U2 LP13 Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
gatling_gun.gif

If they are staking it all on Invisible, and the response to the song is tepid, that could be very bad news for the album. They could well decide to start over. Their confidence in the new material seems incredibly fragile, in all my years as a fan I can't recall them being this hesitant and uncertain. In the past, when they've taken a knock, they managed to ante up again and return with a formidable confidence (The Fly, Beautiful Day). Invisible could either ease their fears or send them tumbling down a crevice of further self-doubt.

Dear god, just stop it. Come back in a few months and tell us all I told you so if you need to but this-- are you doing this to yourself or to us? Is this sadism or someone with a cutting problem?

The biggest reason I'm dubious of a June album release is the fact that much has be written about how long promo periods are not working as well as they used to. And if the new management is as savvy as we hope they are, a shorter more targeted promo seems to be most effective in the current market.

One apparently was in the style of Vertigo/Dancing Barefoot.

Ah, yes. Because if there were two U2 tracks with the same styles, it's those two!

Has anyone seen HBO Films' movie about the early days of the AIDS epidemic, And The Band Played On? If you haven't, it's excellent and you should check it out.

The book was excellent.

4. Invisible is the first single from the new album.

Think but don't know? Has anyone from the band specifically stated this is from the album?

Wasn't there a magazine article where the writer is with U2 and they're listening to tracks from the album, and Invisible is mentioned? Granted, it was not a quote from Bono, but it's something.

There's a REASON they have LiveNation behind them and Guy Oseary as their new manager. He seems (to me) to be very current with the trends and the timing. I seriously doubt he would go for a 6 month long promo period.

Not that I am in any way condoning this...but let's not forget that Beyonce dropped an ENTIRE ALBUM OVERNIGHT. And it was a HUGE success. I loathe Beyonce, I think she is talentless scum, but that doesn't mean that she didn't have something going there.

You honestly think a huge band like U2 isn't going to have looked at that and said "We can do better than that."???? Especially with Guy on board instead of Paul.

If Feb 2nd comes and goes without a release date, then be negative. In the meantime, enjoy the fucking GG win, hope for an Oscar nomination, and get ready for the Super Bowl. All this squabbling and bitching is energy wasted. I know you lot are used to being leaked info months in advance. God, the leak puns on NLOTH alone were enough for a LIFETIME. I actually kind of appreciate the fact that they are keeping a lid on things for once. It'll make it more special when we actually GET the album, you know? We don't have many of these left. They're not 20 anymore and this is not Joshua Tree, no matter how much we may want it to be.

If you truly love this band, then appreciate every last minute we have with them. Or get the fuck out.

There's a REASON they have LiveNation behind them and Guy Oseary as their new manager. He seems (to me) to be very current with the trends and the timing. I seriously doubt he would go for a 6 month long promo period.

Not that I am in any way condoning this...but let's not forget that Beyonce dropped an ENTIRE ALBUM OVERNIGHT. And it was a HUGE success. I loathe Beyonce, I think she is talentless scum, but that doesn't mean that she didn't have something going there.

You honestly think a huge band like U2 isn't going to have looked at that and said "We can do better than that."???? Especially with Guy on board instead of Paul.

If Feb 2nd comes and goes without a release date, then be negative. In the meantime, enjoy the fucking GG win, hope for an Oscar nomination, and get ready for the Super Bowl. All this squabbling and bitching is energy wasted. I know you lot are used to being leaked info months in advance. God, the leak puns on NLOTH alone were enough for a LIFETIME. I actually kind of appreciate the fact that they are keeping a lid on things for once. It'll make it more special when we actually GET the album, you know? We don't have many of these left. They're not 20 anymore and this is not Joshua Tree, no matter how much we may want it to be.

If you truly love this band, then appreciate every last minute we have with them. Or get the fuck out.

Get thee back to BAGEL

Sent from my android cause iphones are for old people

At least in PLEBA it's a positive environment. The band would be ashamed at all of you. Hell, if they were to see this thread, they probably WOULD scrap the whole damn thing.

They don't need to do another album or tour ever again. They can retire and be with their wives, kids, and someday, grandkids.

Meanwhile, they DO continue to do this. Because they love it and they love the fanbase that actually appreciates them. I, for one, think that is not something to scoff at. Judge away, please. I'll be supporting MY band no matter what.

*dons Mrs Clayton hat and goes back to the caring part of the fanbase*

Well, that escalated quickly.

They'd be ashamed that we're speculating about what's going on? They'd scrap the album? What?

At least in PLEBA it's a positive environment. The band would be ashamed at all of you. Hell, if they were to see this thread, they probably WOULD scrap the whole damn thing.

They don't need to do another album or tour ever again. They can retire and be with their wives, kids, and someday, grandkids.

Meanwhile, they DO continue to do this. Because they love it and they love the fanbase that actually appreciates them. I, for one, think that is not something to scoff at. Judge away, please. I'll be supporting MY band no matter what.

*dons Mrs Clayton hat and goes back to the caring part of the fanbase*

Eeek. We as fans will dissect things to death, that's what we do. Trust me it's universal, and many other band forums are worse.

Also, I may not be the biggest Beyonce fan, but calling someone "talentless scum" is a bit much.

I think it's very well possible that Ordinary Love existed in some form before the band was approached for the Mandela soundtrack, it may contain recycled bits of other songs that have never seen the light of day. BUT I still believe that Bono wrote the lyrics for Mandela, simply because they aren't "in your face" type of lyrics. He just said recently that he wanted to write something that had nothing political in it because it didn't fit or would be too complex. Bono's songwriting has always been more metaphoric than direct and it's also that way with the Ordinary Love lyrics. I like them and think they are much better that way than they would be if Bono had decided to sing about Mandela directly. One strength of U2's songs is that most of their lyrics are open to various kinds of interpretation, they don't give you one definite meaning but have instead different layers of meaning.

There's a REASON they have LiveNation behind them and Guy Oseary as their new manager. He seems (to me) to be very current with the trends and the timing.

Yeah! And I'm sure he's real plugged into what the kids are listening to! (Madonna told him).

I loathe Beyonce, I think she is talentless scum

WTF?

That's the U2 spirit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom