The National: Sunshine on My B&Ck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep, I was at the show as well! The new album sounds pretty great and stands out from the rest of their catalog. I can’t easily slot these songs into their older records. It’s more experimental, layered and willing to move outside of traditional song structures. Plus, there are new musical elements besides the addition of female vocals. I think the tracks with the Brooklyn Youth Choir were among my favorites.

Also, during the Q&A, some guy asked the band why they pretend their first album doesn’t exist. It’s like us with U2 and Pop all over again!

Also, during the Q&A, some guy asked the band why they pretend their first album doesn’t exist. It’s like us with U2 and Pop all over again!

Except The National's first album is atrocious, and Pop is terrific.

I mean, it's hard to judge it from a live performance. They also said that the soundtrack to the movie has alternate versions, so things might change. But I feel they have been able to push forward in an interesting way, while keeping some of their trademark sound.

:up::up: the non-Cherry Tree deluxe 3LP colour vinyl has the versions from the film, I think.

Also, I felt SWB was a step forward for their sound. Imps and I had a good discussion about it, talking about how several reviews of it were negative because of the band's homogenous sound. His take was that for super devoted fans like us there were plenty of things that were experimental for them, but for a less devoted listener, it's a bit of a staid sound.

The homogeneous sound criticism about this band is weak and lazy, in my opinion. People endlessly praise Chromatics, for example, whose every song is in virtually the same tempo and instrumentation.

:up::up: the non-Cherry Tree deluxe 3LP colour vinyl has the versions from the film, I think.

Also, I felt SWB was a step forward for their sound. Imps and I had a good discussion about it, talking about how several reviews of it were negative because of the band's homogenous sound. His take was that for super devoted fans like us there were plenty of things that were experimental for them, but for a less devoted listener, it's a bit of a staid sound.

I ended up getting the Cherry Tree version, which looks awesome. But I might regret not having the film versions... hopefully they will be put on streaming services.

I think that SWB was a somewhat big departure for them in terms of experimentation. Songs like Walt It Back, I'll Still Destroy You and Guilty Party come to mind as examples of new sounds that you cannot really find in earlier albums. And based on the live show, I think the new album will continue to push the experimentation forward. I'm excited.

My vinyl arrived a couple days early. Just listened to it. I need to give it another couple spins to solidify my thoughts but I really enjoyed it. None of the songs struck me as terrible or boring on first listen (like Born to Beg or Runaway). It’s definitely their most layered and experimental work. Feels like an excellent headphones album.

Out of the non-singles, my early favs are Quiet Light, Oblivions, Where Is Her Head, So Far So Fast and Rylan.

I guess I'll be the odd one out and say that I find the album to be an enormous disappointment at this early stage. 65 minutes of slow burn ballads and Matt serving as a background singer for far less distinctive vocalists? Hard pass. Very little stood out, though some passages were very pretty and somewhat surprising coming from this band. So Far So Fast's outro is excellent.

Perhaps the experimentation at play could inspire a much better record in the future, but this is pretty damn weak to their standards on the songwriting front and the limited contributions of one of my favorite singers drove me nuts.

Last edited:
I guess I'll be the odd one out and say that I find the album to be an enormous disappointment at this early stage. 65 minutes of slow burn ballads and Matt serving as a background singer for far less distinctive vocalists? Hard pass. Very little stood out, though some passages were very pretty and somewhat surprising coming from this band. So Far So Fast's outro is excellent.

Perhaps the experimentation at play could inspire a much better record in the future, but this is pretty damn weak to their standards on the songwriting front and the limited contributions of one of my favorite singers drove me nuts.

I had a similar reaction the first time around, although it got slightly better with subsequent listenings.

Nevertheless, I have similar issues with the record - it's just way too plodding and long, and the prevalence of other vocalists is an overkill. I really enjoy it on songs like Where is Her Head and the title track, but it sticks out like a sore thumb in others (there is even an M83-like "narrative" in there). My main issue is that the vocal harmonies with Matt are very much hit-and-miss, and in many cases I think Matt's vocals would have worked better (as witnessed in previous live versions of these songs).

Musically, a lot of it is sounding half-baked and unremarkable to these ears, which is even more emphasised when the fucking thing is 64 minutes long. I do feel that there is a very good 45-minute record here somewhere, and certain songs I am enjoying very much. Light Years is an effective closer, So Far So Fast has that great ending, Where is Her Head sounds especially refreshing since it is actually up-tempo, and the first track is as catchy as The National can get. But there are a few tracks I genuinely and utterly dislike, which is rare with this band.

In some ways, it feels like a Passengers record, like the album was primarily made as a soundtrack to that eponymous movie with Alicia Vikander... but without the stylistic bravado and the songwriting heights of the aforementioned U2 album (or IS it a U2 album?!).

I guess I commend them since the album does represent a change of pace, although musically is not that big of a detour so I feel even that has been overstated a bit.

In any case... this band had done six very good to great albums in a row (plus an amazing EP), and I don't think this is a bad album by any margin, but a downward spiral starts with almost any band. This might be that point for me.

Last edited:
I would like the female vocals more if they worked as a dialogue with Matt or as a Greek chorus of sorts, but I feel like one of my favorite singers is on less than half of his new album in favor of some fairly bland vocal contributions.

