U2 - At The End of The World ...what do you guys think??????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Acrobat54321

Babyface
I've finally got around to buying some of the U2 books I've waited years to buy. I was wondering how do you guys rate the Flannigan book At The End of The World. I've heard good things about it and was wondering if it is as funny and enjoyable as others make out.

Thank you

The book is the so-called U2's bible. It's really great, the best you can find at least about the Achtung Baby / ZOOTV era. I have 8 books about U2 and this is my fave so far.
Bill Flanagan is a really good writer.

BTW, I'm trying to find another book called Race of Angels - The Genesis of U2, I've heard good things about it. It's out of print at Amazon. Does anybody here have this one?

I Love this book! It would be a great book even if you weren't a U2 fan, but it's indispensable if you are one!
smile.gif
Just to give you an idea, I typed out some quotes from my copy. A few of my favs.

In the car Bono struggles to get the TV to switch channels, but it stays stuck on one of those half-hour self-help commercials. Finally, in exasperation, Bono says, "Edge, you're the scientest, can you get this to work?" Edge leans over and tries to change the station. Each time he does, it clicks back to the self-help ad. This is very strange. Edge gets down and fiddles the switches with the furrow-browed dedication of Louis Pasteur at his Bunsen burner, oblivious as Bono to the fact that Larry is sitting with a remote control by his leg, clicking the channel back each time Edge tries to change it.
At last they give up and accept the infotainment. "Too bad you can't get cable in a car," Larry says. Then the drummer asks if anyone else has ever seen the Fishing Channel. "Lots of talk about rods and hooks and the one that got away."
Bono says, "I prefer the 'Rides bikes, likes boats, and lives with girlfriend for twelve years channel."
Larry groans and rolls his eyes. Edge asks what they're talking about. Larry explains that Bono's recapping the thumbnail description of him in the new Vogue cover story on U2. Once again a journalist who was given access to the whole band went home and wrote a story that was chock-full of Bono, had a few wise parables from the Edge, and devoted to Adam and Larry roughly the same number of words that go on the back of a bubblegum card. Bono says euphemistically, "She painted Larry in bold strokes."
Adam smiles and says to the sullen Mullen, "At least you're not the one she called 'handsome in an ugly way.'" (pg 128)

about the making of the Numb video...
The members of the band all grab pieces of paper and make lists of what they'd like to see happen to Edge in a chair. Edge's list is full of suggestions like, "Beautiful women kiss Edge." The guitarist is taken aback when his bandmates ideas are read out: "Edge gets punched in face," "Cigarette pushed up Edge's nose," "Break egg on Edge's head." Bono sees the sick look on his pal's mug and whispers that Edge may be a little nervous about having to be a video star. I don't think that's what Edge is nervous about. (pg 251)

"I'll tell you," Adam declares. "You learn a lot about women from dressing up in women's clothes! You learn that when a woman asks you, 'Do I look alright?' what she's really saying is, 'I have just spent a lot of time making myself uncomfortable. If I go out in this condition will I look foolish, or is it worth it?"
"Sheila," I say, "you're a woman. Is that true?"
"There is a lot of truth in it," Sheila says. "High heels are murder."
"Sure," Adam says. "When you ask a woman to go out to dinner it's not like asking one of your mates. She has to stop and think, 'Hmm, dinner. That will be four hours of being uncomfortable.' And if she says yes and then after four hours you say, 'Let's go dancing, let's go to a club,' and she says 'No, I want to go home,' it's because she has figured on four hours and now those four hours are up and she can only think of getting home and getting out of those clothes!"
"Ah," I say, "so that's why women take their clothes off after you buy them a fancy dinner!"
Adam smiles the wise smile of Archimedes overflowing the bathtub and says, "Let me go get some more wine and I'll give you some more insights into the female psychology."
He sashays off in his sarong and I say to Sheila, "I've got a new name for Adam Clayton."
"What?"
"Madame Clayton." (pg 281)

Hope you decide to buy the book, Acro! Cheers!
-sula

Great choice of quotes Sula, and there is a lot more where those came from. As a U2 freak I found just about every page interesting.

It's a great book, I think every fan should read it. All those people out there who are disillusioned with U2 because they are confused about the bands personal issues should read it. Though the craziness of the tour sets in, it is a great insight into how the band really act and why they did Zootv. A lot of those people who think U2 believe this or that then get pissed off when they find that's not true should read this book.

Those are some great quotes! it makes me wanna get the book even more!

This is the U2 book of all U2 books! If you haven't read it - GO GET IT NOW! If you have read it - GO READ IT AGAIN!

I would love to read more of Bill Flannagan, no matter the topic. He's a great writer, which is hard to find these days, and he has a super sense of humour. In addition, he actually understands the band, which is essential in this kind of endeavor.

I've re-read the book several times, and still find it hilarious and illuminating. I only wish he'd do a new book on this tour. I'd love to see the changes in everyone since ZooTV...

DEFINITELY GO GET THIS BOOK!!!!!!

------------------
"And it's already gone too far..."

U2 - At The End Of The World is a great book. Bill Flannigan did a great job of writing it.

I would seriously reccomend for those of you who enjoyed it to read his latest book, A&R. It's a fictional novel about the record industry, and it's very good.

You really need to buy this book to laugh your ass off!!

I love the part where Naomi Campbell just hits a glass door when she was being a royal bitch..

------------------
Support Amnesty's Campaign against Rape and Violence in Sierra Leone. Sign up.

[This message has been edited by bonovista (edited 11-15-2000).]

That book is awesome!!
wink.gif

I got it back a couple of years ago and I thought it was so good...so good that I actually read that book in 2 days...I mean it's so good it's been called Flanagan's Bible because you really get to know what all the members of U2 are really like in real life...I of course cracked up a lot with this book...I give it 10 stars. Definitely a must for any U2 fan
biggrin.gif

------------------
Signing out.

The U2 revolution has been reinstated.

You MUST get it!! I think I have never read a book at the speed at which I devoured my Flanagan Bible. Add emphasis on "devoured"!
biggrin.gif

If only Bill Flanagan could do a follow up book....

This book is awesome!
It's really great to read about the AB and ZOOROPA recording sessions.
The chapter of the Berlin Olympic-Stadium gig in 1993, which I attented is so cool!
Another highlight of the book is the section of their late 1993 New-Zooland tour and the concert at LancasterPark in Christchurch.
After the gig they have had one week off and so they did a lot of sightseeing (Larry motorcycling) around the Christchurch area. The Edge and Bono ordered some bottles of wine in a vinery at Akaroa.

Once again the best book about U2 so far!

AllBlack

It is one one the best books I have ever read, and I have read hundreds of books.

It is a must for all U2 fanatics.

Buy it today...Allbooksforless.com has it for cheap...at least they did when I got it.

Texan

BIll Flanagan's book is a must have!!! Really. I think I read it three times already and after reading the quotes put up by Sulawesigirl I want to read it again. It's very funny at some stages but also serious where it needs to be (like the chapter where he asks Adam about the missed gig in Sydney)
I think the best part is where Larry is discribed as inflatable. It's hilarious!
biggrin.gif

BP Fallon's book has nice pics but that's all.

am

I've been a book virgin so far
redface.gif

I ordered Flanagan's book from Amazon today, and also Into the Heart (or somefin, like that
wink.gif
) - The Story Behind Every U2 Song. Is that one any good? 8)

------------------
"I think the thing I like least about myself is that I'm reasonable. And
being reasonable is a very un-pop-star trait. So I'm taking bastard
lessons." -- Bono

I think Scrappy is right, Bill should do another book for this tour! It would sell like mad! I wonder if we could get an address for him and ask if he still has connections with the band to do another book? What a great idea Scrappy!

I ordered Alan Carter's "The Road To Pop", is it any good?

After this book, I will probably read "At The End Of The World" again....can't wait! :>

------------------
If You Dream, Then Dream Out Loud!

I really want that book! I dunno where to get it, though
frown.gif

any swedes out there, who knows if I can get the book somehwhere in sweden?

Cheers guys,

Thanks for the positive replys, definatly this book has been ordered based upon your replies. Sounds fantastic!!!!!

Again, thank you

cool you reminded me the name of that book. i been meaning to look into it. i read it a little bit when i was at best buy one night. it had a lot of cool U2 pictures and is as recent as Pop. so i guess it came out in 98.

Originally posted by CatDubh:
I've been a book virgin so far
redface.gif

I ordered Flanagan's book from Amazon today, and also Into the Heart (or somefin, like that
wink.gif
) - The Story Behind Every U2 Song. Is that one any good? 8)

someone mentioned the Naomi Campbell running into the glass door story...here it is
smile.gif

Naomi returns to our company, stretches languidly across the back of Adam's chair and pouts that the chef, who refused to cook, would not stand aside and let her at the stove. She is upset and she is going to bed. She kisses Adam good night, kisses Christy [Turlington] good night, waves to everyone else, and then walks straight into the glass door with a shuddering crash. Everyone jumps up, but Naomi just reels back, laughs, and tries again, this time passing through the open side and back into the hotel.
"That'll straighten her out," says the gallant Adam.

CatDubh, you made good choices. Nial Stokes's Into The Heart is good, with some great pics, although I don't like some of his interpretations on U2 songs, but anyway, it's worth. It's better than BP Fallon's IMO.

Hey guys, what about that book I asked above, Race of Angels - The genesis of U2? Does anybody here have a clue where I can get it?

it amazes me how many of you dont have the Bible. I just wish he'd do another one.

BEEP Fallon's book is great. SOme fo the best shots ever taken.
Love the one of Bono in the grass on the air strip...

Thanks everyone
smile.gif

Cannot wait to read them.

------------------
"I think the thing I like least about myself is that I'm reasonable. And
being reasonable is a very un-pop-star trait. So I'm taking bastard
lessons." -- Bono

Back
Top Bottom