U2 Catalog: The Ultimate Ranking Survey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Today's update: I have to move continents this weekend. Please be on standby for a new thread and the beginning of emails starting next week.

In the meantime, we've seen a significant jump in subscription. Enough to where I'm happy to move forward. However, the more the merrier. If you're interested, a blank or any email to u2poll+subscribe@googlegroups.com will get you onboard. Still plenty of time!

I really like this idea. I wish it was something you could do via a poll in the normal threads (like the previous "rate the song series") but I get that you want to do something more comprehensive. I'd actually prefer a "rate the live songs" series since that's never been done and it's the only way I listen to U2, but that would be a much bigger challenge, starting with which versions and sources to include.

I'd say include SOE. Why not? You want to rate all U2 songs, and those are U2 songs. Yeah, the results might be skewed a bit, but they'll be skewed no matter what. Yes, SOE might rate higher, but that might cause SOI to skew lower. Stuff goes in and out of favor in any case for all kinds of reasons (remember the Crystal Ballroom hysteria?), so I'd side with being complete over worrying about whether something is too new. Trust people to take what you're doing seriously and give thoughtful, not impulsive reactions. This isn't Twitter.

You also might want to consider reaching out to other U2 forums, including in other countries. I think the self-selecting sample you'll get here might be a little small to get the results you're looking for. Frankly if you don't have enough people participate, your demographic data (which seems like the whole point of doing it this way) won't mean very much.

Anyway good luck! I'm sure everyone will be interested to see your results.

Oh, and please disregard Axver's MOS rating.

Last edited:
This seems very interesting, but I haven't decided yet if I'm going to take the time to participate.

What sort of timeline are we looking at, I mean, for how long you want the whole thing to take?

Nick, I've already designed the survey to input forum name etc. for this very purpose. But that's an expansion.

Yes, some demographics may suffer, but the demographics are side results. The main result is the ranking of songs across all submissions. For that primary goal, we will have enough data, for sure, I think.

Unfortunately, I cannot disregard any bad ratings ;)

This seems very interesting, but I haven't decided yet if I'm going to take the time to participate.

What sort of timeline are we looking at, I mean, for how long you want the whole thing to take?

Starting distribution sometime this coming week, finishing submissions of surveys sometime before Christmas, data available sometime just after New Years (though could be available like a day after submission closes).

Alright, will do. Will have a thread with all the details, with this one being more of the deliberation thread.

We can have

I. Introduction
II. Rules of the survey
III. List of songs (in spoiler)
IV. Access to uncommon material (YouTube playlist)
V. Explanation of survey delivery and methods, how to sign up
VI. List of participants (in spoiler)
VII. Procedures for submission
VIII. Topics to be examined (methods)

All in one post, sound good?

Not sure we need VI? Especially as participants might grow further, and you can't edit the OP after an hour.

I really like this idea. I wish it was something you could do via a poll in the normal threads (like the previous "rate the song series") but I get that you want to do something more comprehensive. I'd actually prefer a "rate the live songs" series since that's never been done and it's the only way I listen to U2, but that would be a much bigger challenge, starting with which versions and sources to include.

Oh, and please disregard Axver's MOS rating.

namkcuR's working on a Live Survivor, actually.

And MOS isn't the song you should be worried about me giving a bad rating...

Outlier!!

Just stay away from TUF, TJT & associated B-sides and you and I won't have a problem.

Fuck with those and Boy's going down.

I think you know I'll be throwing around a lot of 9s and 10s there!

I'll see what I can get rolling - just got to Edinburgh airport (rather early). Might be able to get the ball rolling today or tomorrow.

Just signed in. This really is a cool idea. There are definitely some obscure b-sides I'll be listening to for the first time.

This sounds like fun, I'm in. I don't think SOE should be included since it takes time for opinions on new music to settle.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom