U2 on SNL Season premiere?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
just got back from SNL and to a computer finally, review then gonna crash...

a friend of mine got tickets for me to SNL through a contact :)

so, i and another fan friend of mine show up at 7pm to get in. Got first row on 2nd level just off the floor looking straight at where the host stands at beginning of the show.. u2's stage is to left of that... good seats :) on the rail :lol:

the skits were funny, some hilarious :lol: there were no skits with u2 in them.

the dress rehearsal setlist was: breathe, MOS, Ultraviolet, breathe...

bono was in good form.. walked around on the floor a little..

Ultraviolet was like at 360 shows with the wheel thing and laser jacket :hyper:

Megan fox is hot :drool:

the cast were jumping to u2 at the end!!

Afterwards, it was raining an still is now. Went to a pub an got some food an tried to get the rude bartender to put on SNL, he put on the station but no sound :mad: ....sat there a little while an went back to where the band was to come out...

Edge comes up first.... EVERYBODY crowded around him like a mob, wtf, wait an have patience people....

Bono rolls up, gets out an shakes one hand i think an gets back in really quick because everybody is rushing over from edge to greet him...

meanwhile,... Adam, comes up an is standing next to me with practically nobody aroiund him... lol, wheres the love for the bass man? i had a chat with him for the first time ever!!! told him he's a great bass player an to have a good night in nyc... he said thanks! i got a pic with him too.

then edge finally got a chance to get a pic with me an he goes "Hey jesse" !!!!! the band knows who i am really an its amazing feeling!!!!!! because in boston, bono said thanks to me for being there... listen to the 9-20 bootlegs after WOWY (i think) :)

I have finally met all 4 of them now...

i am ashamed of the people who did not stand back an wait their turn an constantly crowding around bono an edge an freaking out the security/body guards.. People, wait an have fucking patience!!!!! :madspit:

pics to follow in a couple days or so....

off to bed!

The band knows you by name? You got SNL tickets?
We really need to hang out more :wink:

You're probably right. I guess there are people who think these skits are funny.

I was at a wedding and arrived home just in time for U2 on SNL! :hyper:

Having seen U2 four times in the past few weeks, I actually felt they were a bit off tonight. Unlike many here, I felt the energy was far lower than it was in their tour. But I guess playing in front of 50-80K or more people is quite different than probably the few hundred or so in the SNL studio.

Bono's voice did sound hoarse, but they chose the perfect songs for it. I would have loved to have heard WOWY, because that song is NOT meant for a hoarse voice. Would Bono have suddenly just "cleared his throat" and sang well? He sang this song beautifully in Boston 2 (or Foxboro 2), so... Regardless, the songs were perfect choices given his voice - in fact, the hoarse voice enhanced the songs (especially the start of MOS - that was great).

As for the skits... fortunately I only endured an hour. The news, as always was fun, but the two "guests" on the news were annoying. One - who used to be on various Nickelodeon shows - spoke so fast I had no idea of his jokes. The other - the nervous traffic tip woman - became just silly. It was a one theme joke and after she did her "just kidding" bit a few times, it was tiring (although the graph and "just kidding" was funny).

The skit I abhored and that clearly fell flat was Biker Chick. I know this is supposed to be similar to the classic "Wayne's World", but it didn't have the talent or humor to pull it off. Good idea, bad execution. Again, it was a one-theme idea ("frickin' this and frickin' that") that gets old fast.

But some of the other skits were pleasant and I didn't mind them at all. I enjoyed the phone line skit a lot - that was one of the best they've done (for the shows I see). Clearly it's hit or miss with these skits, and one never knows how it will go over in front of a live audience.

Overall, Bono's been hoarse before on SNL, but had more energy ("Elevation"). But I felt the song choices were really different and was impressed. I feel those songs are better in concert, but they worked well here too.

And SNL, eh, it's got its moment. :)

The song choices reminded me more of them promoting the 360 TOUR itself rather than worrying about any singles that may or may not come out. They played the tours opener, closer, and most visually stunning song. :love:

I cannot make out all of the words during the 2nd rap part (towards minute 5:15) - can someone else?

i was happy for the band, seeing them play UV live on TV was amazing. I'm jealous at Jesse :)

Love Bono's deliberate vocal shift in UV, more powerful, and prominant on TV.

