"U2 confirm 2013 album"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Would it have something to do with this mysterious app that may or may not have anything to do with a mysterious album?

Maybe a website refresh? It's possible that they are just moving away from the 360 branding.

Also, has anyone given thought to the possibility of the best of 2000-2010 coming out this year to bridge the gap to the new album? If the Mercury announcement is correct about last year, perhaps they want to start building some hype late this year by reminding people that they loved Vertigo?

Also, they could push out some leftovers that are not being considered for the new album? We know there is a fully recorded version of north Star (Transformers), Every breaking Wave was compleed for NLOTH and deserves a full release, Mercy is still floating around, BFFTS could get a gig too...

Thoughts?

Maybe a website refresh? It's possible that they are just moving away from the 360 branding.

Also, has anyone given thought to the possibility of the best of 2000-2010 coming out this year to bridge the gap to the new album? If the Mercury announcement is correct about last year, perhaps they want to start building some hype late this year by reminding people that they loved Vertigo?

Also, they could push out some leftovers that are not being considered for the new album? We know there is a fully recorded version of north Star (Transformers), Every breaking Wave was compleed for NLOTH and deserves a full release, Mercy is still floating around, BFFTS could get a gig too...

Thoughts?

It wouldn't be a bad way of putting out those sorts of songs (including Winter, etc.), which would allow any album of new material to consist of songs we haven't heard before. Yet again, I'm not sure if the band needs another greatest hits compilation after 18 Singles, but whatever works for them I guess.

I was wondering if the band can even claim the 2000-2010 brand after leaving Island Records awhile ago, but I guess they could keep it since they're still under the Universal label anyway.

Thoughts?
yeah but haven't the website refreshes coincided with the next album's news/somewhat imminent arrival?

I would rather not have another Best-Of, but it would be tolerable if it had a lot of unreleased material, even though it would be an obvious distraction from the lack of a new album. As for the patented logo, I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but when I think of what it could be for, my mind keeps going back to a new album/tour.

Why does everyone run in fear at the talk of 'best-of's'? Seriously, they will put a couple of unreleased tracks on them and if you don't like them, don't buy them.

It seems ludicrous to me that they would release a 1980-1990, a 1990-2000 and not a 2000-2010.... THAT as much as anything else would be an admission of irrelevance and a decline in standards over the last 10 years.

The new logo could also be to do with a best-of. Nothing wrong with it, as long as a new album is coming next year. i'd rather get a best of with a couple of new songs now than wait 18 months to get anything

But weren't the 80s and 90s best ofs part of their contract with Mercury or whoever it was? Wasn't U218 the fulfilment of that contract? Then they got out? I don't think we'll see an 00s best of.

Why does everyone run in fear at the talk of 'best-of's'? Seriously, they will put a couple of unreleased tracks on them and if you don't like them, don't buy them.

It seems ludicrous to me that they would release a 1980-1990, a 1990-2000 and not a 2000-2010.... THAT as much as anything else would be an admission of irrelevance and a decline in standards over the last 10 years.

The new logo could also be to do with a best-of. Nothing wrong with it, as long as a new album is coming next year. i'd rather get a best of with a couple of new songs now than wait 18 months to get anything

Since POP they've released 3 albums and 3 Best-Ofs, and a whole bunch of re-issues. It seems like they are more focused on the past when they keep doing this.

In regard to a new best-of, i'm not against it. I think it'll close the chapter on 2000-2010, and yield us a few new songs. I've said that all along.

But in terms of the new logo. They've used Arial font for both 80-90, 90-00. They've re-used old icons/pictures for both those discs. Would they really need to go to the patent office again to use Arial U2 + say, the heart in a suitcase? I'm doubting that.

In regard to a new best-of, i'm not against it. I think it'll close the chapter on 2000-2010, and yield us a few new songs. I've said that all along.

But in terms of the new logo. They've used Arial font for both 80-90, 90-00. They've re-used old icons/pictures for both those discs. Would they really need to go to the patent office again to use Arial U2 + say, the heart in a suitcase? I'm doubting that.

Good point.

