The "Stuck" video now on MTV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nate Dogg

Refugee
Why I am sitting home on a Saturday night watching TV is beyond me, but I caught the "Stuck In A Moment" video at about 10:30 on MTV. It starts out with John Madden announcing a game between the Lemons and the Flys, and Bono and the boys are at different places in the stadium, watching. I think it's better than Elevation, but I have only seen it once, so time will tell....

------------------
Nate

"Sometimes I feel like I dont' know
Sometimes I feel like checking out
I wanna get it wrong
Can't Always be strong
And love it won't be long..."

-Ultraviolet

well ill be... and noone is even talking about it??

sounds cool to me, cant wait to see it for myself.

btw, is the song acoustic or the full band version?

------------------
-deathbear

Yeah looking forward to this too.. it still strikes me as too cheesy for the song in question (is hutchence rolling in his grave?) but i can't judge without seeing it can I?

I'm almost tempted to go and watch Muchmusic... I think they replay their afternoon show in which they would play new releases pretty soon.

Originally posted by SkeeK:

I'm almost tempted to go and watch Muchmusic... I think they replay their afternoon show in which they would play new releases pretty soon.

Oh thank you very much SkeeK
rolleyes.gif

I was just about to go to sleep and now I'm watching Da Mix on Much. It'll be worth it if I get to see the video!

------------------
"See, the rock star gets his way! Thank you very much. This feels very Elvis. Thank you."

Bono ~ Houston, Texas 4-02-01

hehe sorry likeo2, i think at 2am the afternoon show starts.. but then again it's a weekend so it could be different.. and it might also be at 3 that that happens..

i checked the Muchmusic schedual and saturday isn't at all like other days so don't bother staying up trying to see Stuck or you will be very pissed.

I'm not pre-judging the video.. but I can say that from waht I've heard it *sounds* cheesy without being hypocritical at all.. hence the comment about not judging it until I've seen it.

Did you like the elevation video? Or did you like BD? Just curious because I am trying to figure out why people don't like elevation video. I seen BD again on MTV (i taped it) for the first time in several months, and it is in my top 5 all time u2 videos!

I thought the Elevation video was hilarious.. and lots of fun too. I got a bit sick of it eventually, but I still like it.. and one time it almost made sense
wink.gif
. I really like the BD video.. it's really quite good.

Yeah, BD is quite classy of a video. Ironically, Elevation is playing in my living room at warp volume right now.

WOO HOO

Eh...I'd rather they have just used the video where Bono is tossed from the van time after time. I never saw the video with the clips from South America, but I imagine I'd probably prefer it as well.

This video has some moments. Edge makes me laugh, and so does Larry, but its really, really cheesy. And I don't think in such a good way. "Last Night on Earth" was cheesy too, but in a good way as far as I'm concerned.

Some of the references in this song are cute though. The use of Dave Evans and Paul Hewson come to mind, as well as the Fire Dome. But I don't think it stands up well to most of their previous videos.

Anyone think that the video "cheapens" the song at all? I heard that comment from some friends of mine (not necessarily U2 fans).

Comments?

------------------
Love, we shine like a
Burning star
We're falling from
The sky... tonight

Email: LemonLovr@hotmail.com
AOL: LemonLovrU2

Originally posted by Red Ships of Scalla-Festa:

btw, is the song acoustic or the full band version?

The full band version, although it's the edited one...

------------------
Nate

"Sometimes I feel like I dont' know
Sometimes I feel like checking out
I wanna get it wrong
Can't Always be strong
And love it won't be long..."

-Ultraviolet

U2 kinda has a talent for making completely shit videos (IWF, AIWIY, Pride, Please, Elevation) so i'm not expecting this one to be any good either. Why can't they make a video like Sweetest Thing that's funny without being just plain daft?

------------------
Mock the silence while you can.

Originally posted by Lemon Lover:
Anyone think that the video "cheapens" the song at all?

That's what it seems like from the description to me, but I'll have to actually see it before I can comment.

Originally posted by Lemon Lover:
Anyone think that the video "cheapens" the song at all? I heard that comment from some friends of mine (not necessarily U2 fans).

Comments?

Sadly, I think yes. While I don't agree with the earlier statement saying they have a penchant for making shitty videos (AIWIY & Please are fine in the eyes of the vast majority of posters here, at least), this is definitely one of the worst in my eyes. I'm a little disappointed in this one; its too typical of something you'd find from a rap artist.

I can see why people would be disapointed if the video for Stuck is cheesy. The song deals with a very serious topic, so to have a silly video for it might not go too well.

But, Joseph Kahn has worked with the top pop artists i.e Spears, and others. I cant recall them all. Oh yea- Sugar Ray also. If U2 wants to reach that teen pop demographic, than making a video that looks like all the others played on MTV might be a good strategy.

Yes Elevation video didn't come out as good as it could have. The editing was rushed. But it got 5 (or 3?) MTV video nominations. If the video appeals to a younger generation, than the song might cathch on with them, and top 40 radio stations.

Kahn is good at making videos that appeal to the younger generation, while Akerland seems more serious and directed to a older crowd. The video might be cheesy, but the strategy of reaching a new crowd might work with the video.

Hopefully we can vote for Stuck to get on TRL soon!!

Who the hell is giving U2 video advice! I think this video is lousy, especially for the song... it doesn't fit the song at all and, yes, it does cheapen it! I like the one where Bono was tossed out of the van much better! What a trivial, superfical video for such a serious, heartfelt kinda gospel tune!

Ever since BD, the videos have gone seriously downhill. I'm just angry 'cause the "biggest band in the world" can't seem to get a decent video director, concept or something. It's just baffling!

Sorry for the rant... I'm not usually this negative.

--Andi http://www.u2lafans.com (Andi's Exit Fan Page--LA's All-Girl U2 Cover Band)

I thought the "Walk On" video was fine, although the forum seemed mostly split on it. Same with "Elevation," though personally I felt going over-the-top with an "MTV-style" video for that song was okay. Lyrically its as close as Bono comes to a lot of the nonsense out there, and a wild video fit the song just fine.

But "Stuck in a Moment" is different. It's not non-sensical in any way, and its probably one of the few songs out there that pretty much everyone can identify with at some point. And that's what they use. (shrug)

It definitely caters to the MTV crowd, but frankly I don't see that helping it get any more play than it would have otherwise; and the video isn't going to get it on TRL. "Beautiful Day" was a reasonably cool video and a hit song...and didn't get close to being on the TRL countdown. That's the domain of Britney, 'NSync, Missy Elliot (Lord knows why...), and Blink 182/Sum 41, etc.

I did get a kick out of the inside references (particularly the final shots), and I think the songs great, but its far from their finest moment in video. Oh well...not the end of the world.

It seems that I'm the only one who like this video. I do think the whole 'football player missed a kick(kinda like soccer player misses a penalty I think??? I'm not familiar with the game...) and got "stuck in a moment"' is a good idea. Well... Maybe that's just me then.

I liked *the van* one better...but this one makes the point...don't we all have moments that we are stuck in...that we have in playback and we can't seem to move on...same with the football player...he can't move on..

What was strange was to see Irishmen at an American football game...although Larry seemed to be getting into the spirit of things...nice to see him at least pretend to be animated for once..

What's the deal with the upside down Edge?

dream wanderer

Originally posted by dream wanderer:

What's the deal with the upside down Edge?

dream wanderer

Maybe after he slipped he got "stuck" to the sticky stadium floor.
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Enough of this video bullsh**, I'm going to give you some culture. Know what I mean?" -Larry, ZooTv Era

"the soul needs beauty for a soul mate"

-April

Originally posted by christiana:
It seems that I'm the only one who like this video. I do think the whole 'football player missed a kick(kinda like soccer player misses a penalty I think??? I'm not familiar with the game...)

Yeah, think Roberto Baggio when he missed the PK at the end of the 1994 World Cup. Basically, the kicker is going for a short field goal, only about 30 yards or so, which is pretty close. And with his team down by 2 points, a 3-point field goal would win them the game.

Reminds me a lot of Scott Norwood in Super Bowl XXV.

As for the video, I don't know yet. It was pretty weird, and not at all what I expected. I think it'll have to grow on me.

------------------
Change is the only constant

I agree Yankees are evil!

------------------
~*Everybody's talkin' about POP Musik!*~

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica* .???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

And I still haven't seen the vid! :cries:
frown.gif

------------------

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica* .???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

Originally posted by SweetOnU2:
And I still haven't seen the vid! :cries:
frown.gif

Neither have I! I have been switching from MTV to MTV2 for hours and I still haven't caught the Stuck vid. But if I see the Destiny's Child vid or the Moulin Rouge vid one more time I am going to freak out! Sure, I could download the video but I wanted to see it on the big screen.

------------------
Remember the goul.

Shake n'bake
Do whatever it takes

Originally posted by Calluna:
Neither have I! I have been switching from MTV to MTV2 for hours and I still haven't caught the Stuck vid. But if I see the Destiny's Child vid or the Moulin Rouge vid one more time I am going to freak out! Sure, I could download the video but I wanted to see it on the big screen.

*sigh* I know!! I mean I'm tempted to download it but like you said I would much rather see it on the big screen! ARGH!! I have been wathing MTV/2/VH1/MUCH..... NOTHING! :WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH:

------------------

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica* .???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

Back
Top Bottom