The Smiths - Morrissey - U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacobus

Refugee
The Smiths - Morrissey - U2
does anybody know whether there was or is any kind of relationship between the bands or between morrissey and u2???
do they respect their music etc.?
btw i really really like YOU ARE THE QUARRY the last album of morrissey. great songs!

I agree 'You Are The Quarry' is an amazing album.

Funnily enough when I was at the studio a few months ago a Belgian guy there had his Morrissey ticket from the night before for Edge and Bono to sign.

Edge was keen to hear about the concert and said how amazing he thought Morrissey was.

In the studio later with Bono, he saw the ticket and with a huge grin proclaimed how much "we LOVE Morrissey!", or 'Steven Patrick Morrissey' as he called him. "He's Irish you know?" he pointed out rather proudly :) ... they are clearly big fans of the man.

Cheers,
Jim

I only read one comment from Morrissey talking about Bono, before he first met him, he thought he was going to be pretentious (hell, doesn't everyone who doesn't know know him! he got that down to a tee in the early '90s but we see through the mask!) but found him to be a very grounded and kind person.

If you mean musically, I haven't read anything about The Smiths or Morrissey liking U2's music.

Ha, I never knew Morrissey was Irish! I guess that explains why he titled the first single from the new album "Irish Blood, English Heart."

I also have a feeling a lot of people have the mistaken notion that Bono is pretentious until they actually meet the guy.

You ALL need to to post in 'Bang and Clatter' :up:

I thought I was one of the only huge Smiths/Morrissey fans here.

I am now happy. :up:

There some clip wandering around the internet from some Irish award show from 97-98.
Morrissey presents an award to U2 and Bono was there to accept it, after Bono's acceptance speech Bono and Morrissey walk off the stage chatting away, pretty cool :wink:
I'll try to see if there is a link for it somewhere.

Bono was interviewed about Moz in a recent documentary called The Importance of Being Morrissey. They admire each other.

Moz's lineage is Irish (his family comes from Dublin), but he was born and raised in Manchester, England. Hence him having no Irish accent.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom