Tri-Nations and Bledisloe Cup Rugby is fast approaching!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
timothius said:

Not the All Blacks? :grumpy:

Have a guess who's going to win tomorrow.

Hint: it does not begin with 'A' if it is only one word.

yertle-the-turtle said:
Tony Marsh wasn't exactly born in Paree so that's a big hole in your argument.

Marsh and De Villiers are the only non-French players in the last 100 years. :no:

I can start the list of kidnapped players if you want, the list is soooooooo long :lol:

Be careful my sweet turtle, there will be a big hole in the NZ defense in 2007.
And maybe saturday too. :laugh:

Never said I liked NZ, and I think you do have a point about the rather sad practice of sportsmen choosing not to play for their countries. I suppose there are all sorts of exceptions - in Singapore one of the national team football players is a Liverpool-born Englishman but can we say that's negated by the fact he's been in this country since he was three - but to have willy-nilly switching of allegiances after a mere three year residency is just wrong, somehow.

Does this reflect a changing, more globalised world? Or are athletes just too willing to throw away national pride for money and personal glory? Who knows?

That said New Zealand are hardly the only country guilty of this practice in the rugby world.

I'm just sad that the Western Samoa is always stolen, I would really love to see them with equal opportunities.
I would love to see a Pacific Islands team in the tri-series.
I'm happy that Brian Abana refused to gather Australia for money and loves his Springbok shirt.
I'm not a nationalist at all, i want equal opportunities. Some Samoans couldn't play for their national team in 2003 because their English clubs refused, it's the kind of things i hate, the NZ and Australian federations don't help this country enough, they let them starving and steal their best players.
Most of Samoans and Fidjians prefered 1 or 2 caps in the NZ or Australian team instead of 50 caps with their nation. I don't understand, and the situation is getting worse since the federations pay the international players. I prefered when the clubs paid their players.
And it is the same thing for Argentina, half of the Italian team is made of people from Argentina.
Rugby is dying because of these practices.
The International Rugby Board took a terrible decision last year. Before it was easy to play for any national team, now it's no longer possible. Some players will wait an hypothetic cap in a major country.
There is a huge debate in France about Isotolo Maka. It is possible that Maka play for France in 2007, many of us are happy because he is a great player, but i don't feel comfortable to know that he refused to play with the Samoa in 2003, waiting for the compulsory 6 years gap needed when you want to join a new selection.

yertle-the-turtle said:
That said New Zealand are hardly the only country guilty of this practice in the rugby world.

True. Infact New Zealand suprisingly are one of the most pillaged countries this way in the world. In the past 5 years we have seen many high profile All Blacks such as Shane Howarth, Grahame Bachop & Stephen Bachop playing for other countries, of coure there are top-notch NPC players like Tony Marsh & the Leslie brothers who were pinched as well. So it goes both ways.

On the level of worst offenders in this regard, Australia rank right up there... it is not uncommon for them to grab developed players from other nations, Manu, Paul & Ofahangaue from New Zealand Vickerman and Strauss from South Africa. To my knowledge the only non-NZ born players the All Blacks have fielded in the past 10 years are Andrew Merthens and Steven Devine.

In regards to Pacific Island rugby...Any players NZ have "taken" from that pool have generally been NZ born to Pacific Island parenets and raised in the NZRFU structure. Michael Jones being a case in point, despite playing his first test for Samoa, he is, was and will always be a New Zealander. Up until 1996 no-one did more for PI rugby (this probably still rings true), but the Super 12/Tri-Nation structure severly hurts them, to benifit Australia. :yes:

THIRTY UNANSWERED POINTS!

Ah, Australia, get that losing feeling again. That's three you've lost in a row and there's no end in sight! You started promising but hooo-wheee, the All Blacks sure turned that around in a hurry.

New Zealand 30 - 13 Australia

WOOOHOOOO!!!

The Bledisloe stays in Kiwi hands for another year, right where it belongs!

yertle-the-turtle said:
Do you follow your country's football team? How do you feel about the likes of Patrick Vieira playing for France?

He didn't play for Senegal first, that's the main difference.
There is a new rule now, you can decide for which country you want to play.
If you're French but one of your parents is from Senegal, you can play for Senegal.
Many people don't like this rule, i don't understand why.
Rugby is very different, there are very few great teams NZ, Australia (sorry Axver), SA, France, England and many challengers (Wales, Ireland, Argentina, Scotland).
In football there are more great nations, it's difficult to guess the semi-finalists of the world cup.
I would love to see a Pacific team not a Maori team.

guill said:
Axver is still :dance:

:dance: :dancing: :rockon:

The morning after defeating Australia always feels that little bit brighter and happier. It's like the sunshine is sweeter.

:up: Excellent. Can't wait to read about your adventures.

I wonder how the Wallabies feel this morning and how Eddie Jones feels about his future.

Axver said:
I wonder how the Wallabies feel this morning and how Eddie Jones feels about his future.

:hmm:

poele-stove.jpg

:drool:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I seriously think Eddie Jones is one of the most annoying coaches ever. And he's not got much success to look forward to - let's face it, South Africa are on fire and should win in Perth, and Australia aren't about to beat NZ in NZ.

Congratulations to the All Blacks. :clap: A great win. :up: That try by Occi whatever was fantastic, what an athelete. :drool:

Yes, I would have to say that poor old Eddie Jones must not be feeling to fine at the moment.:|

Now, the circus comes to Perth :hyper:

Back
Top Bottom