The Indonesian Earthquake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the reasons might be

1) indian security issues - bases of indian army et al
2) only yesterday there was another earthquake at andaman nicobar island - scale 5.9
3) tribal areas in india has generally restricted access
4) indian govt thinks it can manage the aid in nicobar on its own.

etc etc

well i am not sure , these are possible reasons.

:huh:

waves1.jpg

These three photos are courtesy of Oziwee who said

"My other friend got it just before the wave got worse...
it happened in Gurney Drive, Penang, Malaysia"

I've been wondering about this. How is money going to be distributed? I assume they give out money packets. How then is it regulated, and made sure that no one comes back for seconds, or thirds... Surely they have lost their identity cards, and tattoos won't do. How will they keep track of each family hence and keep handing out supplies?

foray

I really dont know. I think in the first instance the aid workers attempt to get the supplies to the nurses to distribute but sometimes they are just throwing supplies out of a helicopter so its survival of the fittest for a little while. Not very fair but its the fastest way. :(

i don't think they're handong out cash, if that's what you mean. as far as i know, the aid organizations are using the monetary donations to purchas food, blankets, water purification, etc. which is then handed out to the affected. but i can't imagine them just tossing out cash.

Hello Friends!
Thanks Beli...you take care too!

I am soo sad for the Acheh people..almost 88% of Acheh and the people are wiped out. What worries me the most is the childrens especially orphaned ones! There have been wave of reports that these childrens are kidnapped and taken for prostitution, sold to couples and some are killed because they wanted to harvest their organs!!!

HONG KONG (AFP) - A woman rescued after five days adrift at sea, children miraculously emerging from the wreckage intact, and some ingenious tales of escape: Asia's tsunami disaster has spawned remarkable stories of survival.

Amid the chaos and misery wrought by the tumultuous waves that shattered the lives of millions of people last week, heart-wrenching cases continue to surface from the devastation.

But they are few and far between, with nearly 150,000 dead and countless more missing.

In one rare success story that stunned rescue workers, Anthony Praveen, 8, opened his eyes and sat up as grave differs were about to bury him in the southern Indian town of Velankanni.

He was in a stupor among a pile of corpses taken from a morgue to be buried at a beach grave and only managed to communicate in the nick of time, Hong Kong's South China Morning Post reported from the town.

Elsewhere, a Malaysian fishing boat rescued an Acehnese woman who had been drifting in the Indian Ocean for five days after being washed away by the force of waves.

Housewife Malawati, 23, was found floating alive Friday not far from the shores of Indonesia's Aceh, the area hardest hit by the December 26 disaster, a Malaysian International Tuna Port official told Bernama news agency.

The woman, sun-burnt and suffering fish bites, was clinging to an uprooted palm trunk which had clusters of fruit on it, helping her get through the ordeal.

"From initial information received from the crew, the woman, with leg injuries, is safe," the official said.

Another amazing tale of survival involved six-year-old Zoe Shiu, who escaped the tragedy that ravaged Thailand's western coast by clinging to a large floating sofa cushion.

The little girl, who has US and Thai passports, was playing in the swimming pool of the Sofitel Magic Lagoon resort in Khao Lak north of Phuket when the onrushing water swept the Andaman coast.

She clung on to the cushion which eventually led her to an overturned boat that a hotel maid was also heading to. The two managed to turn over the boat and got in safely.

The plucky girl is the only one in her family known to have survived and has been flown to Singapore to recover with an aunt, Singapore news reports said.

Tens of thousands of children were killed in the horror of that day, too small and too weak to run or hold onto trees or debris, which makes new-born S. Tulasi extremely lucky to have survived.

The 20-day-old baby was sleeping on a mattress which floated her to safety after Malaysia's Penang island was hit by walls of water, local media reported.

Her mother Annal Mary fought her way through the swirling waters to the room where the baby was sleeping.

"Thank God the mattress was floating in about 1.5 metres (5 feet) of water and my baby was crying," said Suppiah.

Almash Javeed, 10, was found emaciated and barely able to speak after spending four days in the forests of the Andaman Islands after fleeing the chaos that left her an orphan.

