U2 every CD rated and reviewed.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wizard2c

Refugee
Hi!

April edition of Blender mag rates U2 cds......a brief summary.....let me know if anyone wants the actual review of any specific one and I will quote from the magazine.

The Joshua Tree *****
Achtung Baby *****
All That You Can't Leave Behind *****
War ****
The Best of 1980-1990 & B-sides ****
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb ****
Boy ***
The Unforgettable Fire ***
Rattle and Hum ***
The Best of 1990-2000 ***
October **
Under A Blood Red Sky **
Zooropa **
Pop **
Wide Awake In America *
Melon: Remixes for Propaganda *
Passengers Original Soundtracks! *
Hasta La Vista, Baby!: Live from Mexico City *
The Edge Captive: Soundtrack ***
Zoo TV: Live from Sydney ****
U2 Go Home: Live from Slane Castle ****

---------------
Ratings = Essential *****
Great ****
Good ***
Be Careful **
For Fans Only *

Comments are welcome.

carol
wizard2c
:|

Be careful with Zooropa and POP... both albums are too much for sissies and easy consumers ears as Blender Magazine :lol:

This is another example of cheap Magazine reviews, I mean, rating ATYCLB as a masterpiece, and Pop and Zooropa as s**t. So predictable :eyebrow:

Peace :wave:

Yeah, they also under-rated UF in my view.

At least they got it right about ZooTV Live from Sydney - although I'd probably give it the full 5 stars.

Re: Re: U2 every CD rated and reviewed.....

ponkine said:
Be careful with Zooropa and POP... both albums are too much for sissies and easy consumers ears as Blender Magazine :lol:

This is another example of cheap Magazine reviews, I mean, rating ATYCLB as a masterpiece, and Pop and Zooropa as s**t. So predictable :eyebrow:

Peace :wave:

Hi!

Okay to quote from mag,:

"Zooropa...Was the 157-date Zoo TV tour not enough like hard work? Why not record a new album during the final leg? And while we're at it, let's get the Edge to rap some kind of alienated shopping list over a techno song, call it "Numb," and release it as a single! Hey, where'd everybody go?
Download: "The Wanderer"

"Pop...Drunk on experimentation, U2 run out of time (backing vocals to "Staring at the Sun" were recorded in the mastering suite) and burden themselves with a disco album about the death of God. Party on! The hackneyed rave touches are regrettable-dad, why'd you take my Ecstasy?--but the more somber tunes hve aged well.
Download: "Staring at the Sun"

carol
wizard2c

PS: I got the mag at the airport waiting for my plane to come in...so it gave me something to read.

Hi!

"U2....Four earnest lads who came from Dublin, Ireland, with a small dream: world conquest! by Tony Power

------------------------

That sounds right on....world conquest :rockon:

carol
wizard2c

Any magazine that would give ATYCLB five stars and Pop, Zooropa, Under A Blood Red Sky and October only two isn't even good enough to line the bird cage with.

Bono's shades said:
Any magazine that would give ATYCLB five stars and Pop, Zooropa, Under A Blood Red Sky and October only two isn't even good enough to line the bird cage with.
i agree. what's with the one star rating for wide awake in america? because it's so short? it was sold as an ep back when that meant something. now it's a bit overpriced since it's considered a cd like everything else, but still.

Where are CDs of Zoo TV and Slane Castle?

Do these things even exist? I have never seen/heard of them. If they do exist, I really, really want to buy them. Right now.

-Miggy

Miggy D said:
Where are CDs of Zoo TV and Slane Castle?

Do these things even exist? I have never seen/heard of them. If they do exist, I really, really want to buy them. Right now.

-Miggy

they dont exist, they mean their videos

which makes me wonder why they failed to review the popmart video...

they review hasta la vista baby, but thats not the same thing

eh its all crap anyway

I piss on that. ATYCLB isn't essential album.
After solid/exceptional 6-7 songs comes Peace on Earth, When i look at the world and Grace. Some would say Wld honey too, i wouldn't

D'oh! said:
Can you please quote the review for ATYCLB and October....

Hi!

ATYCLB..Given the failure of Pop (the last of their dance trilogy), the global hegemony of hip-hop, and a health crisis that threatened Bono's voice and then his life, the omens couldn't have been worse. But U2's tenth studio album restored their relevance with a modern respraying of their sound. "Beautiful Day" is an old-school, chest-beating rocker, "Stuck in a Moment" is a pop-soul radio smooch featuring Bono as Dusty Springfield. The sound of four men pretending they never made Zooropa.
Download: "Stuck in a Moment," "Kite"

---------------

October...The closest they came to splitting--Clayton's casual-sex-and-reefer lifestyle annoyed his abstemious mates--and a musical misstep, where foggy atmospherics strive to conceal pallid performances: Bono had lost his lyrics notebook on tour.
Download: "Gloria," "Scarlet"

--------------

carol
wizard2c

Re: reply

wizard2c said:

October...The closest they came to splitting--

--------------

carol
wizard2c

What about Achtung, Baby? They shouldn't let people ignorant of U2's history write reviews. :eyebrow:

-Miggy

I disagree with most of those ratings (and, as most know, I'm not a big JT fan... that said, I realize it would be "essential" for a new U2 fan to hear) and would change them tremendously.

Of course, all this proves is - yet again - music critic is the single most useless profession in existence. This is followed by sports writer and then movie critic. At least a sports writer tells you the score and a movie critic gives a summary of a film. Music critic = worthless. Be ashamed if you are one. :yes:

Worst reviews ever. They don't even reccomend the HALF-DECENT TRACKS! As if to cover up tracks they KNOW are the gems that they just can't bring themselves to like but know others will! Disgraceful!

Of the cds I have I would pretty much agree. I'd knock a star off of Rattle & Hum though.

ATYCLB isn't a 5-star album.

UF deserves at least four stars (my second favorite).

Zooropa and Pop need one or two more stars.

Other than that, it's a decent ranking. Not without flaws certainly, but decent.

XHendrix24 said:
ATYCLB isn't a 5-star album.

UF deserves at least four stars (my second favorite).

Zooropa and Pop need one or two more stars.

Other than that, it's a decent ranking. Not without flaws certainly, but decent.

Yeah, I definatley agree. So let's agree with the Q magazine version (from January 2004) :

5 stars - JT, AB, Best of 1980-1990 (Classic Compliation)
4 stars - UF, ATYCLB, War
3 stars - Zooropa, Boy, Pop, October, UABRS
2 stars - Passengers, R&H, WAIA, The Million Dollar Hotel (soudtrack)

I would say Blender is a fairly new mainstream orientated US music magazine similar to Q and Rolling Stone. It is available in some UK newsagents and it is indeed produced by the people who bring us those wonderful pictures of scantily clad women in the pages of the men's fashion magazine Maxim.

Getting back to the subject of rating U2's albums do you agree with the reviewer in Blender or Q?

Last edited:
5 stars - Achtung, Joshua
4 stars - Pop, Zooropa, War, Boy, HUT DAB
3 stars - Unforgettable fire, best of 80-90, ATYCLB
2 stars - October, best of 90', Rattle and Hum
1 star - /

I don't count soundtracks, red rocks and wide awake

5 stars - the one and only, Achtung Baby
4 stars - Joshua Tree(would have been 5 if there was no Trip Through Your Wires and Exit wasn't so fucked up production-wise), The Bomb, Pop, The Unforgettable Fire, Zooropa
3 stars - War, October, Boy
2 stars - All That You Can't Leave Behind, Rattle and Hum

Back
Top Bottom