U2 was in Buffalo the night Lennon was shot...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2wedge

New Yorker
U2 was in Buffalo the night Lennon was shot...seeking tribute ideas for show...

Okay I've been thinking about this for awhile and I figure this as a good a time as any to bring this up...

U2 was in Buffalo the night Lennon was shot back in 1980 and, as it just so happens, this Friday, the 25th (and a day) anniversary of Lennon's assassination, U2 will once again be in Buffalo.

Does anyone want to brainstorm to come up with something that the whole crowd could hold up as a tribute to Lennon during this show? I know in Poland fans did some cool things with red and white handkerchiefs during New Year's Day and fans recently did come cool stuff in Montreal.

What can we do for Buffalo to mark this special anniversary?

I'm thinking something that could be printed in mass quantities and handed out in the GA line day of show...

What about something like this:

lennonbuffalo.jpg

Last edited:
Well, you'd have to get the date right first. :wink:

(OK, so I just hate the illogical American month/day/year concept.)

Axver said:

It's perfectly logical if you've grown up with it, just as your method always gives me pause, yet I know if I grew up with it I would find it makes sense as well.

....but Christmas in the summer.... :no: :yikes:

:wink:

Maybe U2 will perform a cover of "Give Peace A Chance" during Bad or something like that...

A full band version of any song by John Lennon would be amazing. Give Peace A Chance, Gimme Some Truth, Power To The People, Cold Turkey, Watching The Wheels, Mind Games, would all be great ones but I think if they do anything it will be Instant Karma or maybe Happy Christmas (War Is Over), which would make perfect sense. :up:

great idea

I wonder if they'll cover Lennons merry xmas (war is over) I think that would really fit and I do believe they have played it as a band at some point.

Last edited:
Maybe change the date format to read ; 8th Dec. 1980 etc.,just a thought.A great idea and an inspired thing to do,could be very moving to see.

Songs: God sequed into God Part 2 (......don't believe in Goldman his type like a curse,instant karma's gonna get him if I don't get him first...).
Give Peace A Chance snippet during Love & Peace Or Else

But u2wedge you have a fantastic idea there my friend,I say do it..:up:

Or a snippet or "Happy Christmas (War Is Over)" during Bad would be great too

Axver said:
Well, you'd have to get the date right first. :wink:

Please, we accept whining only from people in real countries. Find someone from a real country and have your complaint relayed.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Arun V said:
great idea

I wonder if they'll cover Lennons merry xmas (war is over) I think that would really fit and I do believe they have played it as a band at some point.

My mom mentioned that they should play that, I agree, it would fit.

That is a great idea for the show too.

indra said:

It's perfectly logical if you've grown up with it, just as your method always gives me pause, yet I know if I grew up with it I would find it makes sense as well.

No, it's not logical. How is it logical to write 2nd largest/3rd largest/largest?

Either write it in ascending or descending order (yyyy-mm-dd or dd-mm-yyyy). Mixing it up is just weird. Though maybe now I'll start writing dates as 25/2005/12 just to confuse Americans. :evil:

Axver said:

No, it's not logical. How is it logical to write 2nd largest/3rd largest/largest?

Either write it in ascending or descending order (yyyy-mm-dd or dd-mm-yyyy). Mixing it up is just weird. Though maybe now I'll start writing dates as 25/2005/12 just to confuse Americans. :evil:

Axver, don't hijack my thread with your semantics!

We're in the USA for this show, so we'll use the USA date format.

Capiche?

Okay folks, if you're interested in printing out the above image, please email me at u2wedge at gmail dot com and I'll email the image to you. If we could get 20 people to print out 10 copies each that'd be 200 signs in GA.. I think that would be noticed.

I'd print more, but I don't want to kill my printer.

and to the person who asked, the font is 'Cobb'

Last edited:
u2wedge said:

Axver, don't hijack my thread with your semantics!

We're in the USA for this show, so we'll use the USA date format.

Capiche?

But it's at an Irish band's concert and relates to a British musician. :wink:

Lila64 said:

and that British musician chose to reside in NEW YORK CITY, in the U.S.A. :wink:

But New York was named for James, Duke of York, who became the King of England. :wink:

u2wedge said:

Well, it would be funny if Bono said "why are you lot holding up signs saying 12 September 2005? This isn't the opening night of the third leg, you know ..."

While I agree wholeheartedly with you, Axver (dammit, the North American date format really screws with me when it comes to bootlegs) I don't think it'll change his mind. :wink:

Axver said:

Well, it would be funny if Bono said "why are you lot holding up signs saying 12 September 2005? This isn't the opening night of the third leg, you know ..."

He'll get the point. I wish you would.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom