U2's new album to be recorded in Vancouver!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes I know, I have the album, it was released posthumously for a reason, Cash never intended to release it as is back then...

Cash has admitted in many interviews that it took a lot of coaxing for him to get comfortable with that idea. All I'm saying is that Rubin played a big part in that...

When they first got together, didn't Rubin ask "exactly what kind of album would you like to make?".

As opposed to Rubin saying "You should make this kind of album because..."

Rubin knew how to sell the man in black to a young audience outside the Nashville system. Cash wanted to make an album the opposite of the slick country stuff at the time.

A major act has block booked the Warehouse(largest studio in Vancouver with world class gear - last 3 REM albums) for January.

Maybe it's an Irish quartet.....like the Cranberries.

A major act has block booked the Warehouse(largest studio in Vancouver with world class gear - last 3 REM albums) for January.

Bono and Edge have to work on the Spiderman musical, so they won't have time for a U2 album.

What's the world coming to? :tsk:

Bono and Edge have to work on the Spiderman musical, so they won't have time for a U2 album.

What's the world coming to? :tsk:

Aren't the Spiderman issues related to Julie's responsibilities and all the flying stuff rather than songs and arrangements?

BTW, Brian Eno has speaking gigs in Vancouver and Calgary(1 hour flight away) the 2nd week of January.

The sarcasm/arguing has been migrating across threads, since there are so many that seem to all end up being about the next album, regardless of what the thread's about.

In case you missed it, Bono and Edge are apparently doing some more work on Spiderman, and some people are jumping to the conclusion that it's going to get in the way of whatever's happening with the new album.

Ah, okay. I can never tell around this part of the forum anymore.

My bizzle, R Dizzle.

Fo Shizzle.

Though, on a more serious subject perhaps the Vancouver rumour seems a bit more likely if Brian Eno has speaking gigs in Vancouver and Calgary the 2nd week of January

Fo Shizzle.

Though, on a more serious subject perhaps the Vancouver rumour seems a bit more likely if Brian Eno has speaking gigs in Vancouver and Calgary the 2nd week of January

Has Eno been actively involved in new U2 sessions since 2008?

While Vancouver is a short flight for Edge to his family in LA, it's a bit of a haul to NYC to Bono's place and to remedy Spiderman headaches.

Neither would be an excruciating exercise in flying.

Yes, during the European leg Larry specifically said Eno has listened to the songs in the studio.

vancouver to NYC and back again is not a very realistic flight to make on an every day basis. it's 5 hours one way.

if they are, indeed, going to vancouver then i think it would be more realistic if they spend a few weeks in NYC working on spidey and then a few weeks in vancouver... but flying back and forth isn't very realistic. bono and edge both need to be in new york... if the entire band will be working on the album during that time, one would imagine they would do it in new york as well.

it makes no sense to fly back and forth from NYC to vancouver... new york, ya know, is kinda a big city with plenty of recording studios.

They can, uh, finish the Spiderman songs by the second week in January and then relocate to Vancouver.

They can, uh, finish the Spiderman songs by the second week in January and then relocate to Vancouver.

They can, but that doesn't mean they will, necessarily. Writing for Broadway is a process, they need time to judge preview audience's reactions, etc. IMO, it'd be foolish to book time in Vancouver, in their current position. NYC makes much more sense.

It does, and Vancouver is a rumour at this point.

That said, it's not like Bono and Edge have to re-write the entire score.

Going on this, I think it's more wild speculation and a giant leap than a rumour. There are a LOT of major acts besides U2. :lol:

And no, they don't have to rewrite the entire score, but according to Broadway fans in the broadwayworld.com thread, it's customary for the composers to be there while the show is in previews, so that they can consult and make changes along the way. I wouldn't be surprised if NYC is their home base for most of the time until it's time to go back out on the road in February.

it makes no sense to fly back and forth from NYC to vancouver... new york, ya know, is kinda a big city with plenty of recording studios.

I have my doubts it's happening, but I'll keep my ear to the ground.

Vancouver has some advantages over other places. Taxes, lack of professional/family/weather distractions plus they can walk around with little hassle but it's a big enough city for whatever they need. Weather is close to Dublin.

BTW, having the studio on hold for month is probably a $50,000 tab. How many acts throw around that kind of money in 2011?

Why on earth would U2 need or want a month in Vancouver?

With what we know - they're finishing something up. Any continuing studio needs relating to that can easily be satisfied in New York/Dublin/Nice, or wherever they are in the world in January. It requires practically nothing in a gear/setup sense. They can do it literally from their living room if they want.

They only ever go for non-home locations as a kick-off for a new album. Even if they've had some crisis of confidence to some insane degree and have scrapped the lot, it would be scrapped till after the tour now. They're certainly not going to start fresh on anything now. And, while Vancouver by all reports is a fantastic place, it doesn't really fit the bill in terms of the exotic/inspiring locale they normally like to choose. The presence of a great studio is on its own meaningless as they're U2. I mean, they own a great studio. If they desperately require a full month in a studio, and for some reason can't get it in New York, so have to suck it up and go elsewhere, then... umm... they own one in Dublin?

Why on earth would U2 need or want a month in Vancouver?

With what we know - they're finishing something up. Any continuing studio needs relating to that can easily be satisfied in New York/Dublin/Nice, or wherever they are in the world in January. It requires practically nothing in a gear/setup sense. They can do it literally from their living room if they want.

They only ever go for non-home locations as a kick-off for a new album. Even if they've had some crisis of confidence to some insane degree and have scrapped the lot, it would be scrapped till after the tour now. They're certainly not going to start fresh on anything now. And, while Vancouver by all reports is a fantastic place, it doesn't really fit the bill in terms of the exotic/inspiring locale they normally like to choose. The presence of a great studio is on its own meaningless as they're U2. I mean, they own a great studio. If they desperately require a full month in a studio, and for some reason can't get it in New York, so have to suck it up and go elsewhere, then... umm... they own one in Dublin?

They could hold it to have options.

Edge could easily spend upward of 8 months of 2010 in the US which may throw him into an unwanted tax bracket.

Not sure about Larry/Bono and Irish/US rules.

Tax - true. And we know how U2 love paying tax!!!@#!@$#FUCKUBONO@!#!@!!!

Although, in reality, I doubt Edge/any of them spent 8 months in the US in 2010. Euro/Aust/NZ Touring + seems like most of the summer was pretty consistently spent in France.

Tax - true. And we know how U2 love paying tax!!!@#!@$#FUCKUBONO@!#!@!!!

Although, in reality, I doubt Edge/any of them spent 8 months in the US in 2010. Euro/Aust/NZ Touring + seems like most of the summer was pretty consistently spent in France.

Typo on my part. It's upwards 8 months of 2011 spent in the US with touring/spidey/home time for Edge. No reason to go to Europe and no reason for him to leave the US(save Africa/Latin shows) until mid/late August.

Incidently, A spidey delay from the newest accident could be a good thing for the alum.

Back
Top Bottom