U2 Ticket Sales 101 - 12/4/14 and onward

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I should have distinguished between Dutch settlers and the Dutch--I forget there's actual Dutch posters who could call me out. LOL. Thanks for that Headache...I should add that "knickerbockers" were briefly a ridiculous style of pants. IMO they throw "Dutch heritage" around a little too casually here--tell me how is the Albany Tulip Queen a "Dutch" thing? Grow some roses in the park and throw a festival every year where a lot of college kids get drunk on Saturday, how " Dutch" is that. I'd argue that in subtle ways, the Native American (Iroquois League) influence might be stronger.

OMG. Headache, you're from Albany too? :doh: I'm very tempted to PM you and find out more. Like if we can meet someday and debate the meaning of "rich."
Just kidding:mac:

And I agree about the Knicks.

Logged on to TM right at 12 last Friday for the 7/14 Boston show, selected "GA Standing" (instead of going for Best Available), waited like 15 minutes in line and got em!!! So pumped:hyper:

It's a Washington Irving reference more than a Dutch reference. Irving wrote a book called The History of New York under a pseudonym with the last name Knickerbocker, which was apparently a popular last name at the time amongst Dutch settlers. New York was of course originally a Dutch colony.

The name Knickerbocker stuck as a nickname for New Yorkers, even though nobody really uses it anymore, other than our terrible terrible NBA team, the Knicks.

:lol: I don't think I've ever heard of a last name similar to Knickerbocker, so I've no clue where they actually got that from. Wish I could tell ya.

I did always wonder where the Knicks name came from, so guess I know now. :D

IW8simF.gif

if i recall correctly, the venues owned by LN are not the huge stadiums. for example house of blues is a subsidiary of LN. they also own some low thousands theatre's.

No stadiums, but the amphitheaters (which LN own or have an exclusive programming deal at most of them) hold a good 10-25,000 people.

In NYC, they own Irving Plaza and the Gramercy Theater, both pretty small (and surprisingly no corporate names). The bands who play the Gramercy are usually lame though, which is why I've only been to one show there although I actually like the venue. NYC is one of the few places that Live Nation doesn't have a stranglehold on, the Bowery Presents is actually an equal or bigger player here.

I just looked at the available seats for Chicago 4, and there's still a lot of upper level tickets left. I'm talking nosebleeds in the 100+ range! I don't understand why they don't slash the prices right now just to get the tickets sold?

If they'd have made the show on Saturday the 27th instead of Monday the 29th, the show would be nearly sold out. I know that interferes with their 2 days off between shows program, but having the 3rd and 4th shows on the 27th and 28th would be better for sales. I know especially since I became a parent, if a concert or any other event is not on a weekend, it's nearly impossible for us to get babysitter, because everybody has school/work the next day. Many of their fans are in similar predicaments.

No stadiums, but the amphitheaters (which LN own or have an exclusive programming deal at most of them) hold a good 10-25,000 people.

In NYC, they own Irving Plaza and the Gramercy Theater, both pretty small (and surprisingly no corporate names). The bands who play the Gramercy are usually lame though, which is why I've only been to one show there although I actually like the venue. NYC is one of the few places that Live Nation doesn't have a stranglehold on, the Bowery Presents is actually an equal or bigger player here.

LN did change Irving Plaza to "The Fillmore at Irving Plaza" for a bit but ultimately relented and changed the name back.

I just looked at the available seats for Chicago 4, and there's still a lot of upper level tickets left. I'm talking nosebleeds in the 100+ range! I don't understand why they don't slash the prices right now just to get the tickets sold?

Well, considering those tickets have been on sale for less than a week and there's still some six months until the show, I don't see a reason why prices have to be slashed.

Yeah, I assume that there will be way more tickets sold after the holidays, when people actually have money to spend..

Well, my personal (unfounded) estimation is that already more than 95% of the tickets have been sold for this tour. So I don't think way more tickets will be sold, that's not possible.
(Yes, some dates have more than 5% still available. But in contrast, many more dates are sold out)

Well, my personal (unfounded) estimation is that already more than 95% of the tickets have been sold for this tour. So I don't think way more tickets will be sold, that's not possible.
(Yes, some dates have more than 5% still available. But in contrast, many more dates are sold out)

Well im holding out until tuesday wich is payday for me, gonna get RED zone for stockholm 4 then.

Logged on to TM right at 12 last Friday for the 7/14 Boston show, selected "GA Standing" (instead of going for Best Available), waited like 15 minutes in line and got em!!! So pumped:hyper:

Same with me for the last MSG show. Waited 15 minutes and got 2 GA's. Now I have to figure out what to do with the extra set I have for the wednesday show

What's your estimate for tickets not in the hands of scalpers though? Stub Hub alone has over 4,000 tickets available for a single night in San Jose...when you chuck in scalping sites and the fact that there's still a vast swath of unsold $300 seats, it's probably about half the venue's tickets at most that went into the hands of actual fans.

Meanwhile, scalpers overestimated demand in a lot of markets and are starting to get hosed...nosebleeds for Phoenix are now selling for $45 total and will likely drop further (I don't even know what the delivery charges on TM are, so that could be very close to face value). It would not surprise me at all if those tickets dropped below their face value in a few days and most of the $300 tickets in the hands of scalpers are bound to have the same fate.

