Time For A Real Live Budget

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryMullen's POPAngel

Blue Crack Distributor
I'll be up with the sun, I'm not coming down...
Ok, folks, here's the deal:

Last year I finally moved into my own place. I had saved up quite a bit and was convinced I'd have plenty of money each month left over after paying bills.

Fast forward to almost a year later. I still have a very good sized savings, but consider the fact that there's been a U2 tour this year, and that all of my bills have gone up in some way or another, and this girl is looking at an entirely different, and much slimmer, budget than I was last year at this time.

So, my question is... Any tips on how to live cheaper without compromising anything fun? It's not like I'm out partying everynight (look at where I am at 12:30 a.m. on a saturday night! :p) or buying CDs or clothes every season, so I have no idea where that money is going. I'm convinced there's a black hole it all just stumbles into each month.

Any and all help, as always, is much appreciated. And cutting out my remaining U2 shows or selling my tickets = NOT an option! :sexywink:

well, i use a register book to analize my spending, knowing where the money goes is realy helpfull :lol:

You would be surprized how much money goes in *rewarding yourself *

Yeah, I think if you kept a log of your spending for a couple of weeks, it might be illuminating.

A lot of times, I've noticed it's the little things that add up - the Starbucks, a magazine here or there, lunch when I'm too busy to pack one at home and so on. That kind of stuff is easiest to cut out.

anitram said:
Yeah, I think if you kept a log of your spending for a couple of weeks, it might be illuminating.

A lot of times, I've noticed it's the little things that add up - the Starbucks, a magazine here or there, lunch when I'm too busy to pack one at home and so on. That kind of stuff is easiest to cut out.

Oh yes, I believe it. Just today I had two coffees while running errands, and came home with some flowers I probably could have done without! :reject:

I don't like cooking for myself very much, so any chance I can skip it, I take, so maybe if I cut that out I'll be better off.

I've actually never had ramen, can you believe that? One of my friends used to have that as her entire diet!

Ramen, tea instead of coke/pepsi, oatmeal, pasta, grocery-store-brand soup, nothing really fancy... I mean, you don't want to have crappy food all the time, but you can almost always buy food of comparable quality to a brand name under a brandless title. A lot of times things like cereal, granola bars, etc, are produced and packaged in the same facility, and you can get the unbranded one for a mild % cheaper. In addition, you can try to limit daily coffee runs and stuff... no trips to the vending machines, etc... Maybe carpool to work, or use public transit - even if you don't do it all the time, it'll save a little bit of cash here and there.

I find a good way to prevent myself from spending money is to leave my cash and cards at home... its hard to spend money when you don't have it :up:

Just don't cheap out on beer/alcohol. Nothing worse than a crappy scotch, or a piss-like beer (Coors Light). Those sort of things, if you're going to incorporate them in some way into your budget, need to be given full $$ for quality.

Yeah, I know what you mean....

I'm trying to help my stepmom keep track of stuff by setting up something (simple) on a cpu or something..... if it works out, I let yall know...

but... well........

I would assume just making a list and such, something simple, would be easy and very self rewarding.

Remember, true happiness comes from within!
Find free music on the net,
buy food wisely
and hit up your local library!

Those are my insta-tips

~unforgettableFOXfire~ said:

Just don't cheap out on beer/alcohol. Nothing worse than a crappy scotch, or a piss-like beer (Coors Light). Those sort of things, if you're going to incorporate them in some way into your budget, need to be given full $$ for quality.

Oh, I've always made sure to have money for booze, Jeremy! :up:

And I did one other thing you suggested a few months ago that I didn't even remember until just now: I've taken my lone credit card out of my purse so the temptation isn't there to use it when I feel like a new pair of shoes, book, etc.

I'm also trying to find cheap ways to eat healthy, because most of the time some of the cheaper eats are the most fattening!

As others said, document everything you buy. I went through a phase where I kept track of every single thing I bought, right down to a pack of gum. No penny went unaccounted for.

Also...prioritize your fun purchases to make sure it's something you REALLY want. Is there something else you'd rather have? I was going to buy some fancy lip gloss, but then I reminded myself that the new Ryan Adams CD is coming out Tuesday...and I would rather have that than lip gloss.

I agree about the coffee and magazines. They can really add up at 3 to 5 dollars a pop. :yikes:

Now, I've got subscriptions to the mags that I really want for 9.99 for the whole year!
And just get a travel mug and take your coffee from home with you. :yes:

buy the 'economy'/saver version of all your food...my Mum left me home alone for a week and all the food I bought was not only 'Economy' brand from Sainsbury's [uk] and therefore 1/3 what it would have cost usually, but it was just as bloody delicious! Plus I also saved my Mum a ton of money so she doesn't have to worry about leaving me alone again...:wink:

I can't wait for University! I'll be living it up, spending tons of free money on records and instruments while all my friends get fancy food and go drinking every night then moan to me that there money's all gone...!

My husband set up a budget for us when we were first married. It's based on a percent system. For example, food is 7% of our 2 week income. Rent 14%, spending 2.5%. I write down everything that is spent. This way I know how much money is in each category to know what I can and cannot buy. It's easy to save money this way as well.

Is there a discount grocery store in your area? I have a couple near me. The food isn't expired, just damaged boxes. It probably saves us over 50% in food.

Good luck!

coffee :drool:

my own tips (from experience) would be: write down all purchases, decide what you need first rather than want, and bring coffee and pack lunch from home rather than going out to buy food.
also, stay away from temptation. like everyone said, leave money elsewhere so you don't feel tempted to buy what you want, but also so you don't get tempted to turn that want into need.

the temptation thing ALWAYS happens to me when I go shopping. I leave to shop for clothes, I come back with 5 cds... and no clothes. :slant:

hope I was of some help, if not, oh well. I tried. :happy:
good luck with your budgeting and hope things turn around for ya! :)

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

cheaper eats are the most fattening!

and people wonder why America has weight problems... But I don't want to get too far off topic.