Haven't we already been over this? The last collection also spanned an era which gave us Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Passengers, Pop, and a big singles like Hold Me Thrill Me. Plus, their biggest hit of the decade, Beautiful Day, was idiotically already placed on the LAST Best Of, along with another big one, Stuck.

So what you're left with for 2000-2010 is Walk On, Elevation, Vertigo, Sometimes, All Because of You, and then I'm guessing Kite and COBL get thrown on there as well.

Then what? Boots? Moment of Surrender? Magnificent? More songs that the public didn't give a fuck about when they came out the first time?

The thing will sell pretty poorly by comparison and isn't worth it.

I think they would do another best of. Yes they finished the contract that forced them to, but I think they see it as a good medium for releasing songs that are too good to leave behind, but don't fit a new direction.

I also think they don't mind the cash. But neither would I.

Haven't we already been over this? The last collection also spanned an era which gave us Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Passengers, Pop, and a big singles like Hold Me Thrill Me. Plus, their biggest hit of the decade, Beautiful Day, was idiotically already placed on the LAST Best Of, along with another big one, Stuck.

So what you're left with for 2000-2010 is Walk On, Elevation, Vertigo, Sometimes, All Because of You, and then I'm guessing Kite and COBL get thrown on there as well.

Then what? Boots? Moment of Surrender? Magnificent? More songs that the public didn't give a fuck about when they came out the first time?

The thing will sell pretty poorly by comparison and isn't worth it.

Perhaps. But yet again, I'm not sure that a lot of casual fans were familiar with songs off Pop or Miss Sarajevo either for 1990-2000. A few new songs added to ones that were singles or fan favorites could easily bump up the total to a somewhat respectable track listing (in some fans' eyes anyway).

Again, I don't see the odds of a 2000-2010 compilation happening, and I'd much rather have a new album than a fourth hits album in the end. But I do see the convenience of using it as a way of throwing unreleased songs on there before moving on to the next thing, with a studio version of Mercy or whatever.

With regards to potential tracks - I think there is enough for it to do really well. People here have a famous loathing for the 00's, but the general public didn't.

Vertigo, Elevation, COBL, Walk On, Kite, SYCMIOYO, MOS, WITS, OOTS, GOYB, Magnificent, Crazy, Mercy Every Breaking Wave, Something good enough to be a single to market the album off. 15 songs. A b-sdies compilation could be filled with the outtakes from the unreleased and rare (Smile, Xanax, native Son, Flower Child), Are You Gonna Wait Forever, Big Girls, TGBHF, Always, Fast Cars, Old Mercy, few remixes

Done

With regards to potential tracks - I think there is enough for it to do really well. People here have a famous loathing for the 00's, but the general public didn't.

Vertigo, Elevation, COBL, Walk On, Kite, SYCMIOYO, MOS, WITS, OOTS, GOYB, Magnificent, Crazy, Mercy Every Breaking Wave, Something good enough to be a single to market the album off. 15 songs. A b-sdies compilation could be filled with the outtakes from the unreleased and rare (Smile, Xanax, native Son, Flower Child), Are You Gonna Wait Forever, Big Girls, TGBHF, Always, Fast Cars, Old Mercy, few remixes

Done
Dan, quite making sense, it's illogical.

Done

The general public knows Stuck in a Moment, Elevation and Vertigo. People will buy it, sure, but it won't sell anywhere near as well as the previous two.

The general public knows Stuck in a Moment, Elevation and Vertigo. People will buy it, sure, but it won't sell anywhere near as well as the previous two.

But nothing would in the current market. Best of 80-90 if released now would do poorly by the standards they have set.

They do need a single to go with it, and it needs to be good.

But wasn't there a new Winged logo that they used at that time for promotion use of the best ofs?

I'm not sure they won't just put Beautiful Day on it as well. Just because it was added to the end of the previous decade doesn't mean it can't be included as the beginning of the 00's. It really would make no sense to leave it off, even if it has already been on the other group. Sure there are going to be a few people crying OMG they already put it on one of these! But I bet the majority of the audience they are reaching for with a collection like this would not care, and would probably care more to find it not on there.

Back
Top Bottom