Unpopular musical opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to hear Hedge belt out the "opera" parts of Sometimes You Can't Serve It On Your Own or Miss Serveajevo, not to mention something like Moment of Service.

(and yes, it's a coincidence that all of those songs have "serve" in the title)

Hedge may have a "cleaner" or more consistent voice, but better? Hell no.

This is why it's unpopular opinion time!

My case in point example is Last Night on Earth, where you can actually hear them singing the same powerful note at the same time. Edge kills it while Bono almost always can't do it.

That was my "case-in-point" example. Which means it's the best example. Which means there are others. I'm not basing the entire thing off one song. That would be idiotic.

yes it would. By all means, if you feel that way, you are entitled to, I just dont see it. Like any pair of singers, one guy does some bits better, the other does other bits better.

Bono does the "carry the entire stadium on his back" thing better than edge. Edge is the perfect backing vocalist because he hits the notes purely and compliments Bonos voice well, but if I was picking one to carry a concert and get under the skin of 90,000 people, theres no decision to make

Bono's certainly more of a showman than Edge, there's no question about that. He's the lead singer, and he's good at that role. He's the frontman. He knows how to push the crowd's button with what he's singing.

But I'd say that since the end of ZooTV, I think Edge sounds better. That's just me.

Bono's certainly more of a showman than Edge, there's no question about that. He's the lead singer, and he's good at that role. He's the frontman. He knows how to push the crowd's button with what he's singing.

But I'd say that since the end of ZooTV, I think Edge sounds better. That's just me.

I agree that in general, Edge sounds better.

That is absolutely nothing to do with being a 'showman' though. I can be a showman, but I cant sing like that. Edge's voice is cleaner, and in general 'nicer'. Bono's voice is stronger, more powerful, emotive, carrying, and in general has more of the stuff I look for in a rock singer

This is why it's unpopular opinion time!

My case in point example is Last Night on Earth, where you can actually hear them singing the same powerful note at the same time. Edge kills it while Bono almost always can't do it.

While it really rocks, what bothers me about the live/single version is instead of singing "you gotta give it awaaaaaaaaaay" (when it's repeated in the chorus) like on the album, he pauses and sings "you gotta give it a----waaaaaaaaaaay", as if he needs that moment to gather up his breath. It's sad, really.

While it really rocks, what bothers me about the live/single version is instead of singing "you gotta give it awaaaaaaaaaay" (when it's repeated in the chorus) like on the album, he pauses and sings "you gotta give it a----waaaaaaaaaaay", as if he needs that moment to gather up his breath. It's sad, really.

I like the difference. That's what makes live songs special.

Edge's voice, very clean, nice falsetto but extremely limited and hasn't been used like Bono's has for the last 30 years. Apples vs Oranges.

It's like comparing a short distance runner to a long distance runner.

how about Led Zeppelin I > Led Zeppelin IV, is that unpopular?

and re: the singing in last night on earth, how is that "sad" exactly. non capisco

Not a big Zeppelin fan, but I always preferred I and III to IV, for sure. Physical Graffiti is probably their best though, and Achilles' Last Stand is my favourite song of theirs.

how about Led Zeppelin I > Led Zeppelin IV, is that unpopular?

Oh yeah. I think I is pretty monochromatic. IV has greater variety and a clutch of classic songs.

However, I think Houses Of The Holy is better than either. :D There's an unpopular musical opinion for you.

i'm not sure how popular or unpopular an opinion it is, probably depends on who you ask...but i've come to the conclusion that zeppelin were the #1 most overrated band of all time.

The ghost of Jim Morrison would like to have a word with you.

why, is he not happy with being the ringleader of the #2 most overrated band in rock n roll?

*i actually really, really like a handful of both doors and zep tunes.

I like the difference. That's what makes live songs special.

I personally think adding things (Mysterious Ways intro and outro), improving the sound (Until the End of the World), or giving it more oomph (Bad) are things that make live performances special, but I guess Bono being out of breath is one too?

Edge's voice, very clean, nice falsetto but extremely limited and hasn't been used like Bono's has for the last 30 years. Apples vs Oranges.

It's like comparing a short distance runner to a long distance runner.

What does this have to do with anything? I never said there wasn't a reason for it, I'm just saying for the past fifteen years Edge has been better. And to say his voice is limited is beyond absurd. Bono in his prime was better, sure, but Bono in his prime was better than almost anybody.

What does this have to do with anything? I never said there wasn't a reason for it, I'm just saying for the past fifteen years Edge has been better. And to say his voice is limited is beyond absurd. Bono in his prime was better, sure, but Bono in his prime was better than almost anybody.

Well it has everything to do with it. :huh:

How many lead lines have you heard from Edge in the past 15 years?

90% has been backing vocal which has been blended so to judge a voice on such limited exposure has everything to do with it. Like I said it's like comparing a long distance runner to a short distance runner. They can both be great runners but you can't ever say one is a better runner than the other. How would you compare? An apple is better than an orange.

How is Edge's voice not limited? Have you heard his low tones? Have you heard him go from full to falsetto? I can't think of any. I've heard a very limited range come out of Edge's voice.

Well it has everything to do with it. :huh:

How many lead lines have you heard from Edge in the past 15 years?

90% has been backing vocal which has been blended so to judge a voice on such limited exposure has everything to do with it. Like I said it's like comparing a long distance runner to a short distance runner. They can both be great runners but you can't ever say one is a better runner than the other. How would you compare? An apple is better than an orange.

How is Edge's voice not limited? Have you heard his low tones? Have you heard him go from full to falsetto? I can't think of any. I've heard a very limited range come out of Edge's voice.

Everything to do with it? It sounds like an excuse, as though I wasn't accounting for Bono's overuse. I'm well aware of Bono's voice being worn down. That wasn't the point. Thus, it has nothing to do with this discussion.

How many lead lines? He's not the lead singer, so he doesn't sing lead lines.

Van Diemen's Land shows pretty good range, and he can do low on things like Numb, even if it's more spoken word than singing. But he hasn't been called upon, as a backing vocalist, to do those things often. I believe he could.

Again, Last Night on Earth is a great example. When the two of them are singing that, it's not a lead vs. backing vocal thing. They're singing the same powerful line. And Edge kills it while Bono sounds weak.

Bono's voice is much fuller stronger than Edge's voice but Edge's falsetto is way better than Bono's now.

Everything to do with it? It sounds like an excuse, as though I wasn't accounting for Bono's overuse. I'm well aware of Bono's voice being worn down. That wasn't the point. Thus, it has nothing to do with this discussion.

How many lead lines? He's not the lead singer, so he doesn't sing lead lines.
I think you're missing my point. I'm not talking about overuse. I'm talking about how much of Edge's voice we've heard in order to judge such a thing.

When someone says "Edge has a better voice" it makes me think Edge could get up and sing the Bono parts on any album and it would sound better. To me that's like saying a sprinter can run a marathon. We don't know, we don't have the evidence. Harmonizing is much easier than singing lead.

Van Diemen's Land shows pretty good range, and he can do low on things like Numb, even if it's more spoken word than singing.
It shows decent range, but even then he's straining. Although I do think he'd be able to do a better job and not strain if he sang it today.

But he hasn't been called upon, as a backing vocalist, to do those things often. I believe he could.
This is my whole point. You "belive" he could. I just don't think he's shown us anything to really give us that knowledge, he might be able to, just like the sprinter might turn out to be a great long distance runner too, but until I see it I just don't buy it.

and re: the singing in last night on earth, how is that "sad" exactly. non capisco

I personally think adding things (Mysterious Ways intro and outro), improving the sound (Until the End of the World), or giving it more oomph (Bad) are things that make live performances special, but I guess Bono being out of breath is one too?

Again, Last Night on Earth is a great example. When the two of them are singing that, it's not a lead vs. backing vocal thing. They're singing the same powerful line. And Edge kills it while Bono sounds weak.

Thank you.

Also, I agree with the Houses of the Holy > I & IV, too.

I agree with IWasBored... never been a zep fan, just dont 'get it' I suppose...

Yeah, add me to that list. Never quite got them either. One of those bands that I always suspected the whole was less than the sum of the (brilliantly talented, to be fair) parts.

Bono's voice is much fuller stronger than Edge's voice but Edge's falsetto is way better than Bono's now.

This.

Edge has a very clear, pleasant tone to his voice, but there's no way he could carry a show for two hours by himself. Does that make him a poor singer? By no means. But if we're going to realistically compare his voice to Bono's, it has to be a deciding factor.

Or, you could just go the Daltrey/Townshend route and say they're both great in different ways.

I agree with IWasBored... never been a zep fan, just dont 'get it' I suppose...
i'm not a big fan either, but they do have some damn good tunes.
Thank you.

well that was an opinion, and i still don't understand what is "sad" about it. the 'a....waaaaaay' part doesn't necessarily mean that bono is sad and losing and has to take a breath, you know.

lemonmelon
Or, you could just go the Daltrey/Townshend route and say they're both great in different ways.

have you seen the who's next edition of that classic albums series? townshend does his version of behind blue eyes, i think it illustrates your point there perfectly, it becomes a completely different song when sung by pete.

it's one of the reasons why i love the who. roger has got one of the most dynamic, powerful voices i've ever heard (won't get fooled again, love reign o'er me) but pete really brings something introspective to the table as well. the punk and the godfather is a great song showing both of them working well.

-- I absolutely love U2. They are the greatest band of all time.

-- The best U2 decade is 2000-2009. ATYCLB, HTDAAB, and NLOTH are all incredible, fantastic albums.

-- Bon Jovi is a great band, and their recent albums have been very good (Have A Nice Day, Lost Highway)

-- Phil Collin's last album, Testify, is excellent. 2.52 on RYM, I'd give it a 3.8.

-- Radiohead. I don't get it. Why the obsession?

-- Hootie & The Blowfish, Phil Collins, Bon Jovi, Seal, Audioslave, Sheryl Crow, Bryan Adams, Goo Goo Dolls, Keane, Journey, and John Mellencamp have all made some excellent music in their careers.

-- Coldplay is the greatest young band around and Viva La Vida is a superb album. "Strawberry Swing" is Coldplay's best song.

-- Paul McCartney still puts out excellent music that is often better than anything The Beatles did (see Chaos and Creation, Electric Arguments)

-- U2 has written about 20 songs this decade that are better than "One".

-- Magic and The Rising are better than anything Springsteen did before them, even Born To Run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom