U2 LP13 Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LiveNation is the new mgmt, correct? I mean, that's who Guy operates through...

(I remember that from when Paul 'retired' -- McGuinness Out as U2 Manager; Live Nation Reportedly Buying Principle Management)

So whoever is doing the branding (Google, Beats, Apple?) is probably working with LN. :hmm:

Personally all I need is 30 sec of the new song with an album release date and the single available for download. :up: :heart:

"Invisible" as in no single, no album, no music, nothing, nada?

See nothing hear nothing know nothing

:panic::panic::panic::panic::panic::panic::panic::panic::panic::panic::panic:

when you're the sole mole, no one pays you any attention. you're... Invisible..

also, I'd like to take a moment to acknowledge how fantastic the panic smiley is.

:panic:

search U2BR on youtube.. and you should see some clips.. unless they've been taken down.

quality is horrid. be warned.

Found it, thank you! Yeah, it sounds pretty bad, but I really like what sounds like a falsetto laid over a deeper voice repeating the same couple of words.

tumblr_md1rnigM0w1r2q56co1_250.gif

This one is also good. However, we won't need it. Every little thing will be alright.
80.jpg

As I said last night, seems like they were cutting to Bono/Edge frequently for reaction shots, even before the Poehler but. Like, suspiciously often.
I was sitting in an airport reading my Twitter feed and a number of people pointed out that they were showing Bono a lot.

I wonder if they're going to do something like make the new album exclusive to streaming on Beats Music for a while before making it available for sale in stores. Although Super Bowl through June would be a crazy long amount of time for that to happen.

I wonder if they're going to do something like make the new album exclusive to streaming on Beats Music for a while before making it available for sale in stores. Although Super Bowl through June would be a crazy long amount of time for that to happen.

I had that thought too.. a 2 week exclusive stream or something..

it'll probably just be Invisible though.. not the album

I also wonder if they're surprise half-time guests..

Bruno, RHCP, and then The Bonos?

If anything, the single will be the 'exclusive digital content'. I doubt they'd do an entire album release digitally first. They are NOT Beyonce. Thank god.

And I very seriously doubt they'll be anywhere near the Super Bowl. It's in NY this year (as opposed to it being at a warm climate or venue with a dome/roof) and they already have two big-name acts. The halftime show just isnt long enough to fit it all in. It's a nice thought, but odds are slim.

I'm thinking we might get another 'week-long' engagement a-la Letterman. Jimmy Fallon takes over the Tonight Show on Feb 17th. What better way for him to kick off his reign there than by having the best band ever on for a solid week as they release a brand new album? :hmm:

LiveNation as the partnership? Where's that from as the rumor?

Signs are pointing to Beats Music as the partnership for the ad/charity thing/announcement, and that is a streaming service.

https://beatsmusic.com/?utm_term=&u...rce=facebook-share&utm_campaign=claimyourname

Not that you could pay me to wade back through the thread to find the tidbits that led to that conclusion.

Thanks for posting this link to Beats Music info.

I’ve paged through these posts and anything still seems possible to me.

A Super Bowl ad that features a new U2 song available on Beats Music could indeed mean a longer wait to a new album.

What, pray tell, if the Super Bowl ad is actually more about promoting Beats Music and the Red charity? Invisible is the band’s contribution to both the Red charity and the Beats Music launch and it buys U2 more time to complete the album.

I have no sources, and I’d prefer an album and tour sooner too, but....

PS – I am now going to start “curating” my playlists, instead of just “making” them.

LiveNation as the partnership? Where's that from as the rumor?

Signs are pointing to Beats Music as the partnership for the ad/charity thing/announcement, and that is a streaming service.

https://beatsmusic.com/?utm_term=&u...rce=facebook-share&utm_campaign=claimyourname

Not that you could pay me to wade back through the thread to find the tidbits that led to that conclusion.

There's an article out there talking about the partnership between Dr. Dre, Jimmy Iovine and Trent Reznor to bring about Beats Music as a new online streaming service. They'll be doing a Super Bowl spot.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/12/arts/music/beats-music-enters-online-streaming-market.html?_r=0

In that article, a unseen email from Bono was quoted about how the idea's great, the future, don't bet against Jimmy, etc..

The Bono quote is way out of context for the article.. Nowhere is his or U2's involvement mentioned at all, yet they pick out a Bono quote to insert out of nowhere. I'm just assuming it's because there's a partnership brewing that they weren't allowed to talk about, but had Bono's input to quote anyhow, without spelling it out.

U2 discuss their personal relationship with Nelson Mandela at the Golden Globes - YouTube

The impression I get from this short piece of Edge talking about the album is that the band is really hesitant to give any piece of concrete information. I don't buy the "we're getting back to it now" thing for one second. Ordinary Love was finished in late summer/early all 2013 and we've had reports of overnight studio sessions in NY and Dublin plus numerous quotes from band members including Larry who said that "they have an album to finish". From this Edge quote it seems as if they haven't worked on the album since fall which is bull****. I think they are very careful not to give anything away by being so tentative. I still think there's something in the works and we have an album coming rather sooner than later. I don't believe for a moment that the making or Ordinary Love took them half a year, especially considering that the movie has been out since fall.

Besides that, taking 5 years for an album, side projects or not, is ridiculous, U2, really WTF :angry:

It is almost like they are deliberately trying to put people off the idea of a earlier release date, feb 2nd can't come quick enough.

Nothing really new here, just a summary, but media is starting to report the "June" thing

Bono Teases New U2 Album Release Date, New Single ‘Invisible’ � Radio.com News

If the album was set for a June release why would the article state this:

"The frontman also revealed that the band’s next single, “Invisible,” will be out in the coming weeks."

“Invisible” will serve as the first single off U2′s still-untitled new album, which is being produced by Danger Mouse. According to the L.A. Times back in December, “Invisible” is “an anthemic number about leaving one’s hometown.”

There is no way a single will be released 5 months before the album release date. I still say the album will be out much sooner than June.

The only way an ad at the super bowl makes sense is if you can download it from a mobile device right then and there.

I'm fairly certain everyone in the U2 camp knows this, and I KNOW that Guy Oseary knows this.

Sent from my android cause iphones are for old people

The fact that U2.com actually had a bit of news has me positive. I like the new Guy(heh), so I expect he has a LOT more knowledge of the digital era than previous U2.com people.

I think the album will probably be out in June.
They will release a song every 4-6 weeks leading up to the album.
The individual downloads will help these singles to do well in the charts and as a result on the radio, the album (when released) has received plenty of publicity and the audience will know the new songs when the tour starts.

The concept of 'the album' is more or less outdated anyways.

I think the album will probably be out in June.
They will release a song every 4-6 weeks leading up to the album.
The individual downloads will help these singles to do well in the charts and as a result on the radio, the album (when released) has received plenty of publicity and the audience will know the new songs when the tour starts.

The concept of 'the album' is more or less outdated anyways.

Has this been done before by any other artist?

If the album was set for a June release why would the article state this:

"The frontman also revealed that the band’s next single, “Invisible,” will be out in the coming weeks."

“Invisible” will serve as the first single off U2′s still-untitled new album, which is being produced by Danger Mouse. According to the L.A. Times back in December, “Invisible” is “an anthemic number about leaving one’s hometown.”

There is no way a single will be released 5 months before the album release date. I still say the album will be out much sooner than June.

Coldplay released a song in the summer of 2011, but the album did not come until November. So it is possible the band will try that track.

Has this been done before by any other artist?

Coldplay's last album. I would not take the comments about an album being released in March or April or June to seriously. Until you see a month and day for the release, like April 29, 2014, I'd take the info with a grain of salt. Once we get a month and a day, then it is on!

I wouldn't mind if they did this, at least we'll get a new U2 song every couple of weeks and the tension will be building up until the actual album is released.

A Super Bowl ad that features a new U2 song available on Beats Music could indeed mean a longer wait to a new album.

What, pray tell, if the Super Bowl ad is actually more about promoting Beats Music and the Red charity? Invisible is the band’s contribution to both the Red charity and the Beats Music launch and it buys U2 more time to complete the album.

I have no sources, and I’d prefer an album and tour sooner too, but....

Occam's Razor supports your hypothesis :wink: In June, Bono will be getting fat in Saint-Tropez, and we'll regroup here for another confab, trying to convince ourselves the band will drop the album in July :D

Did Bieber not do something like that with multiple singles? I did think about that as a potential strategy though

The big problem with having an album available exclusively on a streaming service for a period is that it will inevitably end up available to all after being ripped within the first hour and posted all over the place.

A new album being available immediately would be the current fashionable thing to do but it's very un-U2 and as much as new management may be trying to get them to try new stuff, they might see it as too much of a risk or a small deal for something they've been working on for so long.

That said, I still think they should try that approach as the industry has changed so much year to year and although they were one of the few bands with foresight to realise the possibilities and potential for being able to distribute new music in totally new ways (talking about it back in the early 90s and I think I'm right in saying they made sure their contracts covered all sorts of possibilities), they've done zero to actually embrace any of it beyond talking about it.

With a new record deal and an even cosier relationship with Live Nation, I suppose they could look at the market as it is (people cherry picking single songs – in a way that know annoys artists) and try a blend of what a couple of others have done: They could release maybe 3 singles before the album, giving each its own time and space to get attention and sell, and not be the only things that sell, and then similar to the Jay Z/Samsung deal they could launch the album alongside the tour, with everyone getting it bundled in with their ticket. It would count as a pre-sale between Universal and Live Nation, as much as however-many-it-was Jay Z albums counted in terms of revenue and sales (for charts), so they’d get every North America + Europe ticket buyer counting alongside all other album sales, whether they like it or not (and double sales to a great number of people – bonus!) Not sure if the timing would work, but I guess the idea could.

What's interesting is that when all that hangar hijinx was going on someone who was there reported that about FOUR new songs were played. One apparently was in the style of Vertigo/Dancing Barefoot.
Then again, they did also report the album was coming in March...

I can't hear anything at all, I have a giant cockroach stuck in my ear so im blind. I meant to say deaf, in one ear. The other ear I filled with seamen cement because I wanted to try and trap the damn cockroach if he/she decided to crawl through. Now that ive gone and done that, I have a really bad inner ear infection and a case of vertigo. I tried to slit my wrists to make it all end, but they took away my eating utensils at the funny farm. All I have now is lots and lots of pills. Pills that make me goofy, pills that make me fly, pills that make me count all the blue cars, and pills that give me shits and fits or rage and tossing daisies up and down the mountains.

If it weren't for interference I don't know what I would do with my self. I repeat...no no no...I don't know a thing. Despite all of my rage im still just one supervised bath away from slipping down the drain of life and floating home with the bubbles and the rubber duck.

And yet we still know nothing.

4/10

(2 points deducted for meta Interference reference).

I think I'd trust people who were there over some drunk Bono saying things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom