U2 on playing in South America again!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheBrazilianFly

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I just saw an interview with all the members of the band and Paul MacGuiness and in the interview the guy asked Bono if they will bring the Vertigo Tour to Brazil and Bono said: “Well I will be very upset if we don’t. It’s funny cause in my memory some of our best shows happened in South America. We want to go back to Brazil!” Paul MacGuiness also said that they HAVE to find a way to go to Brazil and that he would REALLY want to do something different there. Then he asked the interviewer if had anyone ever played in an oilrig at the ocean? He said that it would be interesting to have U2 playing a concert in the ocean.

Bono also said that he loved going that promo show in Brazill in 2000, cause that was exactly the kind of thing they used to do in the beginning of their career, playing at TV shows and that it felt very good to do something like that at that point of their career Edge also said that they had a great time in Rio in 2000 shooting the video for Walk On. Adam said that he has great memories of the shows here and that he was amazed how so many people were singing the songs in English even though English is not our first language.

Just before the interview was over Bono grabbed the interviewer and said looking at the camera that they REALLY wanted to go back again to Brazil!!

U2 in Brazil with the Vertigo Tour = :combust: :faint: :love: :bow: :hyper: :drool: :crazy:

That would rule. with rumors of a stadium US leg, it would be really unfair if U2 didn't go to South America and Australia as well.

My girlfriend is from Sao Paulo and came here to L.A. to see the beginning of the tour with me. We met Bono and the guys at the rehearsals at the LA Sports Arena and on March 25, Bono came out to meet fans. She mentioned that they need to return to South America to him. He told her they are working on it, that it's a case of working out the details to make it happen.

Three days later of course, Bono promised Mexico shows in 2006. My guess is that after Australia and Japan to start off 2006, the guys will take the tour to stadiums in South America around March, then Mexico will follow and based on what Paul M said on irish tv on Friday, then ti seems the Vertigo tour could end with stadium shows in major US cities around spring time.

Let's hope all this happens for U2 fans everywhere.

I so hope this happens!

here's what 2006 should look like:
Australia/NZ
Japan/Southeast Asia
Mexico/South America
Eastern Europe

Oh, and pop out an album sometime in between there too! :wink:

seriously, though, I hope you guys get a tour :up:

a concert in the ocean? that would be so sweet. everybody would float out and watch the concert on inner tubes, and rafts, and kayaks.

Chizip said:
a concert in the ocean? that would be so sweet. everybody would float out and watch the concert on inner tubes, and rafts, and kayaks.

:hyper:

and think how many people the ocean could hold! bono could swim around! everyone would be in bathing suits.:ohmy:

the possibilities are endless!

Hey, I hope it happens for you guys. S. America obviously has some rabid U2 fans, its evident from the shows that were filmed there for Popmart. The problem is U2 will not go there unless its cost effective. They will not go down there to lose money. If they can figure out a way to at least break even, they will probebly do it. But thats the big question and problem.

Unfortunately nothing in that interview is any different than what the band or Paul says when asked questions like that from the media from said area. They did not say anywhere in that interview that they are "planning" to get there. Its, yes we would LIKE to get there. They said the same thing about Elevation, Zoo TV and The Joshua Tree tours. Rattle And Hum was suppose to be shot in Sao Paulo in 1988, but was cancelled because the show would be to expensive to do there.

The Rollig Stones are coming here next year, I don't know if their tour is as expensive as U2's but it sure won't be cheap, they always put big stuff on their tours too. So if they are coming I think that means U2 could make it happen too. :yes:

TheBrazilianFly said:
The Rollig Stones are coming here next year, I don't know if their tour is as expensive as U2's but it sure won't be cheap, they always put big stuff on their tours too. So if they are coming I think that means U2 could make it happen too. :yes:

Thats true, but the Stones are also charging up to $450 to $300 for a decent percentage of their seats. They are cashing in more than U2 on the rest of their tour to help absorb the costs of going down there. U2 could still go down there, the problem with it is if they were planning to do it right after Australia, it would be planned right now (venue booking, hotel booking, transportation etc. would be worked on already or would be happening right now). That interview doesnt seem to indicate that. They would be saying they are coming if it was. Its still possible, I would just hate to see you get your hopes up solely based on that interview. Its the typical canned response really for that type of question. :shrug:

maybe if they didnt donate 6 million dollars to africa they could have toured other areas easily :rant:

I just saw the interwiew too, and i think is so funny Paul MacGuiness asking about a oilrig, i have to learn how to swim to see Bono next to me!!!!:lol:
The last big shows are placed in Copacabana Beach, and Rollin Stones are going to be there too.

Maybe one more video like Walk On ?:hmm: What song?

A lot of Big Bands are coming here, like Rollin Stones, our people have money to spend whith shows and to have fun, sorry if some of you don't know about Brasil, the tickets prices are the same of yours, i payed the same for Lenny Kravitz GA the last show here.

I'm crossing my fingers to Latin, South Americans, Aussies and N. Zelands, Eastern Europe and Japaneses friends!!!:wave:

I'm very happy :hyper:

shy said:

A lot of Big Bands are coming here, like Rollin Stones, our people have money to spend whith shows and to have fun, sorry if some of you don't know about Brasil, the tickets prices are the same of yours, i payed the same for Lenny Kravitz GA the last show here.

I'm crossing my fingers to Latin, South Americans, Aussies and N. Zelands, Eastern Europe and Japaneses friends!!!:wave:

I'm very happy :hyper:

Its not the ticket money that is the problem with S. America. Its the promoter costs, the fees, insurance costs, etc. the countries down their charge that make it prohibitive to play there. Its the same problem with Australia. Apparantly the cost has come down enough for Australia as they are going there this time. So maybe its possible the same has happened in S. America. I'm not against them going there, you guys deserve to get them. I'm just skeptical and that interview doesnt say to me they plan to at all.

Sorry, but if you are from USA, you have a lot of chances to see U2 and others bands. Maybe this interwiew could be like a dream, but for us is the best that could happen since the start of Vertigo Tour, when Brasil never was mentioned.

i think hes saying just don't get your hopes up

its good news sure if youre in south america, but its nothing official and they still may or may not go down there.

I agree I shouldn’t have my hopes so high (I won't really but still they seemed very honest and passionate about it). Still, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :hyper: If it doesn't happen at least I know they'll go to the studio for a new album and I know that at some point in the future they will come back here. I just hope it's with this tour. :drool:

shy said:
Sorry, but if you are from USA, you have a lot of chances to see U2 and others bands. Maybe this interwiew could be like a dream, but for us is the best that could happen since the start of Vertigo Tour, when Brasil never was mentioned.

:hmm: Not sure you understood my last post from that response. I'm not against them going there. Australia and S. America deserve to get them over anyone else. I'm just saying the band has said very similiar things in the past and it didnt happen. I'm not trying to be a wet blanket on this. But I KNOW there will be posts next year saying BUT THEY SAID THEY WERE COMING TO S. AMERICA!! No, they didnt, they said they would like to. Big difference. Like I said, it may happen and I hope it does. But dont be shocked if it doesnt either.

Yes, not official i agree whith you, but i don't agree to get a cold shower after to had been so happy.
Let us dream!!!!:sexywink:

I'll not be shocked , i know the chances and the risks, i know the past and the present, i know how was difficult to get tickets from U2.com and Ticketmaster, i know what's to be a fan in S. America, 3rd world. :(
Anyway, I'm going to Miami and Tampa:wink:

shy said:
I'll not be shocked , i know the chances and the risks, i know the past and the present, i know how was difficult to get tickets from U2.com and Ticketmaster, i know what's to be a fan in S. America, 3rd world. :(
Anyway, I'm going to Miami and Tampa:wink:

that's more shows than i'm going to :wink:

i wish they would just announce something officially, theyre playing with peoples emotions and its not right:shame:

just because you live in a so-called third world country doesnt mean you shouldnt get to see a good band play. music is not about money for christs sake! i wonder why the promotional costs are so much higher in australia, south america, etc...

I'd like to explain to you, but the costs are high for promoters, fees, ensurences, Blue Moon is right. In 1998, Pop Mart Tour had 16 airplanes whith equipaments, 2 stages. Paul MacGuiness said nevermore. Countries below the South hemisphere don't make money.
In 2000, only one pocket show to promote ATYCLB, and now, we don't know anything, only dreams.

I think, that after the Australia- Japan leg, and if the spring tour finally happens (stadium tour in Canada, USA, Mexico) then U2 will consider doing a leg for South America

Here's hoping South Africa get a look in - bono did the 46664 show there with the edge, so why not? Maybe spend the northern winter in the southern half of the world, and head north to Mexico in April/May and then a few US/Canada shows.

By the way ICELAND WAS ROBBED! No Reykjavik show! Pffft.

Back
Top Bottom