if they just want to get with the Rock.

Rubin is a genius

AtomicBono said:
you know what U2.com should do? post clips. post short clips of recording sessions. why not? it'd be baller. people go nuts for shitty quality beach clips; just imagine what people would do hearing a 15 second good quality teaser! it'd be a good way to keep the fanbase interested and hype.

that would be nice :drool:

Clawgrabber said:
Rubin's grubby hands are exactly what U2 needs at this point.

And don't use WITS or Saints as examples. Bono said those were the end of the current sound. And look at what Rubin did with By The Way, as well as Nine Inch Nails "With Teeth"

If U2 can release a song like "Venice Queen" or "All The Love In The World" under that direction of Rubin (maybe as mentor rather than producer, ala Trent Reznor) I will be a happy man.

Or Audioslave's Cochise for that matter, if they just want to get with the Rock.

Rubin is a genius

Rubin can be a nice producer, but it's not great IMO, and his work only works (sorry for the redundance) for certain sound landscapes/stuff.
When I start to mix all the things said in these pieces of interviews and statements in my head - even though we don't have anything certain about U2's next direction - Rubin doesn't seem to make sense at all. I hope they still keep (once again) Eno/Lanois in the wagon, they seem more qualified for what U2 seems to be doing in the last weeks.

roy said:

Given that Larry is quoted as saying that they're getting together later this year to continue song writing; there is zero chance of it being released this year.

Oh I'm quite aware of that, I just wish they'd be spontaneous enough to take what they've done over the past year and release it without repeatedly polishing it.

And nothing against Rubin, he's done some good things, but he's just so commercial and not the kind of worker I'd like to see U2 work with, it's good that they've god Eno and Lanois with them at the moment to inspire and push them forward instead of quickly putting that inspiration through a collander of slick production and commercial appeal.

Back
Top Bottom