Things I Hate, Spring Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can you explain how to find the sum of sequences and series? Like, you get this sum, you have to then "see" how to rewrite it to the standard sum, where you can solve it. But I NEVER see how you're supposed to rewrite it. I'm suffering from Math blindness. :sad:

I hate everything we're doing in school right now... and... I hate that I feel jealous because my sister is seeing a concert. I shouldn't complain, I saw U2 a year ago and she's never seen any concerts! But I want to go so badly. :p

Muse at Madison Square Garden in April next year. I mean... Madison Sqaure Garden! I've always wanted to go there. I'm jealous that she gets to go before me. And besides, I really like Muse. (But they're her favorite band so she deserves it more.)

Oh well. I saw my favorite band last year... I don't need another concert.

Galeongirl said:
Can you explain how to find the sum of sequences and series? Like, you get this sum, you have to then "see" how to rewrite it to the standard sum, where you can solve it. But I NEVER see how you're supposed to rewrite it. I'm suffering from Math blindness. :sad:

Sorry I missed your post, when I get a chance later I can try...

Wakes are weird, and sick when you think about it. Friends and family are all in the same room, talking and socializing. Meanwhile, there's a dead body in the room, on display. :huh:

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Do you mean how you write it in summation notation, or to find the literal answer?

Are you talking about when you're given a series written out as something like

a1x1 + a2x2 + ... +anxn

and all that stuff? Or are you more concerned with how to combine series and sequences to make one neat summation?

2v0y15g.jpg

Like that. And the solution rewrites it

20asbbl.jpg

Like that.

How do they come from one thing to the other. :crack: The first step I get, separating the two fractures. Then how do they go from the fractures(not sure if that's the right term, but 4/4^n), to the (1/4) stuff? Is there a rule or what that I missed?

Before I try and explain: If I ever get confusing I'm going to drop little 'don't forget to ask' bits in. I'm not trying to sound condescending, but it's a pet peeve of mine when a teacher doesn't find it important to clarify a vital but simple point.

Okay well for starts, obviously you get the first step and that's good. Just breaking up the fraction into two parts. You're going to want to try and break those up whenever you can.

The second step was re-ordered/re-indexed. What I mean by that is that the objective of that step was to get all of the terms in both series to the same power of n. The reason they do that is so you can apply the formula for a basic geometric series rather than working out some complex one. (ask if you don't understand, I can clarify)

So after the first step, the first series became

[SM] 4/(4^n)

Lets work with just that one first. For a basic geometric series, the formula is

ArithG12.gif

But that formula will only work provided you have a geometric series in the form of

[SM] r^n

As you can see with the series we're working with, the whole thing is not to the nth power, just the bottom. That is again

[SM] 4/(4^n)

We want to work with [SM]4/(4^n) and manipulate it to make it some power of n. There's two main methods to manipulating a series in order to put it into a form applicable for a formula. That is either to re-order terms, or to draw out terms, which basically would include reordering as well (I can explain more of that as well if you want).

So here, what they did was take the summation and drop the power from n to n-1. They pulled out a term from 4/(4^n).

Imagine 4/(4^n) as 4*(1/(4^n)). It might help to write this out on paper (the algebra) to see it better. You'll be able to see that what was listed in this step, 4*(1/(4^n)) = 4*((1/4)^n).

For some specific reason, the worker of this problem shot for n-1 rather than just n. I guess that makes the formula following slightly less messy, idk. But basically what you've got to see is that 4*((1/4)^n) can be algebraically manipulated even further. You don't necessarily have to though... but it makes it a lot easier on you sometimes.

(1/4)^n-1 =?

(1/4)^n * (1/4)-1 =?

(1/4)^n * 4

They've simply manipulated it. The reason why they've done this is because you want that

[SM] r^n

form. That way, you can apply

ArithG12.gif

For the series and get a quick answer to it (and generally the only way to solve it).

I can go on with the other parts but I think it'd be better if you digested that bit first, especially because it's the same method for the second series. It's simple but I'm very poor with words and I just gave you a very wordy explanation. If you want me to slow down or further explain anything in specific I can. When I find time, I can even draw some of it for you and show you step by step what's going on.

Okay, that helps quite a lot actually. I know that formula, but the whole rewriting it to the 4/(4^n) part was what I didn't understand. And indeed the n-1 part, so you could just use that one just as (3/4)^n if you added a factor in front that took out the -1 part?

:crack: I've about 28 hours. Not feeling confident yet, but every little step helps.

Right so in the second series of that problem again the goal was to get the series into a uniform r^n style. The fact that it is (3/4)^(n-1) as opposed to finding the equivalent ^n doesn't really matter as long as you use the correct numbers and be careful with coefficients.

In the second case, the top is already raised to the (n-1) just like with what you did to the first series. The bottom, however, is only to the n power. We need to make those powers equivalent, so in order to get the bottom to 4^(n-1) you need to manipulate it such that 4^n = 4*4^(n-1). Since its in the denominator of the series, that extra constant is 1/4 as opposed to the 4 I have written there.

Once agan if you want, I can write it out physically on paint. The rest after that part is simple plug-n-chug into the geometric series equation.

I still have a bit of trouble seeing exactly when you multiply with what, but it at least is much clearer why.

Thanks for the help. Hope I can survive. :crack:

I hate debt. Seriously, this shit is depressing. Was planning on going to law school next year, but there's just no way I can pay off my debt before then--therefore, putting off further education even longer. I think I'm going to go cry myself to sleep now :sad:

:| Fuckin' teacher decided it would be funny to add a square root of n under the fracture. And not knowing how to solve that.

Square root is r^(1/2), wouldn't know how to do it without seeing the problem but I guess that's a moot point for now?

Don't worry, I'm in hell right now. Emergency 'pass this class' mode for Matrix & Linear Algebra. Considering withdrawal from the course, and in three years as an engineer I've never once considered withdrawal, even in Calc 2 where I risked failure.

I hate it when people just can't drop things, in an incessant attempt to make themselves look right about everything. I also hate it when people constantly point out the flaws of others but can't see a single one in themselves.

I wish I were better at dropping things myself. Often gets me into more trouble and paints the wrong picture.

I hate that I receive the mail of the past four residents that have lived in my apartment. It doesn't help that four adults live here as it stands... it becomes physically difficult to get the mail out of that little box after forgetting about the mail for one or two days.

^ I cannot let things go. Still hold on to an enormous amount of guilt for leaving my marriage three years ago. Can't let go of the feelings I had for someone ridiculous. :gah:

I hate idiots impregnating their even stupider girlfriends to "hold onto them". Even worse, expecting people to congratulate his pot smoking, beer swilling, constantly swearing arse for not pulling out? So hard to know what to say when the bogan families surrounding them think it's fantastic news. Doesn't matter that she drinks goon instead of water, or that they can barely stand each other.
bah

Ugh. I got a faulty aquariumfilter last week, which got replaced by a new one free of charge(good service!) yesterday.

And after one grand day of silence, it started rattling like the old faulty one. :crack: I can't sleep with this much noise, bloody hell!

I hate that tomorrow I am going to have to write a test at school.We write tests everyday:crack:!!!I am SICK AND TIRED OF WRITING STUPID TESTS EVERYDAY!!!:help:I CAN'T HANDLE THIS ANYMORE!!!:gah::panic::faint: I am excausted and I think that today is going to be the first time that I am going to enjoy sleeping!!!:yawn:(I love using those faces,even though I should write this one in the "Things I love" thread,sorry)

I hate that I've had to trade in my tennis shoes for running shoes because running is the only exercise I can do that doesn't hurt my arm, which is never going to get better unless I go for surgery which scares the crap out of me.

Pfft be a geek and laugh at them when you're successful in life and they're not!

I hate when math professors teach a section that's not on the test before they give said test...

Back
Top Bottom