Ticks, Twitches and other bad habits.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UberBeaver

Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim
I twirl and pull out my hair when I concentrate. I've actually cleared out quite a bit up top. I kept my hair short for years, and stopped twirling it because, well, I couldn't. The past few months I've been growing it out and just like that, I started right back at it.

Also, every now and then I start crunching my nose and the muscles around my ears pull back. I have no idea why this happens, and it's rather infrequent, but when it happens, I tend to notice it and can't get "comfortable", so I do it a few times to get through it. I figure it's not all that noticable because no one's ever said to me, "WTF are you doing with your face?" and I hang out with people that would certainly want to know.

Oh, and I smoke. But like 5 a day (on a normal day. If I go out, I smoke a lot more.) And I'm planning on quitting soon.

Last edited:
Bite my lip, chew my nails, finger through my hair. I do these out of habit even when I'm alone just watching TV, but I'm more conscious of them when I'm nervous, and probably do them more then.

I bite my tongue and the insides of my mouth.
30.gif

And I smoke.

I play the drums. So when I'm walking around in a store or something where music is playing, I will tap my pointer finger and thumb together on my side, to the beat.

I'm being more careful though b/c someone saw me and I heard them talking under their breathe to their friend about what I was doing. They thought I had a twitch or something with my hands.

but yeah, bad drummer habit too. Tapping on something hard to the beat. Some people HATE that I guess. :wink:

I'm also a tad superstitious. Not sure is that's a bad habit, but I avoid certain numbers.

Also if I'm watching a sporting event, and the team I like is doing good, I won't move or change the channel so long as they continue to do so. It's a burden controlling the universe in such a manner, but we all have our lots in life.

FYI: This strategy has only worked once. In 2004. I'm a Red Sox fan.

I have so many nervous habits, I can't even list them all.

I was a super stressed out kid for reasons I won't get into here but that's when most of them started. I twirl my hair when I'm anxious or stressed, I bounce my right leg up and down or make figure 8 motions with my foot. Sometimes I silently count to 10 starting with my little finger, moving up to my thumb, over and over again.

When I was a kid, it helped me zone out and forget what was going on around me, now I do it out of habit I guess or possibly because I'm a freak :reject:

I can't wear nail polish anymore because I was constantly scraping it off with my other fingernails, which was tearing up the surface of my nails, and wasting all the nailpolish I was buying.

I don't really bite my nails, but I sometimes chew on my right thumbnail. None of the others though.

And I tap my feet and hands a lot.

I have this habit of walking in circles when talking on the phone. It annoys even me, but unless my phone is charging, I MUST WALK.

Last night while waiting for the bus, 2 students sat down on the bench next to me. One of the girls was going on, and I swear she said "like" at least twice in every sentence. It drove me crazy. It was almost as if I was hearing the "meow mix" song with "like" instead of meow. I had the habit of saying "like" too often growing up. Thankfully I broke myself of it. It is really distracting in the conversation.

UberBeaver said:
I'm also a tad superstitious. Not sure is that's a bad habit, but I avoid certain numbers.

Also if I'm watching a sporting event, and the team I like is doing good, I won't move or change the channel so long as they continue to do so. It's a burden controlling the universe in such a manner, but we all have our lots in life.

FYI: This strategy has only worked once. In 2004. I'm a Red Sox fan.
:lol: I helped them, too, when I discovered that if I started watching a game before the bottom of the 5th inning, they would lose, so for the majority of the 2004 postseason I wouldn't watch until then. You'll remember they won the last 4 games of the ALCS and you can thank me for that. :wink:

As for nervous habits, one of my rings is too big, so I constantly play with it.

I also speak in a higher voice than normal when I talk to customers at work. I can't stand it but I can't seem to stop.

I'm a nail bitter, knuckle cracker, leg tapper. The leg tapping is the worst it drives Mr. Cat crazy. But i do have constent tremors in my arms and legs so sometimes when its bad I can't help it, cuz my muscles get sore and moving my legs help stretch them out.

I use to chew the inside of my mouth too, but I was giving myself big sores in my mouth so I had to break that habit. i still catch myself doing it on occasion.

I bite my nails, chew my bottom lip, pull the skin on my neck ( :crazy: ), wiggle my legs when they're crossed, pace, run my hand through my hair.

:laugh:

After a meal or snack at home, I'll get a toothpick and get the food out from my teeth. But then I keep the toothpick in my mouth and it's just there. I heard my uncle had the same similar habit as well (R.I.P. Uncle Al :wave: )

hmm

I:

-bite my lip and the sides of my cheek
-bite my nails
-drum to any beat thats in my head with my hands/pens ect...
-blink exaggeratedly hard to stretch out my eyes
-take deep breaths just because they feel more satisfactory then normal breaths (for some reason this annoys some people)

I used to:

-foam at the mouth when I talked
-make retarded looking body movements when I was talking
-talked ridiculously fast to the point where no one could understand me

the last three I was able to phase out before they did me any real harm, thankfully

I run my fingers through my hair, and sometimes rub the tob of my head with my fingers...

Cracked my knuckes since I dont even know when..

Started biting my nails for the first time this week..It's impossible to stop:(

redhotswami said:
I have this habit of walking in circles when talking on the phone. It annoys even me, but unless my phone is charging, I MUST WALK.

I do this too!

In fact, one time I was walking around talking to my brother in North Carolina. Well, one of my then girlfriends(ex of course now) got so mad b/c I "wasn't holding her hand or anything" during the phone call. Um, it was a big reason for her to dump me.

If I'm nervous I type what people are saying in my mind and move my fingers to the keys, but very subtly it's hard to notice I'm doing it

but I do have a slight tic in my left eye...well it's always in my left eye, but if I'm really nevervous, it's my left left arm and my head...does that make ANY sense?

Also I'm a terrible knuckle cracker and nail biter

I bite the inside of my mouth and tongue when I'm stressed out, or even when I'm bored, I don't realise I'm doing it. Mouth ulcers hurt like hell though, so I'm trying to stop.

I pick the skin around my finger/thumb nails.

I tap my hands/fingers/feet.

I used to bite my nails, but I've stopped now...

Back
Top Bottom