"U2 confirm 2013 album"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
morgan1098 said:
To me this points toward a Rattle and Hum reissue, since that album was spawned by The Joshua Tree Tour. I could easily see them incorporating that winged logo into the deluxe R&H artwork somewhere.

This sounds very plausible.

To me this points toward a Rattle and Hum reissue, since that album was spawned by The Joshua Tree Tour. I could easily see them incorporating that winged logo into the deluxe R&H artwork somewhere.

That makes sense, and would be a great Christmastime release. Maybe they're considering it.

"You glorify the past when the future dries up" -- Bono, 1988

How appropriate.

And why would they release a R&H remaster on the 24th anniversary instead of the 25th?

Because it's not hard science. You have a full year of 2013 to celebrate the 1988-2013-25 long years-anniversary if it is released at the end of 2012 or the beginning of 2013.

What is the "winged-JT" logo you are talking about? Is there a picture or something?

Google is your friend. :wink:

1tuhk6.png

Google is your friend. :wink:

1tuhk6.png

That pic shows that that symbol is already trademarked. :hmm:

Could the story then be in error that that is the thing that was recently trademarked? Or maybe you have to renew them every so often?

(Or maybe you have to do it separately in different countries? :shrug: I don't know, just wondering...)

bonocomet said:
That pic shows that that symbol is already trademarked. :hmm:

Could the story then be in error that that is the thing that was recently trademarked? Or maybe you have to renew them every so often?

(Or maybe you have to do it separately in different countries? :shrug: I don't know, just wondering...)

Anyone can use a trademark (or TM), I think. They are probably finally registering it, so they can use a circle-R and have better legal protection.

I thought it's the other way around. Anyone can use a copyright but a trademark must be registered as such.

As soon as you create something it's actually already copyrighted to you I think.

I think copyright and trademark are a little different, at least legally. Not really sure how. Its a little confusing, but I know for my job, we have to already be using a TM on logos, tag lines, etc., to prove our intent before we can even apply for a circle-R. Circle R is a registered trademark, more legal protection than a TM.

I think you're right about copyright also applying to a work as soon as it is completed. I think copyright applies to creative work- films, books, art, photography- but trademark is more of a business thing- logos, advertising slogans, etc. But I'm certainly no expert- its all very complicated. I could be way off base. All I do know for sure is that circle R offers more legal protection than TM, but it requires official registration, so it's harder to get.

I wouldn't draw too many conclusions from their renewing the trademark on this thing; it's been almost 25 years since JT, and since many trademarks expire after 25 years, this is likely just a routine renewal. McG & Co. protect the bands intellectual property.

I'd love for it to mean that a R&H reissue is imminent, but I'm not holding my breath.

Because it's not hard science. You have a full year of 2013 to celebrate the 1988-2013-25 long years-anniversary if it is released at the end of 2012 or the beginning of 2013.

What is the "winged-JT" logo you are talking about? Is there a picture or something?

Well. UF remaster and NLOTH came out in 2009.

Perhaps the new album and Rattle remaster will be out in 2013.

Perhaps it's a 5-year-anniversary-special-edition of the 20-year-anniversary-special-edition of The Joshua Tree.

I wouldn't draw too many conclusions from their renewing the trademark on this thing; it's been almost 25 years since JT, and since many trademarks expire after 25 years, this is likely just a routine renewal. McG & Co. protect the bands intellectual property.

I'd love for it to mean that a R&H reissue is imminent, but I'm not holding my breath.

This makes the most sense, but it won't stop the hive from jumping to conclusions and speculating endlessly. Don't dare speak contrary! Otherwise, you're a troll!

Well. UF remaster and NLOTH came out in 2009.

Perhaps the new album and Rattle remaster will be out in 2013.

They'll space it out. They won't do a new album and a remaster in the same year. They want to spread those sales out. Bono needs another yacht!

I would actually be surprised if there wasn't some kind of release this fall. Whether its a best-of or remaster or even a live blu-ray. When was the last time there wasn't some kind of release for the holiday season? Lol

2008: Boy, October, and War remaster
2009: unforgettable fire remaster
2010: U2 360 DVD, wide awake in Europe

digitize said:
Boy, October, and War remasters came out in 2008. TUF's remaster came out in 2009. Wide Awake in Europe was 2010, if it counts. All of these were more or less holiday season releases.

my point exactly lol!

Back
Top Bottom