Other problems: over-reliance on drum machines when one of the best drummers in indie rock is right there, plus a paucity of sticky, memorable melodies. I still get Nobody Else Will Be There and Day I Die stuck in my head, but I can't remember much of anything from this new album that I just heard.

On the plus side, Light Years is their best closer since Mr. November. That's a keeper.

In some ways, it feels like a Passengers record, like the album was primarily made as a soundtrack to that eponymous movie with Alicia Vikander..

I think this is an apt parallel. I hate how overused this word is in music journalism, but "cinematic" is the probably the best way to describe it. Definitely their least immediate album (not counting the debut).

Rylan is wildly out of place, I think - but the upside there is the song is so much a reflection of its time that it highlights how much the band has grown over the last decade. Hairpin Turns directly into Light Years would have been a hell of a way to end the album.

I also love Lisa Hannigan as a vocalist.

Huge fan of Lisa Hanningan as well. I love the record so far, and will post some thoughts later.

The National doing Broken Social Scene in Where Is Her Head makes me want to run through walls.

I feel like LM and djerdap you've not seen the film? That would explain a lot imo.

From what I have read, the band was ready to take a big break after some pretty punishing recording and touring in recent years. And then Mike Mills came to them, and it's been a collaboration from there. I do think the Passengers comparison is apt (though only because we're all massive U2 nerds, there's not that many similarities otherwise) because it is so collaborative, and the liner notes show that. (I got the Cherry Tree version, and the credits span about four or five pages.)

For context: I saw the film about a week-and-a-half ago, at a local screening at a theatre (followed by a listening party that we ditched cos we couldn't hear the album). I really loved it, having gone in with no expectations. It is a lovely, moving and interesting quarter-hour-long piece of art, and, I would argue, absolutely essential in understanding and appreciating the album. They're seperate, of course, so for casual fans there's no need, but for anyone who's been here so long for The National, I'd argue it's essential viewing.

With that out of the way, I love the album after my first proper listen. Yes: it's inaccessible, it's their Passengers, it's shocking, given the fact that they have such a well-established sound. But that's the first thing I love about this record. It is really daring for them. And you can complain about its one-notedness -- a fair criticism -- but it pushes the boundaries of 'The National' far more than anything else they have done, and I think they deserve a lot of credit for it.

It isn't likely to become my favourite album of theirs, or even close to, which is completely fine, because I have six albums already that fill my traditional National needs. But I am so happy to have something that is really quite different, from the wealth of female vocals, to the really quite experimental song structures, the electronic flourishes that pick up where Sleep Well Beast left off, the instrumentals, the church-y parts, the connection to a film, it really is something totally different and it is an awesome addition to have to my National collection.

In terms of favourite songs so far, mine are You Had Your Soul With You, Quiet Light, I Am Easy to Find, Where is Her Head (which has a gigantic Springsteen vibe), So Far So Fast, Rylan and Light Years, but all the songs are growing on me.

He isn't even that limited. He goes missing a bit on Side C (another point - this album is incredibly well-sequenced for vinyl) but outside of that 15-20 minutes his vocals are there pretty strongly.

In any case... this band had done six very good to great albums in a row (plus an amazing EP), and I don't think this is a bad album by any margin, but a downward spiral starts with almost any band. This might be that point for me.

What are the songs you "genuinely and utterly" dislike? Even taking off my fan hat, I'm not sure what could promote such a visceral reaction. I understand not digging the album based on its largely slow pace, but no songs were bad to my ears. Not in Kansas I can see being divisive, but I still liked it.

Classic djerdap though to write that last paragraph. The end of The National. :eyeroll:

Other problems: over-reliance on drum machines when one of the best drummers in indie rock is right there, plus a paucity of sticky, memorable melodies. I still get Nobody Else Will Be There and Day I Die stuck in my head, but I can't remember much of anything from this new album that I just heard.

On the plus side, Light Years is their best closer since Mr. November. That's a keeper.

You've had SWB for two years, IAETF for a day......

Also, I think there's plenty of great drum lines on this album from yes I agree, one of the very best drummers in indie rock.

(Also, Day I Die is comfortably the worst song on SWB.)

IRylan is wildly out of place, I think - but the upside there is the song is so much a reflection of its time that it highlights how much the band has grown over the last decade.

What do you mean by this? Would love to hear you elaborate.

What do you mean by this? Would love to hear you elaborate.

As you get toward the end of the album, the songs defy expectations in cerebral and (I think) rewarding ways - the hymn-like nature of Dust Swirls, the slightly arrhythmic Hairpin Turns, and then Light Years, which has that familiar percussive piano style but is just off-kilter enough to make it feel unsettling. Then there's Rylan, which has that super-directed, chugging feel and the trying-too-hard-to-be-clever lyrics Matt was flirting with for a while. I feel you can sequence that song pretty much anywhere on High Violet and it would fit right in, whereas nothing else around it feels remotely of that era.

Some Lifes Rich Pageant in Not In Kansas.

Flowers cover over everything.

Last edited:
I shut it off halfway through. I don't care how nice her vocals are, this isn't what I'm here for. Hugely disappointed. Not sure I'll bother finishing it.

Back
Top Bottom