The Saints Are Coming in Billboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soldatti

Acrobat
It debuted at #35 on Billboard's Modern Rock Tracks this week.

BILLBOARD MODERN ROCK TRACKS
Week Ending: Oct. 14, 2006

35 - 1 The Saints Are Coming, U2 & GREEN DAY

I wasn't aware it was officially out either?

I hate Green Day but hopefully the two names together can make it a big hot 100 song as well, that would work out great for Music Rising.

Saints rises from 35 to 27 on Billboard's Modern Rock Chart. The song is still gaining airplay on all 4 rock radio formats: Mainstream, Active, Triple AAA, and Modern. Modern/Alternative is the largest format. The song is fading after a good start on Pop radio and is holding it's own on Adult Top 40 radio. IF IT continues to gain airplay and then is made available for download/CD sale on October 30, it could have a decent debut on the BB Hot 100.

Best of 1980-90 holds at 27

ZOO TV slips to 6, but SLANE re-enters the Top 40 DVD chart at #40 this week.

Let's face it, in America, Green Day is the band that will propel this download/radio single to the top of the charts. U2 hardly makes a dent on rock radio anymore.

Saints rises 2 spots to #25 on the Modern Rock Chart. It debuts at #35 on the Mainstream Rock Chart. Best of 1980-90 holds steady on the Pop Catalog Chart. Zoo TV and Slane Castle hold steady on the Music DVD chart.

If "Saints" does get released in the U.S., then the song should make the Hot 100. Airplay is still increasing on 5 different radio formats, but not on mainstream hits radio. Its been holding between 110 - 130 on that chart for several weeks. If the song continues to gain momentum on Rock Radio and Adult Top 40, however, and then has a big opening week w/respect to downloads, it could be a hit similar to Coldplay's Speed of Sound. It debuted at #8 on the Hot 100 on the strength of downloads, and then fell for quite a while, until airplay actually caught up with the "buzz" already around the song due to Rock Radio and the big debut on the Hot 100. It never got back to 8, though.

That's why I think Vertigo would have been at least a Top 10 hit, if not #1, on the BB Hot 100 IF downloads had been included in the charts just a few months prior to it being released to radio.

Regardless, it's kind of hard to root for U2 right now, at least for me, as it seems that this latest, redundant Best Of is rife with greed. Using a charity single and Green Day's "back" to promote yet another compilation...ughhhhhh. I've cut U2 all the slack in the world because I still like their music and seeing them live. This particular move, though, just seems lame to me. End of rant. More BB chart news next week.

beLIEve said:

Regardless, it's kind of hard to root for U2 right now, at least for me, as it seems that this latest, redundant Best Of is rife with greed. Using a charity single and Green Day's "back" to promote yet another compilation...ughhhhhh. I've cut U2 all the slack in the world because I still like their music and seeing them live. This particular move, though, just seems lame to me. End of rant. More BB chart news next week.

Couldn't agree more, beLIEve.

BigMacPhisto said:
Let's face it, in America, Green Day is the band that will propel this download/radio single to the top of the charts. U2 hardly makes a dent on rock radio anymore.

Yet, they still sell as many or more albums than most other bands in the United States. Despite Green Day's near blanket level of airplay on nearly every format in the USA, their last album is still only 2 million copies ahead of the BOMB in the USA.

STING2 said:

Yet, they still sell as many or more albums than most other bands in the United States. Despite Green Day's near blanket level of airplay on nearly every format in the USA, their last album is still only 2 million copies ahead of the BOMB in the USA.

Agreed, and while Green Day has the edge in airplay in the USA now, it's not like U2 doesn't do well themselves. U2 are a rare breed in which their material gets played across a broad range of formats, something Green Day is just beginning to master.

And as far as how the songs do on the charts, let's just remember how well Vertigo would have done if downloads had been included at the time.

phanan said:

Agreed, and while Green Day has the edge in airplay in the USA now, it's not like U2 doesn't do well themselves. U2 are a rare breed in which their material gets played across a broad range of formats, something Green Day is just beginning to master.

And as far as how the songs do on the charts, let's just remember how well Vertigo would have done if downloads had been included at the time.

Just in terms of Airplay though, U2 got more Airplay on the radio for the POP album. On the HOT 100 Airplay chart which considers airplay on all the different types of radio formats across the country, BOMB had one song make on to that chart, Vertigo. It made it to #30. POP had three songs get on that chart, Discotheque #22, Staring at the Sun #19, and Last Night On Earth #74.

Green Day of course made it into the top 10 on the Hot 100 Airplay chart with nearly every song they released from their last album.

But, radio airplay is not what determines popularity, album sales and concert ticket sales combined determine that. Measured by both of those factors, U2 is light years ahead of Green Day even in the United States which is one of U2's more difficult markets.

STING2 said:

Just in terms of Airplay though, U2 got more Airplay on the radio for the POP album. On the HOT 100 Airplay chart which considers airplay on all the different types of radio formats across the country, BOMB had one song make on to that chart, Vertigo. It made it to #30. POP had three songs get on that chart, Discotheque #22, Staring at the Sun #19, and Last Night On Earth #74.

Where did you get this info for the HOT 100 AIRPLAY chart? Have you got a full list of U2's peak position for all their singles?

STING2 said:

Green Day of course made it into the top 10 on the Hot 100 Airplay chart with nearly every song they released from their last album.

But, radio airplay is not what determines popularity, album sales and concert ticket sales combined determine that. Measured by both of those factors, U2 is light years ahead of Green Day even in the United States which is one of U2's more difficult markets.

