The Police reuniting for tour in '07 ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sting -- I'll be watching you

Chantal Eustace, Vancouver Sun
Published: Friday, January 26, 2007
"Where's Sting?"

"Are the Police around?"

"Yoohoo. Sti-in-g."

Skulking around back lanes at the North Shore Studio lot, I scurry from building to building looking for that tantric crooner -- and hopefully his musical buddies.

My undercover operation isn't random or without reason. The local rumour mill -- fuelled by an e-mail to a radio station from someone who spotted Sting at the studio -- has fans humming "do, do, do, dah, dah, dah" and straining to glimpse the '80s pop sensation.

Sting and friends are reported to be on-site rehearsing for a reunion tour, their first in two decades.

"They are apparently registered [at the studio] under the name 'Sting and Friends,' " says Crosby McWilliam of Rock 101. He says tips have been coming in from fans and sleuths alike. Billboard.com even picked up the story Thursday.

Earlier this week Rollingstone.com reported that the group had signed on to play at the Grammys on Feb. 11. (Spokeswoman Jennifer Keppell of The Grammys told The Vancouver Sun that "there is nothing to confirm at this point.")

On the subject of a reunion, Sting has been widely quoted saying: "We started 30 years ago, so it would be nice to do something to celebrate. We don't quite know what, but we're talking about it."

Makes you feel like shouting out "Roxanne" doesn't it?

"It's very exciting," McWilliam says.

So, here I am, in the back area of Studio Four, watching a cleaning crew sweep the floor of an empty space and contemplating how I could stuff a message in a bottle to give to Sting, hoping to find The Police.

"Have you seen Sting?"

A man shakes his head and shouts a response: "We all know he's here, though."

But where?

"Over there, I think," he points towards Studio Two.

After circling around the entire lot, I find a group of men and women sitting in a tent outside Studio Two. They direct us back to Studio Five.

"It's definitely Studio Five," says a man with an English accent. "He's there."

This is more like it. Catering vans, construction and the bustle of activity seem promising. But there's no high-pitched pop rhythms or synth guitar riffs.

It's quiet. One carpenter shakes his head and says: "They've gone skiing for the day, I think. He was here yesterday."

Unfortunately, after dodging detection for about 30 minutes --even hiding in some shrubs at one point -- I and photographer Ian Lindsay get ousted.

"Who are you?" asks a man who identifies himself as a security guard. Busted, we confess to our Sting stalking. (He doesn't call The Police.) We follow him to a building and up some stairs to the head office.

While none of the staff would comment on the record, one receptionist did say: "They're not here today. They'll be back tomorrow."

The operation hasn't been a total bust, though, since everyone I spoke to agreed that Sting was around.

"Where did you hear that from?" asks Stephen McGrath of Universal Records. "Everyone's believing each other's hype . . . . Eight other [reporters] have called me."

So he hasn't heard about any Police reunion on the North Shore?

"The band hasn't existed for years," says McGrath. "I honestly have no idea. I have zero things to offer other than I love them, that'd be awesome . . . . It'd be wicked."

Sting's publicist Tracy Bufferd couldn't be reached for comment at press time.

ceustace@png.canwest.com

© The Vancouver Sun 2007

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/arts/story.html?id=18c53c6b-167f-44e3-9b99-4b5adc0fe7c2

Police rehearsing in N. Van?
Lions Gate Studios: Reunion tour rumoured for 'Roxanne' anniversary

Stuart Derdeyn, The Province; with News Services
Published: Friday, January 26, 2007
Every little thing the Police ever did was magic to the band's fans. Yesterday morning, Rock 101 FM's Bro' Jake Show reported that the '80s rockers were rehearsing in town at North Vancouver's Lions Gate Studios, preparing for a highly-anticipated 30-year reunion tour.

No one was available officially to confirm or deny the report. A receptionist would only allow that "there have been a lot of calls this morning."

Rock 101 received unconfirmed reports Wednesday night that two large semis arrived at the studio and started unloading gear marked with Police logos and those of its former lead singer, Sting. The radio station reported some Sting sightings on the slopes of Whistler yesterday, too.

Rumours of the platinum-selling, platinum-blond act returning to the stage to perform have circulated since March 2003, when the Police last played together at their induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland.

They heated up again last month when a story in the United Kingdom's Daily News reported that the group would tour this summer in celebration of the 30th anniversary of the release of its first major single, "Roxanne."

On Jan. 3, www.sting.com confirmed the story. On Jan. 14, Sting pretty much admitted to a coming tour when he told the Television Critics Association that all former members were talking.

"We started 30 years ago, so it would be nice to do something to celebrate," Sting is quoted as saying. "We don't quite know what, but we're talking about it."

Talk of a Police presence at the Grammy telecast on Feb. 11 from Los Angeles' Staples Center is also circulating.

Rollingstone.com was awash in submissions that the band would tour in North America, Europe and Asia. A total of 80 dates is being considered.

Talk is that the combo will appear in April at the Coachella Valley Music Festival in California, which has a history of booking retro '80s acts as headliners. Fuelling these reports is that "Roxanne" is supposedly the sign-on password for the early ticket sales, which start tomorrow at 10 a.m.

If the Police are indeed rehearsing in Vancouver, it joins a growing list of superstars using the city as a pre-tour practice and opening-night locale.

U2 and the Rolling Stones used GM Place for rehearsal space in 2006, while Nickelback and Foo Fighters have used Pacific Coliseum. Bob Dylan spent four days over Thanksgiving at the Commodore. Country singer Dierks Bentley recently holed up at Pacific Coliseum before beginning his latest tour. Previous years have seen Janet Jackson, Aerosmith and others take advantage of Vancouver's relative anonymity and world-class technical crews.

"More often that not, tours will start or end here and, honestly, the difference in the exchange rate is still sympathetic for artists," says Ian Low of promoter House Of Blues.

sderdeyn@png.canwest.com

GROUP'S METEORIC RISE

Members: Sting (b. Gordon Sumner), Stewart Copeland and first guitarist Henri Padovani. Andy Summers replaced Padovani on guitar shortly after the band formed in '77.

First Single: "Fall Out," late '77, sold 70,000 copies as an indie release.

First U.S. Single: "Roxanne," spring of '78. Reached No. 12 in the U.K.

First Album: Outlandos d'Amour, '78.

First No. 1 U.K. and North American Hit: "Message In A Bottle," fall '79.

North American breakthrough: Zenyatta Mondatta, fall '80, and "Don't Stand So Close To Me."

First U.K. and North American No. 1 CD and single: Ghost In The Machine, 1981, and the hit "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic."

© The Vancouver Province 2007

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/story.html?id=f4a7288b-7715-43f5-a2bb-d2847fdc7402&k=36905

More Canadian radio rumors about "POLICE GEAR" being unloaded at the studio:

http://www.rock101.com/shows/blog_message_in_a_blog.cfm?bid=7181&med=29684

plus, new rumor on stingus.net says the following:

"Just came back from the "DIVA-AWARDS" in Munich tonight. Spoke to chief executive of BMG Music... it's happening...starting at the Grammy's. Two new songs will be recorded and be featured on the new best of album. After that, the tour will start. Thats it, nothing more, nothing less!"

The radio interview also mentioned that they are going to be filming a video in Vancouver?!?!?!

U2 and the Rolling Stones used GM Place for rehearsal space in 2006, while Nickelback and Foo Fighters have used Pacific Coliseum. Bob Dylan spent four days over Thanksgiving at the Commodore. Country singer Dierks Bentley recently holed up at Pacific Coliseum before beginning his latest tour. Previous years have seen Janet Jackson, Aerosmith and others take advantage of Vancouver's relative anonymity and world-class technical crews.

