The Unforgettable Fire vs Bomb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For The Fire. Just Do It.

• The Unforgettable Fire

Votes: 101 62.3%
  • Bomb

Votes: 61 37.7%

• Total voters
Bono's shades said:

Anyway, the general point I was trying to make is Bono might be super-enthusiastic about the Bomb right now partly because it is the most recent thing he and the band did musically. He may not be that enthusiastic about it five or 10 years from now.

BINGO! That's close to what I tried to say in one of these poll threads at some point! :up:

Bono's shades said:

I posted before someone else pointed that out. That's a relief. I'd be seriously worried about Bono if he truly thought the Bomb was better than The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. :huh:

Anyway, the general point I was trying to make is Bono might be super-enthusiastic about the Bomb right now partly because it is the most recent thing he and the band did musically. He may not be that enthusiastic about it five or 10 years from now.

Exactly :up:

TUF sounds like more of an album than Bomb to me.
It's more on the same page with itself while still being experimental, but Bomb seems a bit scattered while lacking a little in the experimenting department.

TUF > Bomb, for me.

Although I am no fan of the title track (don't know why, just could never get into it), UF by a mile. Promenade, Bad, Pride (the song that made me obsessive), Wire, MLK, Indian Summer Sky (I can play it on the piano! :wink: ), Bad, Promenade, Bad, Bad, A Sort of Homecoming, did I mention Bad?

cjboog said:
The title track "The Unforgettable Fire" makes me want to puke!

Did someone give you a mislabelled Backstreet Boys CD?

cjboog said:
The title track "The Unforgettable Fire" makes me want to puke! Although the Bomb is being massacred it's still #1 in my book!

:huh:

Oh dear.

lmao.jpg

sorry... wrong thread. :huh:

;)

hahaha! I can't believe someone came and followed up Irishteen's post with something as mindless as this!

Someone had to. :madspit:

Honestly, I can't get into TUF.
I've listened to it multiple times, just as many as I did Bomb in it's first few weeks, and nothing besides the "singles" tracks stay out in my mind.
And something about the title track doesn't sit well with me. It does and it doesn't. I'm moody about it.
Bad is awesome but Pride is so friggin played out...:scream:

Is that still mindless? :rolleyes:

I prefer Bomb to be honest, but only because I prefer U2 at their more intense level, wheras TUF is a more meandering spiritual experience. I do like TUF though...

The UF. Just. I hate elvis presley and america and indian summer sky. 4th of July isn't even what could be described as a song.

Luckily the first half of the album is one of U2's finest, if not *the* finest.

ponkine said:

How old are you?

I bet you within 10 years nobody will be listening to Vertigo and all that foolish stuff, but fans still will be listening to Pride (in the name of love) or Bad.

Any fan that think that Bomb is better don´t have any sense of trascendence :ohmy: or just follow olbigatory the childish band´s hype that praise the newest stuff and knock of the old one :(

What the hell does my age have to do with my dislike of The Unforgettable Fire? It's aged horribly IMO. There are some great songs like Pride, Bad and Promenade like I already said, the I find the rest to be crap. TUF(the song) is great live but the studio version doesn't do it for me. By the way, I'm old enough to be a teacher so I hope that I'm old enough to have an opinion. :rolleyes:

You seriously think that Vertigo is just going to fall off the map? Sorry, not gonna happen. One of U2's catchiest, most rocking songs they've ever made. I know little children all the way up to 50-60 year olds that sing along to the chorus. For the most part, new and old fans alike love the song. Some don't, but they are truely in the vast minority. I not a Vertigo worshipper by any means, but to discount it so easily is short sighted.

As for your last paragraph. How idiotic to make blanket statements. I don't knock the old stuff---Boy, War and The Joshua Tree are all fantastic in my opinion. I just can't stand The Unforgettable Fire.

PlaTheGreat said:

Someone had to. :madspit:

Honestly, I can't get into TUF.
I've listened to it multiple times, just as many as I did Bomb in it's first few weeks, and nothing besides the "singles" tracks stay out in my mind.
And something about the title track doesn't sit well with me. It does and it doesn't. I'm moody about it.
Bad is awesome but Pride is so friggin played out...:scream:

Is that still mindless? :rolleyes:

yes.

gareth brown said:

anyway, how many people here have voted for '...Bomb' without actually hearing The Unforgettable Fire? just out of curiosity...?

Uh... What the fuck is that supposed to mean? I've been a fan since 88 and UF WAS, I reapeat, WAS one of my favorite albums. Its great but I like BOMB a lot better.

The Unforgettable Fire has never been one of my favorite albums. It may be a great album, and Wire, ASOH, and Indian Summer Sky are some of my all time favorites, but I personally have never loved it as a whole. Some people don't like Achtung, some hate Pop. Different strokes for different folks. Please don't make me feel like I'm some bad fan because of this.

and I would blow that train right off the tracks to save how to dismantle an atomic bomb, although I might do the same for unforgettable fire....:shrug:

Theres only a few tracks on TUF that i like so bomb wins. I think its funny though both these albums kind of seem like the calm before storm in a way. TUF was before the Joshua Tree and its seems like the way they're writting and the tour that the next album could be as big maybe i have high hopes but i really think the next album will be one of if not the best they're going to do

STING2 said:
Bono considers BOMB to be U2's third best album, just after the Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. Adam Clayton has said he considers everything prior to the Joshua Tree to just be "demo's".

He has also stated that he considers Please and Stay to be U2's best songs to date. Both are from the 1990s era you will note.

Of course he will be hyping up the Bomb, it is only a year since it's release. Most musicians do this with their recent releases.

financeguy said:

Of course he will be hyping up the Bomb, it is only a year since it's release. Most musicians do this with their recent releases.

EXACTLY !!:applaud:

That´s what I´m talking about :blahblah:

Bono must say his obligatory words with every new release, you know, "best album since Joshua Tree", "best collection of songs ever created" :blahblah: but that´s just moneytalks.

ATYCLB didn´t pass the test of time, and when it was released Bono praised it as something out of this world, mind-blowing, etc :silent: and now it´s clear it wasn´t as great as he promised. The same happened with HTDAAB, and it´s even more dramatic, since this "new" album didn´t even stand for a year :laugh:

Too much talk Bono, really :bono:

gherman said:
Uh... What the fuck is that supposed to mean? I've been a fan since 88 and UF WAS, I reapeat, WAS one of my favorite albums. Its great but I like BOMB a lot better.

:lol: calm down, mate

ponkine said:

ATYCLB didn´t pass the test of time, and when it was released Bono praised it as something out of this world, mind-blowing, etc :silent: and now it´s clear it wasn´t as great as he promised. The same happened with HTDAAB, and it´s even more dramatic, since this "new" album didn´t even stand for a year :laugh:

How, exactly, do you know that ATYCLB hasn't passed the test of time? Same for HTDAAB? I'm really curious because you sound so certain.

There's something missing in both of these albums. I think it relates to the production. At times, it makes TUF sound too lost-in-the-meadow soft and makes Bomb sound like recycled cardboard. These are two albums that could have been much better in capturing the live energy of the songs. I'll take Bomb, by a fraction.

For me, The UF is among the greatest albums of all time. Sure, Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby had the bigger HITS, but as an album in its truest form, nothing can top The UF.
ASOH-Pride-Wire-The UF-Promenade-4th of July-Bad is absolutely perfect. The lack of clarity on Elvis Presley and America is the only complaint I could make about this album, but even that isn't a bad song. The fact that it's so unclear and vague lyrically (like Bad is to some extent) is what makes it so cool.

UF is such an amazing album.

I could listen to it over and over and over again for hours, days, months even.

UF has classic songs, but the overall feel and emotion that the album gives off is incredible. It creates soundscapes and gives you visual images off of a single listen.
With so much reaction I get to it, compared to the reaction I get with Bomb.... I easily choose TUF.

To be honest, listening to TUF title track while driving alone at night is already enough for me to choose UF over Bomb.

Back
Top Bottom