Looking at Edge's face when Bono messes up the lyrics in MoS was hilarious. He had to figure out if Bono was skipping, adding or repeating a verse. :shifty:

Am I the only one absolutely loving that vocal melody Bono sings at the end of MOS?

"don't leave me now, alone in this song....oh, don't leave me here alone in this song"

holy shit that sounds great

Saw the band last night as well...out of all the times I've had the opportunity I've never seen such a bunch of vultures in my life! There were a bunch of french people screaming at Bono he jumped right back in his car, thanks for that whoever you are and Edge was so mobbed he kept telling people to relax :angry: Seriously people are we 12?! The band is nice enough to come over and talk to everyone so in the future, try and act civil not like an infant and screw it up for the rest of us..:madspit::censored:

Saw the band last night as well...out of all the times I've had the opportunity I've never seen such a bunch of vultures in my life! There were a bunch of french people screaming at Bono he jumped right back in his car, thanks for that whoever you are and Edge was so mobbed he kept telling people to relax :angry: Seriously people are we 12?! The band is nice enough to come over and talk to everyone so in the future, try and act civil not like an infant and screw it up for the rest of us..:madspit::censored:

have to agree with this-- i waited for the band after SNL, and saw Edge get completely mobbed on the other side of the exit. my friends and i stayed back on the opposite side of the exit, not wanting to be a part of that crazy mob. i couldn't believe what chaos it was-- and unfortunately, Edge never came over to our side b/c he was so crowded. bono then drove up the ramp to exit, rolled down his window and said a couple of words to us, and then continued driving out to the street. i couldn't see what was happening, but a huge mob of people swarmed his car and he took off. :( so, aside from a few brief words with bono from inside his car, we didn't get to meet any of the band members due to the rude behavior of the other people there. :( don't people understand that if everyone stays calm and lines up on the sidewalk and does not swarm around the band, they will stay longer and sign for everyone?? ugh, it's so annoying and frankly disrespectful. :down:

Am I the only one absolutely loving that vocal melody Bono sings at the end of MOS?

"don't leave me now, alone in this song....oh, don't leave me here alone in this song"

holy shit that sounds great

Yeah, probably a shout out to the greatest hits losers who walked out on Thursday. I liked the 'rap' a lot.

:up: Exactly. Sorry for everyone who missed out due to the idiots. :hug: Must have been awful for the band and security. People not learning to chill out and spoiling it for others. :|

Regarding SNL need to get to a youtube video of it as it isn't broadcast here. Can't wait to see the performances. :)

Glad I didn't wait ... went with my sister to try to get stand-by, went to eat with plans to go back to catch the band on the way out, but the rain convinced us to go home .... :huh:

I didn't wait either. I saw Bono go in and he said he was going to come back up and never did

it was as horrible as everybody said it was. i saw a guy throw a baseball at Edge after yelling for Edge to sign it it. Did not even see Adam, but saw a seperate swarm of people. Bono's SUV was rocked back and forth until he sped away. Edge's security was working extra hard to keep him safe. He came right over to me and shook my hand, which was kind of a surprise. He didn't remember my name, but knew I was also in Chicago and asked what I liked better (NY or Chicago). I said Chicago:) He signed a photo of the two of us to me, but unfortunately not until after I was pushed out into the rain, so the phtoo has rain drop and ink streaks all over now. He then spoke to EdgeIsTooSexy, and she showed him her Music Rising tatoo, which was really cool. He showed a lot of interest. Then he was mobbed and everything went downhill....

Wow, I don't remember hearing of any stories like this before of near riot induce hysteria.
I wonder if this is happening elsewhere too? Probably not since JT have they seen this kind of thing?

Bono's suv being rocked, come on people.... that is craziness :|:down:
I feel bad for the fans that were calmly waiting.....nice how a few maniacs can ruin it for everyone.
:madwife:
:down:

Thankfully among the chaos I got some good Edge pics and was fortunate enough to see Bono before the show and lunatics! Will try and post soon

Back
Top Bottom