U2 NEED TO MOVE WITH THE TIMES

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
People are majorly missing the whole point of the Radiohead approach. The point was to show that an artist can release an album on their own without a record company, and do it in a way in which they still make money and generate buzz about the album. The point was not to prove that giving shit away for free online is the way of the future.

Haha exactly! :up:

if the point was that artists don't need record companies
then they're making this point about 5 years too late
record companies are being forced to kick out people left, right and centre for years now
i didn't think anyone still reckons that record companies hold a stranglehold over any artist

I actually would like it if the publicity of the new album would focus on the actual album
not a campaign centred around the first single
not handing out freebies
but somehow showing that this is an album you want to hear in its entirety

i just want the album
i am not even gonna pretend i care what else they do
as long as i get to buy and listen to the album

thank you :bow:

who gives a shit how they release it??! even if they did it a la radiohead, i wouldn't download it, i'd wait for the physical copy... couldn't give a shit about them moving with the times.

who gives a shit how they release it??! even if they did it a la radiohead, i wouldn't download it, i'd wait for the physical copy... couldn't give a shit about them moving with the times.

well, for me whenever my fav artist does something like this, I ALWAYS buy both.. Did that for RH. Paid a few bucks for the download and then bought the physical cd when it came out. I definitely have to have the CD whenever I buy new music of a fav band. If it's someone who I like but not ga ga over I will just download the album from itunes.

Wait, if U2 gave you the option of paying however much you wanted to pay for the album to download it off their website a few months before it actually came out you wouldn't bite at all?

I certainly would and I wouldn't care about the quality of the mp3s either. I'd also buy the physical CD when it did come out.

Well it's different when the download is available much sooner than the physical cd, because most people wouldn't resist the temptation, but if both would be offered to me the same time, I would get the cd and pay for it rather than a free download.

Wait, if U2 gave you the option of paying however much you wanted to pay for the album to download it off their website a few months before it actually came out you wouldn't bite at all?

I certainly would and I wouldn't care about the quality of the mp3s either. I'd also buy the physical CD when it did come out.

David,

Well it's different when the download is available much sooner than the physical cd, because most people wouldn't resist the temptation, but if both would be offered to me the same time, I would get the cd and pay for it rather than a free download.

is what I believe I meant. If there was like a month gap, I would. But I'm very much a CDs man, the only time I download is if I like a single song by a band that I won't buy the album off, or if it's proving difficult to find, or to see whether I like the sound to say yes or no to getting the hard copy.

Overall, though, I do agree that some changes have to be made. CD releases are still grand and I have no problem with them. But it's time to capitalize on the download revenue as well.

I completely agree with you. But apart from that and talking about Radiohead. wouldn't it be cool if they would make some big changes in their music? Like Radiohead did with "kid A" ? Or like U2 did with "Achtung Baby"? That would be really cool! And that could go together with a new way of bringing the music to the people.

Sorry, was a little bit off topic...

I don't care what they do to promote it - probably something new - as long as I can buy a cd version. I hate download only releases.

I agree, I still love buying a CD. If the only way to get a new U2 album was through download, I'd do it, of course...but I'd rather have the CD.

With the Radiohead discussion in this thread, I'll add that I didn't listen to In Rainbows until I was able to buy it on CD. However...while I obviously like Radiohead, U2 are tops for me...so if U2 went that route, I'm not sure if I'd wait it out for a CD release or not. :hmm: If I did get the digital release, I'd still buy the CD once it came out though.

^^same here. I want the physical CD. I don't care if I can download artwork with an digital-only release; it's not the same.

How about live shows via download? Paul is happy since it's more $$, Fans are happy since it's a better memento than a t-shirt, etc...

How about live shows via download? Paul is happy since it's more $$, Fans are happy since it's a better memento than a t-shirt, etc...

I think that's fine. Hey, that's how I currently get all my live shows anyway....:wink:

i wish they released all the shows through a dedicated website, with shows available in a lossless format option- like primuslive.com, or even better like pearl jam where you download the show the next day and get a physical cd in the mail a few weeks later.

but with paul as manager, it would be on itunes in poor quality, and would cost $20+ for each show

why? Since when does U2 do what everyone else does?
Dude, U2 are NOT radiohead, nor coldplay nor the Verve... they're U2
they'll do their own thing, and I highly doubt they'll go with the flow...

Actually, Radiohead/Coldplay DIDN'T go with the flow, U2 always seems to go with the flow. (Regular CD/iTunes releases, nothing out of the ordinary)

U2="doing their own thing"=What most normal bands do=Nothing groundbreaking special as far as "retail" goes

Just wait for the actual release. HTDAAB was ages ago, especially in the online world. What were other artists doing in 04? The fact that they branded their own ipod and got coverage through those omnipresent itunes vertigo commercial was hugely innovative at the time - a real first, regardless of your opinion on it. From a marketing standpoint, it was brilliant.

Let's not make assumptions based on a five year-old marketing plan.

for the new u2 album they need to take a look at how other bands are releasing music these days.
Obviously everyone knows what Radiohead did with "In Rainbows" but since then fans were able to download 2 new coldplay tracks before the album was released, coldplay also gave away another b-side on 7 inch free with NME.

Today the Verve gave away a free song on their website which will not be on their new album.

So hopefully u2 will come up with something for us rather than release music in the way they have before.

If U2 moved with the times they would have never created Achtung Baby or Joshua Tree thats for sure.

But I belived they should take the route Coldplay, Verve and Radiohead are taking...

I really apperciated it when Coldplay gave us a taste of Viva La Vida with a free Violet Hill download, just to get the fans excited...

I would be pleased with a free single from U2, but I'm not sure thats gunna happen

THIS THREAD TITLE IS VERY ANGRY!!! GRRRR!!! LOUD NOISES!!!

793356948a794646670b403666993m.jpg

"I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!"

I agree, I still love buying a CD. If the only way to get a new U2 album was through download, I'd do it, of course...but I'd rather have the CD.

With the Radiohead discussion in this thread, I'll add that I didn't listen to In Rainbows until I was able to buy it on CD. However...while I obviously like Radiohead, U2 are tops for me...so if U2 went that route, I'm not sure if I'd wait it out for a CD release or not. :hmm: If I did get the digital release, I'd still buy the CD once it came out though.

:yes: I waited for the In Rainbows Cd...

Actually, Radiohead/Coldplay DIDN'T go with the flow, U2 always seems to go with the flow. (Regular CD/iTunes releases, nothing out of the ordinary)

U2="doing their own thing"=What most normal bands do=Nothing groundbreaking special as far as "retail" goes

Nothing groundbreaking? The first special edition Ipod, and I think the first Complete collection released on iTunes? JT was either the first or one of the first albums that saw a simultaneous CD release with the Vinyl and Cassette versions. Although CD releases were being done before that they lagged behind the traditional releases. First major artist to do an iTunes commercial.
On the last two releases they did promotion as if they were a new act rather than the standard big artist marketing scenerio. I don't think we'ver ever seen U2 just go with the flow.

Dana

Nothin' wrong with the ol' way. I like to buy my music where I can see people and I can see light, not stuck in front of a computer all day like I'm Bill Gates or someone.

yeah I prefer CD releases as well. I like to have a hard copy of it rather than downloaded - but they'll probably do both.

Back
Top Bottom