The Unforgettable Fire vs Bomb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For The Fire. Just Do It.

• The Unforgettable Fire

Votes: 101 62.3%
  • Bomb

Votes: 61 37.7%

• Total voters
Bomb is a sequel to TUF...

Crumbs = Pride
One Step Closer = MLK
All Because Of You = Wire
City Of Blinding Lights = The Unforgettable Fire

City Of Blinding Lights is a sequel to The Unforgettable Fire, imo.

Wow I really like how well HTDAAB holds up against U2's other albums, especially with all the 00's hatred around here. :hyper:

Go Bomb! Even though you're losing, I still love you!

TUF has some amazing songs for me like Bad, Pride, and Wire. But the other's I just don't really care for. My opinion of course.

Anyone who picks TUF over Bomb seriously worries me. :wink:

While it has its moments TUF is terrible. I'm glad they made it though because Joshua Tree just wouldnt have been the same without it.
I like Wire,Bad,Pride,MLK and the title track even though it sounds like something Wham might of tried to do.:ohmy:. But the rest of it is horrid and painful to listen to. Especially Promenade. that and Elvis... are the biggest waste of studio time I've ever heard that made it to an album.

BUT....Bomb has way to many revisted riffs to raise it above TUF.

I look at it like this.. TUF was U2 trying something different at a time when they had a lot to lose by doing so. Where Bomb is a very "safe" album without risks that would sell and shows a lack of "balls" to stretch the imagination of today's 20 second attention span.

Images that come to mind when I listen to TUF: wind, water, war, fire(well duh!), metal, loss, embers, spirit, native cultures, earth, hope, faith, urgency, creativity, reinvention, ahead of its time, cerebral, spontaneous and so on.

The bomb? good, but re-cycled

ImOuttaControl said:
Bomb easily.

TUF has it's moments, but imo it has aged horribly and is mainly filler. Pride, Bad and Promenade are fantastic, but the rest is utter crap. For me, TUF is always in competition with October for U2's worst album.

How old are you?

I bet you within 10 years nobody will be listening to Vertigo and all that foolish stuff, but fans still will be listening to Pride (in the name of love) or Bad.

Any fan that think that Bomb is better don´t have any sense of trascendence :ohmy: or just follow olbigatory the childish band´s hype that praise the newest stuff and knock of the old one :(

ponkine said:

How old are you?

I bet you within 10 years nobody will be listening to Vertigo and all that foolish stuff, but fans still will be listening to Pride (in the name of love) or Bad.

Any fan that think that Bomb is better don´t have any sense of trascendence :ohmy: or just follow olbigatory the childish band´s hype that praise the newest stuff and knock of the old one :(
Kinda like the people that hold on to nostalgic old tracks and knock on the new ones? :rolleyes:

It goes both ways. It's idiotic to say that someone is allowed to say HTDAAB is crap and TUF is amazing and flows well and beautiful and etc etc. But if someone claims the opposite view, they must be 10. :|

I think Bomb is better than TUF and that alot of tracks on the album are slow and boring.

Bomb > TUF

Now if you excuse me, my mommy says I need to take a nap. :yawn:

babyman:up: great description of the situation, i really love The Unforgettable Fire, but How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb is the better album......it maybe U2's greatest:drool:

Nube Gris said:
babyman:up: great description of the situation, i really love The Unforgettable Fire, but How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb is the better album......it maybe U2's greatest:drool:

really? you don't think The joshua tree or even Achtung Baby are better?

So are we just going to keep doing these until Bomb loses or what? :huh:

Not that there's any noticable bias in the first post or anything. :wink:

All that stated, this one's going to be tough for me. On the one hand, I can further annoy/confound the Bomb haters by once again voting for the Bomb over a "classic" album because Bomb is "soulless" and doesn't "experiment" enough.

On the other hand, UF is a really damn good album.

I'll go listen to them both and report back. :wink:

I love Bomb, but it's real hard to argue with these 5 stellar songs from TUF:

A Sort Of Homecoming
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Wire
Unforgettable Fire
Bad

Three bonifide classics in Bad, Fire, and Pride.....and two kick-ass tunes that are every bit as good, just not as radio popular.

Wire is such an unbelievably great tune that I don't believe gets the respect it should.

UltraVioletMofo said:
But the rest of it is horrid and painful to listen to. Especially Promenade. that and Elvis... are the biggest waste of studio time I've ever heard that made it to an album.

Promenade may not be that great, but it's still better than 99% of Zooropa. Take the song "Zooropa" off of that album and you have indeed discovered the biggest waste of studio time in the history of music.

catlhere said:

Kinda like the people that hold on to nostalgic old tracks and knock on the new ones? :rolleyes:

It goes both ways. It's idiotic to say that someone is allowed to say HTDAAB is crap and TUF is amazing and flows well and beautiful and etc etc. But if someone claims the opposite view, they must be 10. :|

I think Bomb is better than TUF and that alot of tracks on the album are slow and boring.

Bomb > TUF

Now if you excuse me, my mommy says I need to take a nap. :yawn:

I wouldn't push Ponkine too much, he's not the brightest. :wave: :wave:

WalkOnTheEdge said:

Promenade may not be that great, but it's still better than 99% of Zooropa. Take the song "Zooropa" off of that album and you have indeed discovered the biggest waste of studio time in the history of music.

You're both wrong.

Promenade and EPAA are great.

Zooropa(the album) is great.

IMO.

WalkOnTheEdge said:

:shocked:

I might be interested to hear your comments about "Stay", a song Bono himself often cites as one of their best.

Hmmm
I've never been a TUF fan, in fact it is on the bottom half of my U2 fave album list - basically because there's a quite a bit on it I don't care much for BUT on a straight comparison and though I enjoy quite a few of the Bomb tracks, I must say that I find nothing on the Bomb to parallel Bad or TUF (the song).

I guess this all depends on how you appreciate an album. Whether you prefer the highs and forget the lows...which UF has many, or you appreciate a body of work like HTDAAB. To me a great album is one that you can sit down for 45-60 minutes on your bed without feeling the need to switch songs. UF has too many songs that that I really think are average (Wire, ISK), or just plain bad (4th of JulY).

WalkOnTheEdge said:

Well you got me there. I'd have to agree that Zooropa (the song) is a stinker to. Dirty Day, The First Tme and Stay are pretty damn good and holds up really well vs. the period piece that is TUF.
And Lemon is the best song ever created.!

not really but anytime I hear it I cant stop singing " she wants..Lemon" as loud as I possibly can for the next 12 hours.:eyebrow:

UF for me just barely

Achtung Baby
The Joshua Tree
Pop
The Unforgettable Fire
Da Bomb Diggity

PoPrika said:

:shocked:

I might be interested to hear your comments about "Stay", a song Bono himself often cites as one of their best.

Ok, I'll give you "Stay", I overlooked that one. But thanks only to the Live in Boston DVD....I love that freaking song on the DVD!!

UF great songs:
A Sort of Homecoming
Pride
Wire

Bomb great songs:
Vertigo
Miracle Drug
Sometimes
City of Blinding Lights
All Because of You
Crumbs

This one is easy: Bomb. Partially becuase it is more consistent, more fun, has better songs, and is just better. Oh yeah and Elvis Presley and America is an absolutely TERRIBLE song.

WalkOnTheEdge said:

Ok, I'll give you "Stay", I overlooked that one. But thanks only to the Live in Boston DVD....I love that freaking song on the DVD!!

:)

cjboog said:
UF great songs:
A Sort of Homecoming
Pride
Wire

Bomb great songs:
Vertigo
Miracle Drug
Sometimes
City of Blinding Lights
All Because of You
Crumbs

This one is easy: Bomb. Partially becuase it is more consistent, more fun, has better songs, and is just better. Oh yeah and Elvis Presley and America is an absolutely TERRIBLE song.

So, let me see if I have this straight - according to you, All Because Of You is a great song, but The Unforgettable Fire(the title track) and Bad are not? Is that right?

What's that noise I hear?

Oh, it's the sound of your credibility being shattered into a million tiny little pieces.

:banghead: :rant:

namkcuR said:

So, let me see if I have this straight - according to you, All Because Of You is a great song, but The Unforgettable Fire(the title track) and Bad are not? Is that right?

Oh, it's the sound of your credibility being shattered into a million tiny little pieces.

:lmao:

namkcuR said:

:bow:

Yes I agree Bad and Pride almost made this a TUF for myself.

I just feel, like others have stated before me, TUF is hard for me to listen all the way through. Fire is kinda eh, 4th is boring, as is Elvis, and Promenade... Well I wont go there because I like my head connected to my neck thankya very much. :wink:

Bomb, on the other hand, in my humble opinion, is one of their most well put together albums ever. I would say only AB and JT flow better than Bomb. Bomb may not have a Bad on it, which TUF gets major points for. But it has great songs from start to finish, to me at least.

People probably feel the opposite I'm sure, but I'm trying to justify my reasoning for voting Da Bomb :D I still think TUF forgettable fire is great, just not really in my top 5.

Back
Top Bottom