-U2 was 3/2005
-Stones were Spring 1999 at the Pacific Coliseum(the tour skipped Vancouver and would be 7 years before they returned)
-Sarah McLachlan has rehearsed here.
-Dylan I heard was 5 days - I also spotted him sidestage at the Vancouver Who gig Oct. 2006
-John Mayer rehearsed a tour in BC 2/2004
-Janet Jackson rehearsed 2, possibly 3, of her tours here.

I'm sure the Dio/Sabbath tour may even rehearse here since that's where Vancouver is hosting the opening gig.

u2fp

Last edited:
A little birdie told me they're going to be a Bonnaroo headliner.

Some more reports on The Police in Vancouver.

Dean Hill said...
RE: The absolutely latest on the Police in Vancouv
So far songs overheard:
Message in a Bottle
Syncronicity
Walking on the Moon
and others
and apparently sounding tight and EXCELLENT!!
January 26, 2007 - 4:00:40 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dean Hill said...
RE: The absolutely latest on the Police in Vancouv
This just in in:
The Police, as of 10 this morning we're rehearsing at Lion's Gate. According to a source you can hear the boys rockin' out. As of 3:45 they were still hard at it.
Another source says they'll be here till February 7th.

http://www.rock101.com/shows/blog_message_in_a_blog.cfm?bid=7226#comm

Miles Copeland is in Vancouver at the moment(touring with some dance troupe), but currently has nothing to do with Sting or The Police - He was their former manager and brother of the drummer.

U2FanPeter said:
Miles Copeland is in Vancouver at the moment(touring with some dance troupe), but currently has nothing to do with Sting or The Police - He was their former manager and brother of the drummer.

Miles Copeland was the manager of The Police from 1978 through 1984 and then Managed Sting's solo career from 1985 until 2003. I'm not sure why Miles Copeland and Sting parted ways in 2003, I think Miles Copeland wanted to do something different. Ian Copeland, the booking agent for The Police as well as Sting's solo career unfortunately passed away in the spring of 2006. Ian Copeland played a huge role in the career of The Police and Sting. He is also a brother to Stewart Copeland and Miles Copeland. The Copeland's father, Miles Copeland jr., was a founding member of the OSS, which later became the CIA. The Copeland brothers spent most of their youth growing up in the middle east, with a considerable amount of time in Lebanon and Egypt. President Nasser of Egypt was a regular dinner guest at the Copeland's house.

Here is the latest on the reunion from Fox News.

The Police to Perform Surprise Gig at 2007 Grammys
Monday, January 29, 2007

By Roger Friedman

The Police to Perform Surprise Gig at 2007 Grammys

It's all over the Canadian papers, and Hitsdailydouble.com broke the news late Friday about something I've known for a couple of weeks: The Police are secretly rehearsing in Vancouver for a major, as-yet-unannounced appearance on the 2007 Grammy Awards.

It's true, although there is no official word. But when CBS' live signal goes to the Staples Center on Feb. 11, director Ken Ehrlich will have scored a coup: The Police will appear and sing most likely one of three songs: "Every Breath You Take," "Message in a Bottle" or "Roxanne."

And — surprise of surprises — this should guarantee an announcement forthcoming of a huge North American tour, followed by dates in Europe, all beginning in late spring.

But the group will not, I repeat will not, appear at either the Coachella or Glastonbury festivals. There have been rumors to that effect, but my sources say they are untrue.

What is curious about this is all the excitement. It should be very encouraging to Sting, Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland that, after 25 years, news of their reunion is causing a stir. It's possible that the renewed Police on tour would be the highest-grossing road show of all time, surpassing The Rolling Stones and even Paul McCartney's recent top-selling tours.

The big questions now are: Who will open for The Police, and will it be one group or many divided among different regions? Names being bandied about are The Fray, Evanescence and even Virgin's The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus. But don't be surprised if Fiction Plane, the hot group piloted by Sting's son Joe Sumner, gets a slot or two as well.

As for the Grammys, opening with The Police is a brilliant move, and should energize a show that has some obstacles.

For one thing, both Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen wound up in the folk category this year instead of Album of the Year. For the first time, we may see that folk category televised if only to get two of music's heroes on screen.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,248040,00.html

They should do what the Stones did a couple years ago and play different sized venues in each major city.
For example:
NYC: Yankee Stadium, MSG, Irving Plaza
Boston: Gillette Stadium, TD Banknorth Garden, Avalon
etc...
and smaller cities would get at least an arena show.
I agree with the above article that this will rival the Stones in attendance and dollar figures.

One rumour had them playingThe Red Sox baseball Stadium(I'm drawingt a blank on the name - it's got the "green monster")

edit: Fenway Park

They are playing Stadiums in Europe and Arenas in North America. They may do a a festival here or there and maybe Stadiums in the southern hemisphere.

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:
One rumour had them playingThe Red Sox baseball Stadium(I'm drawingt a blank on the name - it's got the "green monster")

edit: Fenway Park

They are playing Stadiums in Europe and Arenas in North America. They may do a a festival here or there and maybe Stadiums in the southern hemisphere.

u2fp

Is that what you believe will happen, or is this information provided by a certain source?

I could see that actually happening - it makes perfect sense. Every year since Springsteen played there, Fenway has hosted one artist's concerts there, and it's usually reserved for the largest touring acts in the U.S. (Springsteen, Stones, Jimmy Buffett, etc.). With U2 seemingly not touring this year, The Police would be the obvious choice.

I'm curious what ticket prices are going to be like. If I had to guess I would think they would do arenas in N. America. If they do that though they will have to play many nights at the same venue like U2 does, which I could see them doing. But it does make touring more of a grind to some bands. Lets hope this tour makes it to the end! :lol: :wink:

The train wreck tour this summer is going to be Van Halen with David Lee Roth. If that makes it all the way through without an implosion I will be shocked.

STING2 said:
Is that what you believe will happen, or is this information provided by a certain source?

we'll know if i'm full of shit or not in about 2 weeks

BTW, I've heard from a friend that drove by the studios and there have been several photographers with telescopic lenses camped outfront. Aside from the limos entering, outsiders don't seem to have seen anything.

I think he was asking if you knew this for a fact from some type of source. I dont think he was trying to challenge you.

Its not a huge deal anyway IMO.

Blue Room said:
I think he was asking if you knew this for a fact from some type of source.

One thing I find quite weird about the entire Police subject is that the "fact" is that Sting has been seen and heard in Vancouver. The rest is educated speculation.

It may well be possible that Sting has yet to sign any documents and could still walk away like he did in 2004.

Blue Room said:
I'm curious what ticket prices are going to be like. If I had to guess I would think they would do arenas in N. America. If they do that though they will have to play many nights at the same venue like U2 does, which I could see them doing. But it does make touring more of a grind to some bands. Lets hope this tour makes it to the end! :lol: :wink:

The train wreck tour this summer is going to be Van Halen with David Lee Roth. If that makes it all the way through without an implosion I will be shocked.

i totally agree with ya in regards to VH. I think the whole VH reunion is a complete joke. I would be surprised too if their tour made it thru the summer.

Blue Room said:

The rumor I heard by some promoter in Canada is that the tour will be shorter than 80 shows. This person said 3 to 4 months which sounds like maybe 50 shows worldwide. If that is the case, there may only be 20 Arena shows for all of North America. Imagine 5 Arena shows in Canada, 2 in Mexico, 13 in the United States. Imagine the difficulty in getting tickets for just ONE arena show each in cities like, New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, Washington DC, LA, Boston, San Francisco, Miami, Dallas, Atlanta, Denver, Phoenix, Detroit.

I can see thousands of fans getting shut out in a situation like that with the supply of tickets not meeting the demand and scalpers getting a good chunk of the tickets and charging hundreds of dollars for each.

Determining the demand to see a band that has not toured in 23 years is not easy, but I hope the bands management will be booking the tour in a way that will allow all the fans that really want to see the band a fair opportunity to.

OK, so, any chance The Police will make it down to Australia? My girlfriend and I would certainly be at any Melbourne concert they play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom