U2 defining moments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smudger90

Babyface
Just thinking back to times when u2 had some defining moments/exciting periods in thier career such as the war period to the unforgettable fire-the release of achtung baby with an amazing new sound and look, the release of zooropa while still in the middle of a world tour and i'm sure you can think of many others.
But my point is that it think the period u2 are in now is just as exciting, the tour being extended, the possibility of a new album with a new direction....lets enjoy it ..

smudger90 said:
Just thinking back to times when u2 had some defining moments/exciting periods in thier career such as the war period to the unforgettable fire-the release of achtung baby with an amazing new sound and look, the release of zooropa while still in the middle of a world tour and i'm sure you can think of many others.
But my point is that it think the period u2 are in now is just as exciting, the tour being extended, the possibility of a new album with a new direction....lets enjoy it ..

"Defining", to me, has a specific meaning - something that well...defines the band and what they are about or is a major milestone in the band's career. I'm just not sure if the HTDAAB era qualifies.

The release of "Beautiful Day" and subsequent popular acceptance likely qualifies as they had been away for quite some time after POP and as I recall, a number of journalists (and casual fans) were pretty much ready to close the book on them.

For this era, maybe the use of technology (IPOD tie-in) that got them to an even wider audience is a defining moment? I dunno. Or Bono's activism, since it's taken an even greater center stage than in the past (I mean, they're on '60 minutes' in the US, a widely watched and respected program, where Bono gets to campaign again).

Whatever it is, I'm certainly enjoying it though! :happy:

one moment live aid '85 , dancing with the girl. It brought u2 to the masses, big time...

Last edited:
and joshua tree. too many people seem to look over that album and what it meant for the band

matt76 said:
one moment live aid '85 , dancing with the girl. It brought u2 to the masses, big time...

Absolutely. Before that they were just another post-punk band with a couple of minor hits.

1 First Boston show on Boy tour
2 Live Aid
3 Joshua Tree
4 One
5 ATYCLB

Under a Blood Red Sky
Live Aid
The release of The Joshua Tree
The Fly video
2002 Superbowl Halftime Special

Appearing at a K-Mart to announce the Pop-Mart Tour.

The Sarajevo link-up during the ZooTV tour that kind of went bad.

Interesting topic. I think the "defining moments" are New Year's Day being a top 10 hit in the UK as WAR entered the same chart at number 1, Live Aid performance, the release of THE JOSHUA TREE, the release of The Fly and ACHTUNG BABY, and the Beautiful Day single.

Those were are huge steps forward for the group; I don't think I need to explain why. But I think the whole Achtung Baby album was and remains the pivotal crux on the entire U2 career. With that incredible album and its entire aesthetic, they achieved something rarely if ever achieved by a rock band 1.5 decades into existence -- they produced a masterwork the equal of anything anybody's ever done, and completely rewrote the rules for what BIG groups can achieve in creativity and durability (and cultural relevance). Dylan sort of did this with Blood On The Tracks and the Rolling Thunder tour, but it's not the same. He was still trapped by his past, whereas U2 completely liberated themselves from it and picked up a new generational audience.

the refugee
rattle and hum
adam's missed show on zootv
first night of popmart
vertigo ticket fiasco

:wink: actually the defining thing of U2 probably has to do with how hard it was to come up with 5 bad things :ohmy:

1) War album/tour
2) Live Aid
3) JT album/tour
4) AB/Zoo TV tour
5) Beautiful day/Elevation

Back
Top Bottom