"The little girl escaped to the forests and hid there for four days ... She had nothing to eat and little water to drink," MP Manooranjan Bhakta told AFP.

"And then in that condition with great difficulty she along with some other survivors reached Nancouri. She was almost dead."

Badly bruised 13-year-old Meghna Rajshekhar was found alive after drifting at sea on a door for two days.

Meghna was discovered walking in a daze along a beach after clinging to the piece of wood when giant waves swept her, her family and dozens of others off the Indian Ocean's Car Nicobar island.

"This was a miracle in the midst of the disaster the tsunami wrought," the commander of the air base station on Nicobar V.V. Bandhopadhyay said.

Just as remarkable were the tales told by dazed survivors, who dug into their deepest pockets of resolve to beat the odds and live to see another day.

Quick-thinking prevented certain death for Briton Stephen Boulton and his family who were holidaying in the sun-kissed Maldives when disaster struck.

He used the only thing at his disposal -- beach towels -- to save his wife wife Ray, 33, and their children, ages 12, four and 18 months, wading through swirling water to a palm tree where they climbed and tied themselves on.

Anna Serafino, who lives part of the year in Patong, Phuket in Thailand, grabbed a motorcycle and accelerated away seconds before the waves smashed into the village.

"I felt the ground tremble and I got out of my house as quickly as I could," she said. "I grabbed by bike and headed for the hills. I'd hardly reached high ground when I saw a wave three or four meters (nine to 12 feet) high crash down on the village."

When she returned, she found everything destroyed with bodies "floating like dead fishes".

Another Acheh man was found survived today by Malaysians!
wow 8 days at sea clinging to a coconut tree!!! Amazing!

SAVED: Second sea rescue of tsunami survivor
By Jason Gerald

KLANG, JAN 4:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even in a season of remarkable survival stories, a tale of floating on tree branches and debris for nine days and surviving on rainwater may sound unbelievable.
But that is what happened to Rizal Shaputra, an Indonesian man swept into the Indian Ocean after the Dec 26 tsunami lashed his Aceh home.

He was rescued by a container ship yesterday evening.

The crew of the Durban Bridge that was returning to Malaysia from South Africa spotted him about 100 nautical miles from the shores of Aceh.

"It was certainly a miracle that he survived," said a shipping official. Rizal, who subsisted mainly on rainwater, was weak and in shock. He is reported to be in a stable condition.

When the ship berths at Northport early tomorrow morning, he will be rushed to hospital. This was the second rescue of a victim of the tsunami reported here in recent days. On Friday, a Malaysian tuna boat found an Indonesian woman who had held on to a coconut tree trunk for five days in the Indian Ocean after the tsunami swept her out to sea. Malawati, 23, arrived yesterday in Penang, where she is hospitalised. She had been bitten by fish and was traumatised by the ordeal.

Last edited:
I'm just back at work for the first time since the holidays and my office mate knows 5 Americans from here who are missing. There is something fishy about how the missing Americans are being reported (or, rather, not reported). There's hardly anything about it and statistically it doesn't make since that so few Americans are missing. And why isn't there a database set up yet so people can search for the missing here (or if there is I haven't found it yet)? I believe there is one set up in Britain, for example, and there was one here almost immediately after 9/11. I hate to be so cynical but I have a feeling the American casualties could be higher than 9/11 and perhaps the Bush administration is a little freaked out that a natural catastrophe that happened in another part of the world might eclipse the 9/11 coattails he's been riding on. I know, horribly cynical...I hope I'm very wrong.

Joyfulgirl: I know what you mean, or at least i think. My view is, people are people, who cares if they're American or not.
Maybe that's not what what you were trying to say....i dont know.
I have a friend whose mom is from Indonesia (and he, at least, has lived there too). I wrote him an email asking if he was okay, but...no response yet.:(

PennyPyro said:
My view is, people are people, who cares if they're American or not.
Maybe that's not what what you were trying to say....i dont know.

Not quite what I was trying to say but I agree with you. I don't know exactly what I was trying to say, actually, lol...but here in America the media tends to make everything about America and so when there is sketchy information about American loss of life it just feels...weird.

Anyway, I just got an email from a writer I worked with last year who spends the winters in Thailand and I was worried about him, but he is safe in the north and his wife has gone down south to help in the crisis. I hope you hear from your friend soon, Penny. :hug:

One of my teachers at the studio just came back from Cambodia last night. The part of the country he was in wasn't hurt, but they also didn't have TV's or any other kind of media so they couldn't pick up much news. They heard about the tsunami, of course, and the tragic news about the many deaths. But there were no deaths in the area and all of his friends are OK.

joyfulgirl said:

Not quite what I was trying to say but I agree with you. I don't know exactly what I was trying to say, actually, lol...but here in America the media tends to make everything about America and so when there is sketchy information about American loss of life it just feels...weird.

Anyway, I just got an email from a writer I worked with last year who spends the winters in Thailand and I was worried about him, but he is safe in the north and his wife has gone down south to help in the crisis. I hope you hear from your friend soon, Penny. :hug:

It's because details are sketchy. We have three lists here in Australia;

Dead (17 as of today)
Missing (Another 20 or so)
Unaccounted For (500 or so)

There's a difference between 'missing' ("we saw him get pulled under the water and haven't seen him since") and unaccounted for ("He hasn't called home in 2 weeks and we think he was in that town").

I think they are trying to not freak out about massive casualties, when it may or may not be the case.

I also think they are waiting to confirm deaths before they announced number of dead. The problem is that at this point they are so busy just collecting bodies they don't have access to records yet to confirm if this is the dead person they think it is.

Amazing. I've been reading some of the stories on here and it still blows me away. The death and destruction is so widespread and it's not like 9/11. You can't blame someone or go to war with someone in retaliation.

joyfulgirl....

If you read the New York Post they had a story in last Friday's edition about online sites set up to help desperate familes, American and otherwise. It was on the bottom of page 3. I can't remember all the addy's listed in the article but on of them was www.p-h-u-k-e-t.com. There were a couple more. You can go to the NewYorkPost.com and contact someone at that site for the article. The story also mentioned at least 2 "online morgues" where people could identify the dead?!?! (Tastefully, and thankfully, that address was not given.)

I'm sure if you get on the site I mentioned above there are links to others.

If you are searching for someone God bless you and I hope "you find what (whom) you're looking for."

Last edited:
Wow, the link works? No other links on the homepage. but the Forums work. Hope this helps anyone who needs it. I know it's for Phuket, but I'm sure Westerners use this site to look in other places as well.

I think in the Forums you can ask and if there is any word on a US database, it would be there.

Last edited:
The asia earthquake was a great tragedy and it's great the world is coming together to help out, but does anyone else find it sad that it takes a world disaster to bring people together like this?

COLOMBO, Sri Lanka (AP) - Sri Lankan authorities are investigating an alleged attempt to sell two children orphaned by last month's tsunami, a police officer said Wednesday.

A 60-year-old man tried to sell the children, ages 12 and 13, in Balapitiya, near the hard-hit southern city of Galle, said police officer W.D.T. Wijesena. Police were tipped off of the sale and arrested the man on Tuesday, he said.

The suspect was released on bail, Wijesena said. He didn't give details about the suspect or the attempted sale, and said the authorities were still investigating the case.

The fate of the children was not immediately clear.

The children are among scores who lost their parents in the Dec. 26 tsunami that killed about 31,000 people in this island country.

The United Nations and international aid agencies have expressed concerned that child traffickers could take advantage of the situation and try to sell orphans into forced labor or the sex trade.

Sri Lanka, like neighboring India, has strict rules on adoption, and has said it will not change those regulations despite the tsunami.

We also had a fund-raiser for the tsunami victims at my church, I don't have any figures right now as it was part of a diocese-wide collection for Catholic Relief Services. I think the figures will be in next week's bulletin. The diocese had already sent $50,000, this collection should be much bigger.

Last edited:
BANDA ACEH, Indonesia (Reuters) - The global death toll from the Asian tsunami shot above 226,000 Wednesday after Indonesia's Health Ministry confirmed the deaths of tens of thousands of people previously listed as missing.

Back
Top Bottom