Im pretty Sometime's You Can't Make It On Your Own charted on the BBH 100 for three weeks even though it only peaked at 97.:wink:

SleepyDeadMan said:

Im pretty Sometime's You Can't Make It On Your Own charted on the BBH 100 for three weeks even though it only peaked at 97.:wink:

Thats the Billboard HOT 100 which considers airplay and sales. I was talking about only the HOT 100 "AIRPLAY" CHART which only looks at airplay all across the country on all formats. It does not use sales, but its data on airplay is used for the HOT 100 CHART.

04072511 said:

Where did you get this info for the HOT 100 AIRPLAY chart? Have you got a full list of U2's peak position for all their singles?

I got it from Billboard magazine. I know peaks for some of their singles on that chart, but if you really want to know how they did going all the way back, you need to find a library that has back issues of Billboard magazine on micro-film or micro-fiche.

so ABOY got to somthing like 5 or whatever on the Modern Rock charts.....in terms of airplay, how good is that compared to songs on the hot 100?

fna692002 said:
so ABOY got to somthing like 5 or whatever on the Modern Rock charts.....in terms of airplay, how good is that compared to songs on the hot 100?

Not very good. Despite getting airplay on Modern Rock, and Mainstream Rock stations, plus Adult Top 40, it was not enough to make a single dent into the HOT 100. "Last Night On Earth" from the POP album did significantly better than ABOY and made the HOT 100 Airplay chart at #74.

10 years ago...

STING2 said:

One problem with comparing radio play from the 1997 Pop Era and today is the massive growth of Hip-Hop/Rap. Granted, Green Day has crossed over onto Mainstream Pop radio, which is still the largest format. However, the Rock radio formats are now a much smaller percentage of the "Hot 100" these days than they were back in 1997...end exponentially smaller than back in, say, 1987. A top hit on Modern Rock just 10 years ago usually meant enough airplay to make an entrance onto the Hot 100 Airplay chart, but it's just not representative of radio in the U.S. anymore.

Vertigo did well because it DID crossover to mainstream radio...reaching into the high 20's on the Pop Radio Top 100 Airplay only chart. It lingered on the Pop Radio Airplay chart even after it fell off the Hot 100...so it was Vertigo's Airplay across the Rock formats (small, even in total) and the Pop Radio format (large, but no larger than "Urban" and "Urban AC" these days) that got it as far as it did on the overall Hot 100.

Right now, "Saints" is at #129 on Mainstream Radio...#9 on AAA rock radio...and around #25 on Alterative Radio. It's being played on Hot Adult AC, but only on 11 stations so far...same goes for the remaining rock radio formats. IF the song can at least hold it's position, which appears likely, a big opening download week should propel it onto the Hot 100...but maybe NOT the Hot 100 Airplay chart. Like I've said before, the only chance the song has for real AIRPLAY success is if it follows the SPEED OF SOUND pattern...getting a buzz by debuting at #8 on the Hot 100, then video play, then a gradual increase in AIRPLAY. The song never got back to #8, but it did start rising back up the Hot 100 chart once airplay caught on enough for the song to overcome the lack of ongoing downloads...

I have a list of all HOT 100 chartings for u2's songs which I'll post when I get back to my computer...

BTW, Discotheque peaked at #10 on this chart...it was the last Top 10 Single U2 has had.

This week on Billboard (November 4 issue)

Saints rises one spot to #24 on Modern Rock Top 40
Saints holds at #35 on Mainstream Rock Top 40
U2 Best of 1980-90 falls nine spots to #36 on Pop Catalog Top 40
Zoo TV falls thirteen places to #19 on Top 40 Music DVD Chart

Today, real-time, Saints is actually up to #128 on Mainstream Pop radio. However, on Adult Top 40, Active Rock, Modern Rock, Triple A Rock, and Mainstream Rock, the song is losing airplay and positions on every format. There can be day to day swings when a song slows down on these charts, but eventually, it usually picks up more momentum or fades away. With the supposed download date slated for Oct 30, and CD single release planned for Nov 7, there will be a two and three week lag, respectively, until the Billboard Hot 100 is impacted.

This assumes the song will be available in the U.S., which I don't know for sure to be true. It's listed as a "worldwide" release on U2.com, but even that has meant skipping the States in the past. Also, the big "push" for the song being available for download as a CHARITY FUNDRAISER went to the half-time performance...a 10 minute medley that was made available at Rhapsody, maybe in video form...not sure.

Regardless, I don't know if the studio version of the song will even be marketed, if it's still for charity, or if it will even be sold in the U.S. Personally, I hope not, unless it's clearly stated that ALL proceeds go to charity. Whatever decision is made will determine how the song ultimately performs on the BB Hot 100 and probably how much more (or less) airplay it's going to get on radio.

Video airplay will help. VH1 in particular loves both of these bands, so that extra play will lead to more recognition of the song, leading to more radio requests/play......and the video will certainly chart well on VH1 because they determine theirs by record sales/radio play, so once U2:18 is available, "Saints" should have no problem hitting the Top Ten on the VH1 chart, which in turn helps the album sales/radio play even more. If anything, the music video will allow for the biggest push yet.

no single release

Danny Boy said:
So it looks like no download single and no cd single for the US? So much for a chart push.

I'm surprised, but maybe U2 decided to leave the song to it's charity purpose only, at least in the U.S. It is available in the ROW.

This week, on BB, Saints is up 2 spots to #22 on the Modern Rock chart. On the Mainstream Rock chart, the song hangs on at #35 for the 3rd week in a row. Zoo TV stays at #19 on the Music DVD chart.

My daughter called me to the TV today during TRL, as the video was on. Also, she asked a couple of her friends if they liked the song, and they said yes (they're 12), and had downloaded it I believe.

Just my 2 cents...

I just don't think the song is strong enough. Great collaboration of bands, which makes it an interesting gem for the archives, but the song itself (which rocked during the Live performance) doesn't mesh well with modern radio. That applies to all formats mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom