U2's Next Album?/Songs of Ascent?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since it will more than likely be at least 5 years before the next album with all new songs, I hope that after the E&I tour ends that U2 releases at least an EP of 5 or 6 songs to holdover the hardcore fans until the next album.

If the EP is released at the end of 2019, it will help bridge the waiting. U2 could look at all of the songs it has created but not released and throw 6 of them on a record without worrying about how they fit together or their various production styles since the release would not be considered the next big thing from the band.

Potential candidates that may please many hardcore fans could be the following:
1) A Boy Falls from the Sky (U2 version)
2) Mercy (original 2004 version). This would please Mercy fans and Mercy haters alike by bringing joy/closure since fans would have to stop wondering/whining about when the band would officially release this version.
3) North Star (not the Transformers version)
4) I'll Believe Her When She Sings (the song Bono raved about that was produced by RedOne)
5) Treason (if it really exists, the long-rumored Dr. Dre collaboration)
6) Andy Barlow said that the band had about 60 songs either done or nearly done for this album. There must be one or two songs that U2 could part with.

What do you guys think?

:up:
7) "Every Breaking Wave" original version recorded in 2008 and discarded from NLOTH tracklist in the very last minute because allegedly because of the album's lenght

:up:
7) "Every Breaking Wave" original version recorded in 2008 and discarded from NLOTH tracklist in the very last minute because allegedly because of the album's lenght
I hope this version will appear sometime!!!

I'd much rather they skip a new album, release a Springsteen Tracks style box set, extend this current tour longer so that it hits every part of the world, including some of the songs from the box set as they go, and then call it a day.
I think it's time to get those songs released rather sooner than later. Mercy should have been released in that first version, just like Book of your Heart.

I don't even like Mercy... but there's just so much material from 2000 on that's sitting on a shelf somewhere that they could easily put out 4 discs worth of material that we haven't heard, or heard in another form, and I'd just rather they release that in year and keep touring than gothrough another 3-5 year wait for a new album.

We've probably heard most of the 80s and 90s stuff, through B sides and remasters... but I'm sure there are some gems, alternate takes, etc that could see a release.

Yeah I’d like to hear the early version of SUC that we were barely able to hear on a clip recorded by a phone back in 2008. It was called For Your Love and was pretty excellent. What prompted the band to completely ditch that song and release arguably the worst song of their career will always puzzle me.

Anyway, give us a proper recording so we can update our NLOTH playlists.

Yeah I’d like to hear the early version of SUC that we were barely able to hear on a clip recorded by a phone back in 2008. It was called For Your Love and was pretty excellent. What prompted the band to completely ditch that song and release arguably the worst song of their career will always puzzle me.

Anyway, give us a proper recording so we can update our NLOTH playlists.
The Morocco No Line sessions
Chris Thomas Bomb sessions
The Danger Mouse only Innocence sessions
The Rick Rubin sessions
The Pop Hong Kong mixes
The Songs of Ascent sessions
All the various producers they worked with before settling on Danger Mouse for Innocence
Mercy
A U2 version of Boy Falls From The Sky
North Star
Treason
Etc etc etc

There's so much in the vault just from the past 20 years alone, let alone the 80s and early 90s.

The Morocco No Line sessions
Chris Thomas Bomb sessions
The Danger Mouse only Innocence sessions
The Rick Rubin sessions
The Pop Hong Kong mixes
The Songs of Ascent sessions
All the various producers they worked with before settling on Danger Mouse for Innocence
Mercy
A U2 version of Boy Falls From The Sky
North Star
Treason
Etc etc etc

There's so much in the vault just from the past 20 years alone, let alone the 80s and early 90s.

Hell yeaaaah! I want it all now! :drool::drool::drool:

This thread suddenly got super interesting. For Your Love became SUC?? Holy shit! I remember when those beach clips leaked like tracks 402, 404, 409 etc. I need to go dig in my iTunes to see if I still have for your love.

I recall some lyrics.. "All my life I've been waiting for... This moment I'm in, this moment I'm in." (?)

Last edited:
This thread suddenly got super interesting. For Your Love became SUC?? Holy shit! I remember when those beach clips leaked like tracks 402, 404, 409 etc. I need to go dig in my iTunes to see if I still have for your love.

I recall some lyrics.. "All my life I've been waiting for... This moment I'm in, this moment I'm in." (?)

I think you’re confusing a few songs.

No. The song you quote is different and never officially released. Stand Up came from For Your Love. In fact, I believe it was Lanois who stated that Stand Up actually was cobbled together from six different songs. It is amazing that U2 put so much time into this song in order to have a radio hit or stadium anthem and it was never played live or released as a single. Talk about a complete waste. I think the band realized after it was too late what they actually had in this "song."

Hey guys, does anyone have those NLOTH beach clips? I cant seem to find them on youtube.

Anyone know exactly when the last time U2 mentioned SOA? I could have sworn it had come up once or twice not long after the release of SOI. Something along the lines of Bono telling RollingStone that SOA was not dead, or still a possibility? I can't recall. It's been more than two years since we've heard anything.

I think, barring any unforeseen twists, we will see U2 return. But not for a while. I suspect, after the tour, they will remain silent for quite some time, and then in (late)2020 we start to hear some rumblings about new music being recorded. Not even willing at this time to put an estimate on when the next album will appear.....on all our iTunes.

Adam mentioned it in the Atu2.com interview with him in 2016. He actually mentioned playing stadiums again for a Song Of Ascent Tour.

I think its going to be either the Rick Rubin produced album or Songs of Ascent and most of the evidence points to Songs Of Ascent.

The Experience And Innocence tour will likely go into mid-2019. So the next album will probably come out at the end of 2021 or 2022 at the latest. Imagine getting a final recorded version of Mercy, 17 or 18 years after we first heard in late 2004.

I don't think the band have any plans to retire and are likely looking forward to being a band in the 20s and 30s.

Early 2020s, probably.

2030s? You're crazy.

They will be in their 70s then, not their 90s or over 100. Mick and Keith will turn 75 this year and plan to release a new Stones album of all new songs as well as tour for it. The idea that you have to stop doing what you love and sit in a rocking chair all day just because you hit your 65th birthday is crazy outdated thinking.

They will be in their 70s then, not their 90s or over 100. Mick and Keith will turn 75 this year and plan to release a new Stones album of all new songs as well as tour for it. The idea that you have to stop doing what you love and sit in a rocking chair all day just because you hit your 65th birthday is crazy outdated thinking.

It is a massive assumption to think that every band will still ‘love’ making music into their 70s. They may feel they’ve earnt their retirement.

It is a massive assumption to think that every band will still ‘love’ making music into their 70s. They may feel they’ve earnt their retirement.

U2 could have retired in 1990. They obviously enjoy making music with each other and playing live. They do this because they want to, not because they have to. But hey, if you think they would enjoy doing something else, lets hear your ideas.

Has anyone else seen U2’s latest Instagram post?

Looks like Songs of Ascent, November 2018. (joking)

Last edited:

Every chair Keith Richards sits in is a rocking chair.

U2 could have retired in 1990. They obviously enjoy making music with each other and playing live. They do this because they want to, not because they have to. But hey, if you think they would enjoy doing something else, lets hear your ideas.

Looks like Songs of Ascent, November 2018. (joking)

I don’t think the way I do about my likes and job as I did 27 years ago.

Saying I think they don’t and haven’t enjoyed playing and writing is deliberately obstinate. Of course they do and have.

To suggest that in their 70s they will absolutely still feel that way is, in my opinion, a very big assumption. Maybe they will, but they may also decide they’ve had enough.

Who knows ? They might have to consider issues beyond their control. (ie health)

Oh stop.

With the exception of Keith Richards, who's corpse will eventually be studied by scientists around the world to figure out who in the hell he's still alive... the major touring acts who are still out there touring in their late 60s and 70s... Mick Jagger, Paul McCartney, Bruce Springsteen... they are in PHENOMENAL physical shape.

Bono? Not that dude.

Edge and Adam seem to be, but Larry's body has been falling apart since Pop. And they won't continue if one of them doesn't want to, or can't, go on... they're an all or nothing act, unlike the Stones or a solo act.

Plus the band has always been one to chase relevancy... they're struggling with their inability to get it now. They'd have to have full acceptance of being the rock jukebox to continue much further beyond this album, and it's hardly a given that all 4 will want to do that.

I do hope I'm wrong - but every U2 fan should treat each show and album cycle going forward as potentially the end (and probably should have been treating every tour post 360 this way).

I don’t think the way I do about my likes and job as I did 27 years ago.

Saying I think they don’t and haven’t enjoyed playing and writing is deliberately obstinate. Of course they do and have.

To suggest that in their 70s they will absolutely still feel that way is, in my opinion, a very big assumption. Maybe they will, but they may also decide they’ve had enough.

Sure, they could have said that in 1990 too. So once again, after they have said they had enough, then what will they do? What will they do in place of writing, recording and playing live, something they love doing?

Who knows ? They might have to consider issues beyond their control. (ie health)

You could say that about anyone.

Oh stop.

With the exception of Keith Richards, who's corpse will eventually be studied by scientists around the world to figure out who in the hell he's still alive... the major touring acts who are still out there touring in their late 60s and 70s... Mick Jagger, Paul McCartney, Bruce Springsteen... they are in PHENOMENAL physical shape.

Bono? Not that dude.

Edge and Adam seem to be, but Larry's body has been falling apart since Pop. And they won't continue if one of them doesn't want to, or can't, go on... they're an all or nothing act, unlike the Stones or a solo act.

Plus the band has always been one to chase relevancy... they're struggling with their inability to get it now. They'd have to have full acceptance of being the rock jukebox to continue much further beyond this album, and it's hardly a given that all 4 will want to do that.

I do hope I'm wrong - but every U2 fan should treat each show and album cycle going forward as potentially the end (and probably should have been treating every tour post 360 this way).

Bono looked pretty good to me on the Joshua Tree Tour. Maybe you did not like his performance, but I thought it was awesome. Far better than Jagger, Springsteen, or McCartney.

Seems like every album/tour cycle since after the Joshua Tree, there is always a group of fans out there who claim they are finished. You think U2 will be dead 7 years from now, January 2025, if not sooner. I'm confident they will still be recording and touring in January 2035 with no plans to end things. We'll see who's right.

Sure, they could have said that in 1990 too. So once again, after they have said they had enough, then what will they do? What will they do in place of writing, recording and playing live, something they love doing?

Bono looked pretty good to me on the Joshua Tree Tour. Maybe you did not like his performance, but I thought it was awesome. Far better than Jagger, Springsteen, or McCartney.

Seems like every album/tour cycle since after the Joshua Tree, there is always a group of fans out there who claim they are finished. You think U2 will be dead 7 years from now, January 2025, if not sooner. I'm confident they will still be recording and touring in January 2035 with no plans to end things. We'll see who's right.

Any thoughts on Harrison Ford or Spotify?

Lol cool story.

I thoroughly enjoyed JT30. I saw Springsteen play the same stadium a year earlier, and he played for 4 hours without a single encore break. Literally twice as long as the JT show, at 67.

I don't see this as a competition, and I certainly hope you "win."

All I'd suggest is that you don't take any of these shows for granted, as if you've still got 20+ years to see them.

Back
Top Bottom