Thread for listeners who felt "empty" after Cedars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cdirani

War Child
I had the strange feeling of emptiness when Cedars was over.
Like, the album was like a soul orgasm and it suddenly...went off.
The black hole Bono once spoke of when he finished Joshua Tree. It happened to me. I think Cedars suprised me like a gran finale for the album. At the same time, it left me in outer space. Alone.

:drool:

I felt the same way.

The whole thing comes together brilliantly, and then....ends. And you're left feeling pretty drained.

I have a good hint:

Play it agin when Cedars is over, I mean from the beginning!!!! Do it 30 times and go to bed, start again the next day, do it for 100 days!

Good hints! But I think the first time has that magic feeling impossible to repeat. I mean, you wait for the frigging album for years and then the last waltz come...it's hard to describe. And you keep wanting more new stuff. It's kind of greedy, but we are fans after all...

cedars stops like final episode of "the sopranos". the only different is, that the soldier died. but we don´t know hat exactly happen with tony and his family. because it was just a black screen. but i really adore this kind of ends. and i agree..this is the part where the next album should start. so hope for one by next year:)

Feeling destitution at the end of Cedars is totally the point of the album, imho.

The horizon is not the point where the sky meets the sea, as some people seem to think - the horizon is the furthest point you can possibly see. Where beyond there is nothing.

I think that's the point.

Felt one song short ...and then realised there are 11 instead of the usual 12. But the mood is the ideal night/open space of many U2 albums. Missing song is before FEZ.

Felt one song short ...and then realised there are 11 instead of the usual 12. But the mood is the ideal night/open space of many U2 albums. Missing song is before FEZ.

Most U2 albums have only 11 songs

Boy, October, JT, ATYCLB, HTDAAB, NLOTH

Only AB and Pop have 12

The song does nothing for me. Not only do I feel empty, I feel like the album's ending leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

It's Cedars..... That song really kicks me in the gut. Bono talked about the theme of the album being surrender...... but at the end, it feels like a surrender into death.... Darkest ending to an album EVER! And I don't just mean a U2 album... ! :O

Cedars is the song I keep repeating. The lyrics are beautiful and profound, the music is haunting, and the sonic experiments set the mood so well.

Powerful song.

To me there's two ways you should close an album

- In a quieter, relaxed mood. That doesn't mean "dark", but it can be. You know that the album is over, now you're relaxing. Letting it flow and say its final goodbye like memories that are vanishing from your mind. (i.e. Cedars or Grace.)
- In a strong, epic mood. You feel like there's an epic end... that everything you listened was only the path for this. It's like a big explosion of emotion. Sadness or hapiness, it doesn't matter. (i.e. All I Want Is You or the best closer ever: Suede's Still Life)

Cedars fits the first group and that's fine by me.

And remember it is not gonna be 4 years before the next album. Bono said so. There will be another one this year - to promote on the US leg of the tour of course.

cedars is the new love is blindness..imagine it live with edges guitar mixed in a little more, bonos amazing vocals, and edge will also take that guitar bit places probably another few minutes after bono stops singing....very similar to blindness on AB

this is not going to be vertigo europe where you end on a high note, there going to drop cedars on us to finish and leave you all messed up as you walk out...that thing doesnt fit anywhere else in the set except maybe to close off the main set....its not depressing, but it just gets you

the last few lines of Cedars just fizzle out and don't give you and "ending" ... they just "end" ....

It really feels like it cuts off and I'm left going "what?!?".

I'm hoping this fits better with the (hopeful) second album to be released later this year.

The song does nothing for me. Not only do I feel empty, I feel like the album's ending leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

The album really kicks off with NLOTH and Magnificent ... but by the time I get to the last few lines of Cedars ... it just feels wrong. Like I got cheated or something. It needs some lush cymbol roll or drum flourish or something to kind of say "the end".

The album has so many non-lyrical musical intros and pieces that to end on a few sputters of lyrics feels like Bono got shoved out on to an unfinished bridge.

I'm so glad that Cedars is the closer and that there are no bonus tracks, I cannot imagine anything coming after Cedars. It's a perfect closer, the atmosphere lingers.

I will get buried I guess for this but who cares.
On my ipod I placed the record before Viva la vida the record which starts with life i techniolor. After cedars that song started and this was the best transition I have EVER heared :drool:
Eno knows what he is doing thats for sure lol

Back
Top Bottom