I just want to say, I agree with you, 100% :| :down:

For Honor said:

and people wonder why America has weight problems... But I don't want to get too far off topic.

I just want to say, I agree with you, 100% :| :down:

Oh, I've ranted more than once about how you can easily separate classes in this country by looking at how we eat. In fact, sometimes fast food joints are more visible in poorer areas than in others, and it's not hard to miss that connection.

I just went grocery shopping yesterday and got a ton of good stuff for not a whole lot. :up:

What's worked for me is just consciously committing to things I will spend money on and things I simply won't (even though I want to). For example, I will spend money on U2 tickets, but I won't buy them unless I can go to the show without paying for a hotel room or airfare. I will spend money on my cats when they need to see a vet, but I won't buy and iPod or a cell phone (<~ this is the major one). I will go on at least one vacation a year, but I won't go somewhere that I'd have to fly to and get a hotel room for (usually ends up being going to the cottage w/ family or a road trip + camping). I will take a month long class in Africa, but I won't get a car. I just try to sacrifice one thing for everything else I want and it works pretty well.

Yeah, if you like magazines, definitely get a subscription. It saves a ton of money without really having to sacrifice your fun.

Coffee can be cut easily, IMO. You can have it at home before you leave (you can even make a latte w/ and espresso machine or the instant Nescafe latte). That's one place I have saved money - it's amazing how much of it can go to Starbucks on a weekly basis!

If you don't want to pack a lunch, I know how that can be, but one place I've saved is I'd buy a case of Diet Coke or water or something and leave it at work so I could buy my lunch drink wholesale instead of at the cafeteria for $1.50 a pop.

A few people I know also got rid of their land line and just use their cell phone, which does save quite a bit of money. During work hours, they use the company phone and since most plans are now free after 6 PM and weekends, you don't really rack up that many minutes during the day. If you do that, make sure you always have a charged spare battery.

Great ideas, girls! :up:

I've got my coffeemaker set to go off before I leave tomorrow morning so I can take my mug in instead of paying $2 for a cup at work, and my lunch is all ready to go.

Also, for the Detroit shows next month I think I'm going to buy a bunch of stuff to take with me so I won't be eating out of vending machines for two days.

I've found that we tend to shop to make ourselves happy. After years of trying this, I had a closet full of stuff and was still not happy.

Find hobbies that don't require much expense, but are enjoyable to do. Finding joy in little pleasures avoids the expense of commercial pleasures.

no no no

you must draw the line

NO MORE U2

:wink:

of course Im only kidding. I have found that moderation and common sense are good. The figuring out of need vs. want vs. can do without

Others have already shared good ideas. Small things make all the difference. Always have a container of sugar, teabags at work, so you can make your own tea. Have a kettle at work so you can always have hot water.

Cut down from having 2 coffees out to 1...better yet have a cheap little coffee maker at work, and make your own coffee...a little expense goes along way to saving long term.

go to the grocery store, and have a supply of crackers, fruit, that doesnt cost alot but if you have a fridge you can keep at work for when you are appetite driven=spend money=eat healthy=cheaper

Just the little things they all add up...

rather than sit at your desk and think about food, fill up water bottle full of water and go for walk around the block.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

Also, for the Detroit shows next month I think I'm going to buy a bunch of stuff to take with me so I won't be eating out of vending machines for two days.

Hey, I'll probably be taking my two-burner Coleman along again like we had in Chicago, so if you need anything cooked, I can hook you up! :D

Hi April,

Boy do I hear you on the money issue. Everyone has made great suggestions. I personally have a huge excel file with everything mapped out that I spend monthly, and then what we earn monthly. I just twiddle the "discretionary funds" accordingly until I get a positive bottom line (even if it's $1! :lol: )

Of course when U2 is on, all bets are off.....but I am trying very hard to keep it to a dull roar....just make sure you put a certain amount into a "travel fund/ nest egg" every pay, and then you will have a cushion for U2 related stuff.

Cassis said:
sell your body to the homeless

Wouldn't it be better to sell it to the bodyless? :hmm: :wink:

I agree with everything that's been said and especially with Mr. BAW; you can save a lot of money saving electricity. Turn off the lights when you walk out of a room and see if you can set up your lights so that they are the most efficient. Also, turn off your computer when you're not on it (lots of people leave their pc on at night!), and turn off your computer monitor when you're away from the computer but don't want to turn it off.

Unplug the chargers for your phone and electric toothbrush etc. when you're not charging it (they still use electricity!) and don't put your tv on stand-by. Install a economic showerhead, economic lights and buy rechargeable batteries. These things are more expensive to buy first but consider it an investment; you'll be saving money later. Also, only do the laundry when you have a full load, and see if you can wash your clothes at a lower temperature. Try putting on a sweater when you're at home, instead of cranking up the thermostat.

I also save a lot of money by not having a car. If you do need a car, try buying one second hand (new cars are a total waste of money, unless you really drive a lot) and see what mileage it gets. Also watch your driving style; modern cars have no problems running at low revs so see if you can shift gear earlier. And turn off the airco if you can, that really costs a lot of petrol.

Again, more great advice. :yes: I am known for turning, then leaving on, lights all over the place. :uhoh:

We've talked about the entire car thing, before, too, Matthieu, and if I didn't need one I'd go without in a second! I'd probably save over $500 a MONTH if I didn't have a car payment, insurance or had to pay for gas.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom