The Sound Of The New Record?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lo-Fi

War Child
Bono has mentioned this record a few times when discribing the new U2 record (most recently in the new Q article confirming some of the new song titles). Here's a review of The Who's, 'Who's Next' could this be an insight to what to expect?

Much of Who's Next derives from Lifehouse, an ambitious sci-fi rock opera Pete Townshend abandoned after suffering a nervous breakdown, caused in part from working on the sequel to Tommy. There's no discernable theme behind these songs, yet this album is stronger than Tommy, falling just behind Who Sell Out as the finest record the Who ever cut. Townshend developed an infatuation with synthesizers during the recording of the album, and they're all over this album, adding texture where needed and amplifying the force, which is already at a fever pitch. Apart from Live at Leeds, the Who have never sounded as LOUD and unhinged as they do here, yet that's balanced by ballads, both lovely ("The Song Is Over") and scathing ("Behind Blue Eyes"). That's the key to Who's Next ? there's anger and sorrow, humor and regret, passion and tumult, all wrapped up in a blistering package where the rage is as affecting as the heartbreak. This is a retreat from the '60s, as Townshend declares the "Song Is Over," scorns the teenage wasteland, and bitterly declares that we "Won't Get Fooled Again." For all the sorrow and heartbreak that runs beneath the surface, this is an invigorating record, not just because Keith Moon runs rampant or because Roger Daltrey has never sung better or because John Entwistle spins out manic bass lines that are as captivating as his "My Wife" is funny. This is invigorating because it has all of that, plus Townshend laying his soul bare in ways that are funny, painful, and utterly life-affirming. That is what the Who was about, not the rock operas, and that's why Who's Next is truer than Tommy or the abandoned Lifehouse. Those were art ? this, even with its pretensions, is rock & roll.

I think the key words are loud and force, I doubt the synths will exisit though!

If the new album is anywhere as good as Who's Next then it will be hailed as a masterpiece. Songs like Baba o'Reilly are awesome and Behind Blue Eyes is incredible so if it is similar in the feeling especially the passion of those songs then world is in for a treat.

sounds good to me. I actually think there will be some synths used on this album, not as mere backfillers like much of ATYCLB, but rather important & necessary synths that "make" the song - such Bad, Where the Streets Have No Name, WOWY, and Mofo - Just my 2 cents anyway.....

i just had this insane thought about 'the city of burning/blinding lights' and relating it to Baghdad. im imagining what the sound of baghdad during the war and even now as filtered by U2 might sound like...im hearing 'in the name of the father' from the orange album, but all rocked out!!! even if it ends up nothing like the actual song, i think its worth a mention. give it a listen- see what you think...

Last edited:
Mofo82, I didn't even think of that thought. That would be excellent indeed......I'm thinking like the song Exit.

I don't know...we had so many names working on this album it's hard to predict anything. I imagine Electrical Storm is the link to the new work.

Most of those who heard both mp3s (I only heard All because of you, and couldn't make much of it anyway) mention Boy, with traces of Achtung Baby.

The Rolling Stone article mentions it's "vintage U2" and "epic" and says that Edge's guitar hasn't sounded like Edge's guitar so much since Joshua Tree. I guess them saying "it's guitar rock from the masters of the form" is a good sign.

:confused:

Last edited:
2 big rockers
2 mid tempo rockers
3 ballads
2 folksy/blues songs
2 somewhat experimental songs

something like that.........? :)

Oh yeah, and if it's anywhere near as good as Who's Next, considering where U2 are in their career, it just might be their best work.

Based on Bono's past hyperbole, there are probably 2 tracks that sound something like The Who.

What Bono is referring to when he says it's their "Who's Next" is that this album is filled with powerful, guitar based rock. I don't think synths and tempos have much to do with that comparison.

Basically he is saying that he holds "Who's Next" up as one of his ultimate Rock albums. He and the boys have produced something that is comparable to this album in his mind.

I guess this "Who's Next" vibe started long ago when they covered The Who at Irving Plaza in NYC in the publicity tour for ATYCLB.

Hey reading the entries, I was wondering if anyone has reread the book "Until the End of the World" In there are some pretty interesting connections between the songs mentioned in the Q magazine. One is the title Yaweh. The other is the title City of Burning/Blinding Lights. That title was used back when they were recording the Zooropa album. Since we all know Edge carries cassette tapes of demos and sound riffs in a backpack everywhere he goes, I wonder is maybe some if these songs are from sessions done in the early 90's. Just a thought.

I remember seeing an interview after Elevation tour where Edge said they might revisit the Salome outtakes songs, when recording this album.

If the songs on this new album sound as good as Won't Get Fooled Again then we'll defenitly have a good album to compete with Achtung Baby! :D

See my sig.

Salome takes for this album might be the case. After Rattle & Hum, going toward a new sound would definitely be The Who direction since they dealt more experimental versus bluesy.

I hope there are no synths in the hard rocking songs of the album. Maybe ok for a ballad, but they are better without synths.
I hope the album is related to Achtung Baby, that would be great.

I'm actually hoping for something in the vein of Zooropa. At first Zooropa wasn't a very appealing album to me, but I've really started to appreciate it more lately. Some of the sounds off of Zooropa were great. I loved the sound of Zooropa (the song). Vertigo kind of reminds me of it in a way (the lyrics). You're in a place called vertigo, a confusing, great place. I'm being cheesy. You get my point though.

Don't get me wrong though, I don't want another Zooropa, there's just some aspects from it I really liked.

I'd like the album to be a mix of AB, ATYCLB, and Zooropa. A little electronic, just a little, maybe one or two songs. Loud, pronounced guitar like AB, and the polish of ATYCLB. Sounds great to me!!!

I really don't want this album to revisit U2's earlier records. While they are good, the sound isn't nearly as appealing as their more recent albums, and wouldn't go so well with the mainstream (or me). I don't want country-ish songs reminiscent of Joshua Tree. I Definitely don't want the blues. I want rock!

I'll probably end up loving it no matter how it sounds though...

U2's title "City of Burning/Blinding Lights," is found in a similar title that was used to describe another song that they were working on in 1993 called "Big City, Bright Lights"(pg. 182) Some lyrics used for this song are "Think forever...think about the rain...desperate sea. Jacobs ladder rescue me."

Subject matter such as coffee stains, ghosts and streets are also things Bono touches on in this song from 1993.

I wonder if this song has resurfaced as City of Burning/Blinding Lights?

Thanks Reggie thee Dog. Just saw Bono on the Oreilly Factor. Is it me or did it look like Bono was losing his hair up top. Also it seems hes going for the old Irish Red Hair look. Excellent!!

the more Irish the better...

By the way, Edge seems to carry that bag pack of his that has even some Boy riffs and guitar sounds never used. I wouldn't be surprised if they dug into the bag once again to create some of the new songs. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom