U2 songs you don't "get"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find that I can easily connect with U2s modern tunes, but dating back to October and Boy I find it harder

When I Look At The World (sounds unfinished to me, would’ve made a brilliant b-side, though)
City Of Blinding Lights (sounds like U2 trying too hard – BUT…that said, it was brilliant live)
Native Son (the lyric seem too forced and that takes me out of the song – but I do love the rawness of it)
Beautiful Ghost (um…yeah…ok…:crack: )

You guys are picking some of my favorites, particularly the lack of love for So Cruel hurts.

But Party Boy, how do you not "get" Peace on Earth it's not exactly subtle in what it's about (OMAGH!!!!! What mroe needs to be said) despite not being subtle it is a great underrated song.

-Is That All?
-Surrender
-The Refugee
-Elvis Presley and America
-So Cruel
-The First Time

City of Blinding Lights - yawn. Who are these u2 imitators?
Pride - sounds like it was made especially for radio and pub jukeboxes. It also doesn't gel with the more sonically restrained songs on The Unforgettable Fire album.

I cannot believe this many people have said Hearland! Meaning like 2. Which is still 2 too many. It's quite simply one of the band's most beautiful songs they've ever written.

Anyway, for me:

Last Night on Earth (the video rocks though)

Pride (ick.)

Drowning Man (just not crazy about it)

There are a lot of U2 songs I don't like. But it's fascinating to hear some of these lists. A Sort of Homecoming might be my favorite U2 song ever and it's on someone's list? That's almost good to know in a way.

I think Baby Face on Zooropa might one of my least favorite songs.

There are a lot of songs that piss me off though—songs in which I hear U2 scratching the surface of brilliance: Original of the Species, Who's gonna ride your Wild Horses.

What's with all the hate for Pride? Also, even if you don't like it, that doesn't seem to be the topic of this thread, maybe it would be that you don't "get" why so many people like it?

And LPU2? What do mean by being pissed off by songs like Wild Horses and OOTS for scratching on the surface of brilliane? You mean you think they had to potential to be better but weren't? Or it annoys you because they're so good? Consider me confused.

does "don't get" necessarily have to mean "don't like"?

I mean, obviously you might not like them as much as songs that you do connect with, but that doesn't mean you have to hate them... I don't get Bad, but I still like it.

Kristie said:
does "don't get" necessarily have to mean "don't like"?

I mean, obviously you might not like them as much as songs that you do connect with, but that doesn't mean you have to hate them... I don't get Bad, but I still like it.

Whether or not you get a song doesn't = whether or not you think it's good or bad, or at least that wasn't my intention with the thread. I think because I don't understand what U2 was going for with ASOH or So Cruel I don't like the song as much as I could of. It's not supposed to mean I hate the song.

Of course, everyone's free to take their own interpretation of "get". :)

Last edited:
Elvis
Trip thru your wires
Hawkmoon
Love recue me
Daddy's gonna pay for your crashed car
Some days are better than others
miami
Grace
All of the above I skip most of the time

I have not skipped this one yet but have come close

City of blinding lights

One
Angel Of Harlem
Stay
Lemon
Numb
I Still Haven't Found What Im Looking For
Stuck In A Moment
Walk On
All I Want Is You

"get" means understanding/connecting with--it should be separated from "like/dislike", although I suppose lack of connection = dislike :huh:
That said, there are several I don't "get" but does not mean they're not good songs; Promenade for ie. what does it mean?
MoFo also...
A slight aside: would y'all believe I've never before looked up lyrics for The Unforgettable Fire and when I just recently checked out lyrics for Elvis Presely and America I liked the song more, but I still didn't "get" it...

You all have such short memories.....

Treasure - what ever happened to Pete the Chop

Celebration

Three sun rises

J Swallow

Yeah, the Hands that Built America is pretty much summed up in it's title, and is AMAZING, and fits perfectly into Gangs of New York's theme :drool:

Wow, tastes differ! Most of my favorite songs were mentioned!
Anyway, I personally don`t get The Playboy Mansion and Miami - they just don`t stick with me `cause they kind of feel emotionless, and one of the things I love the most about U2 is emotion!
Also, I don`t get most of their covers - except for Unchained Melody which I love (oh, that passionate voice of Bono`s!:drool:) - what was the point of all these other covers really?

Darenka said:

Also, I don`t get most of their covers - except for Unchained Melody which I love (oh, that passionate voice of Bono`s!:drool:) - what was the point of all these other covers really?

I think U2 has done an excellent job choosing covers.:drool: Back in the day, they introduced me to some great artists.

The only one I haven't heard was Neon Lights.

But back to original topic the songs I don't get are:

Miami - love the trip hop influence, but lyrically leaves me wanting more.

New York - decent until the "hot as a hair dryer" part, I just don't get how Bono could ruin such a potential of a song.

Playboy Mansion - I actually like some parts of this song, but I just don't get songs that use such date stamped lyrics. Big Mac, Michael Jackson, etc...
On the same topic, Kite is one of my top 5 but hate the "hip hop" line.

Elevation - once again had some potential, but the whole mole shit bothered me.

even though its probably my faveorite song ever and i essentially understand the song itself, i never really got the videoclip to beautiful day, i just dont see the relevance..still its a good clip but

Let's keep this thread friendly.

Just because you LOVE a song and think it's brilliant doesn't mean you should insult someone who doesn't agree with you. Respect people's opinions just as you expect respect for your own.

God, between you youve listed nearly all the U2 songs ive liked and connected with the most..one tree hill, a sort of homecoming, miss sarajevo, mpfo....
Anyway, its always interesting to see how other people see u2.
The ones i didnt connect with too much are
i will follow
fire
like a song
when love comes to town
if God will send his angels
walk on
when i look at the world
miracle drug
miracle drug
miracle drug and errr
MIRACLE DRUG!!!!