I think on average that maybe 10% of the balcony seats actually got into the hands of fans right away...the cheap seats were pretty much entirely available only via scalpers. We've had almost no success stories in the general sale of people acquiring GA or cheap nosebleed tickets and they had disappeared instantaneously with the start of multiple on-sales that I looked at. That time period where you're spent waiting or the "network is down due to high demand" is when the scalpers are overloading the system and taking everything they can in those first few minutes.

The proof is in the pudding that U2 is no longer one of the top live draws. Acts like Beyonce, Madonna or Justin Timberlake (or The Stones) charge far more for the average ticket and have done a much better job being sold to their fans (via the onsale or scalpers) than U2 has been doing in a lot of markets. Not that U2 isn't still the #1 draw in a lot of parts of the world, but I think the waning popularity of their new material over the last ten years has significantly killed off demand. People aren't even biting for nosebleed seats that are less expensive overall than Vertigo ones were ten years ago. That says something.

What's your estimate for tickets not in the hands of scalpers though? Stub Hub alone has over 4,000 tickets available for a single night in San Jose...when you chuck in scalping sites and the fact that there's still a vast swath of unsold $300 seats, it's probably about half the venue's tickets at most that went into the hands of actual fans.

Do you assume that scalpers did not receive as many tickets on Vertigo? I would not make such an assumption.

They've received way more tickets this time around than on Vertigo. The industry has significantly changed, especially with Ticketmaster now owning their own scalping sites and forwarding tickets to it. Vertigo tickets were a hell of a lot easier to get and the shows that didn't sell out right away were extremely easy to get cheap seats for...cheap seats were impossible to get this time around and literally all went on re-sale sites immediately.

The scalpers are going to take a big hit though. People in the Bay Area aren't that enthused about $300 for floor seats, for example, and I could see a lot of the $80 nosebleeds and $100+ nosebleeds selling for far below face value. They're essentially asking people to pay up-to-double for cheap seats than they did for the Vertigo Tour for an act that's in less demand.

I wonder if they'll even attempt a stadium tour in the US at all in 2016? I think we're similar to where we were in 1997 In terms of backlash. If U2 were doing stadiums right now, we'd be hearing about stadiums with only 20,000 tickets sold again.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I wonder if they'll even attempt a stadium tour in the US at all next year? I think we're similar to where we were in 1997 I'm terms of backlash. If U2 were doing stadiums right now, we'd be hearing about stadiums with only 20,000 tickets sold again.

I meant to make an edit, not quote myself. FAILURE

Yeah, I'm not sure the demand is generally there. They sure as heck won't be doing a stadium gig in the Bay Area, for example, if they can't effectively sell out two arena shows (with half the capacity overall of a stadium).

I think there's enough demand in most markets around the world though. It might mean playing only one stadium gig in a certain city instead of two, but it can be done. The United States has always been one of the band's worst markets per capita, but it also has more than 300,000,000 people. So, in return, US fans get a bunch of extra, more-intimate shows on the Vertigo/SOI&E tours because people like them less here.

They also can't charge as much for stadium shows as some of their contemporaries. Acts like Madonna or The Stones can charge $400/600 an average ticket, respectively, for a stadium gig, but U2 can't get anywhere near that if they're having trouble with an average ticket hovering around $200 for regular seats in arenas.

Even the Stones had trouble selling out arenas in 2013 at their ridiculous prices. The Stones also don't do rear stage seating, so they aren't selling as many tickets as U2. For example, the Stones played 3 shows in Chicago that year, at the United Center. They sold 43,000 tickets, which averages out to less than 15,000 per show. With U2's 4 shows at the United Center, I'm sure they've sold over 70,000 tickets (Vertigo's 4 night stand had 77,000 people there, and for this year really only the 4th Chicago show is selling slow).

Another example is the Stones played 2 shows in the Bay area, Oakland and San Jose. Oakland had 14,000 tickets sold, and San Jose had 12,000. I'm sure that between U2's 2 San Jose shows for next spring, they have more tickets sold than that.

Granted the Stones are more expensive than U2, which would drive down demand some. But basically, both bands charge too much. And by doing this, they can only play in places like LA, Chicago, NYC, Boston, Toronto, Vegas, etc. Imagine U2 trying to play in a place like Louisville with their current prices!!

50 & Counting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I purchased MSG 6 GA's and selected ticket fast while rushing on mobile, but it is not showing me a way to print them; it simply says "mobile entry" (NOT CC entry), and there's a link to sell but not print. Has anyone encountered this? Thought I'd ask before spending an hour on hold with TM.

Seems like demand for U2 is much lower in the US and prices are higher than Europe.

Why is that i wonder, high demand = higher prices. Not the other way around.

But still they give the US audience more (live DVD's, TV performances, more indoor shows) than Europe in general. I guess they sell themselves more here than in the US. Or something.

Seems like demand for U2 is much lower in the US and prices are higher than Europe.

But still they give the US audience more (live DVD's, TV performances, more indoor shows) than Europe in general. I guess they sell themselves more here than in the US. Or something.

How come you say that the ticket prices are higher in the US?
Is this true? Even when you consider the exchange values?

Really?so for example what is the price for GA in US? In Europe it is about 73 euro = 90 USD

I purchased MSG 6 GA's and selected ticket fast while rushing on mobile, but it is not showing me a way to print them; it simply says "mobile entry" (NOT CC entry), and there's a link to sell but not print. Has anyone encountered this? Thought I'd ask before spending an hour on hold with TM.

I've got the same problem with a GA for NY 5 show.

I tried to access via mobile phone to the order but website shows me only an error page

Back
Top Bottom