The Indonesian Earthquake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pearl said:
And why couldn't they go some place else if they wanted to go to the beach, like Hawaii or Tahiti? I know they paid a lot for their vacations, but still.

On a side note, the countries that were effected by tsuamis are much cheaper than Hawaii and Tahiti. The accomodation is really expensive in both these places.

Many of the tourists that travel to the Asian countries discussed are Australian. For people here in Perth, Indonesia is closer than Sydney and about half the price.

Hawaii is part of the USA and has similar high prices to the USA. As for Tahiti, all of those French islands are famous for being really expensive.

Even for people coming from Europe, Asian countries are very cheap. The accomodation and food is affordable for many people.

Not that it matters, I just wanted to point out that someone who can afford to visit to Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand etc many not be able to afford to visit Hawaii or Tahiti. ie they may not be able to afford to "go some place else"

peace

Last edited:
The Thai ambassador to Britain was on the BBC news yesterday encouraging travellers who were planning to visit during the rest of the tourist season to still come and holiday in Thailand. Apparently, there are many places in Thailand not affected by the tsunami and their government is encouraging people to still vacation there. I agree that going to a beach where large numbers of people died a few days before and where bodies may be still washing ashore and families still seeking loved ones is very, very insensitive.

I'm sure there is no way people could go to most places hit by the tsunami for many more months. Their infrastructure has been shattered and they are in no position to welcome visitors. I also imagine many people who live in that area will have a difficult time settling near the ocean after such a horrific experience. Relief efforts are focused on physical needs but milllions of these people are going to suffer mental anguish from this tragedy also. Unfortunately, they are so poor they probably have no choice but to stay where they are and do the best that they can because they can't just go their therapist for a session.

BTW, Teta040, don't give up on your U2 concert. After this past year, we all need a joyful experience in our lives to feel good. If you wish to save money for donating sacrifice a small pleasure you enjoy whether it be Starbucks coffee or whatever and put that money towards a donation. I have already donated and have put up donation sheets at work. It's not much either but it all adds up. Power of numbers baby! And your rant, hey that's why its called Free Your Mind. Nothing to be sorry about. I'm glad to see you are human like most of us.

Peace out

fah said:
The tsunami came ashore on the west coast of North America today - all 8 cm of it.

Where did you find that info, fah? Normally Dampier (where I grew up) receives a bit of run off from Indonesian tsunamis. At least they used to when I was little. I was wondering how many centimetres hit Dampier?

Not that it matters. It was obviously so insignifant to not warrant mentioning. But if you received 8 cms I would expect Dampier to have received more.

Just curious. If you should happen to stumble across any more info, please let me now. Ta.

Update and correction....

I just spoke with Mr fah who said that he had been talking another emerg planner types who said that the wave came ashore yesterday and was most noticeable on the Oregon Coast at 8 to 10 cm. He will try to find out where he got his info tomorrow at work.

Just a side note. We have travelled on the Oregon Coast several times and there are signs (very well marked) advising of evacuation routes for Tsunamis.

Lets hope that once the most urgent needs are taken care of there will still be enough aid and interest to get tsunami warning devices in the areas (and others that need them too). Just think how many lives could have been saved with as little as an hour of well broadcast warning.

Aussie said:
I posted before about my sister and family being in Phuket when the tidal wave hit. They are all home now, all pretty traumatised. My brother-in-law is in hospital with a badly infected leg, he came out of the airport in a wheelchair. This is going to take them all years to get over. My 10 year old neice is just laying on the lounge, I think she's still in shock. They are all very lucky that they could get on a plane and fly home, those poor locals have got nothing.

Wow :hug:. Thank goodness they're all alive-shame that they're traumatized and one's in a wheelchair, though, I'm sorry to hear that :(. Not that I blame those who are traumatized. Hopefully things will improve for them soon. And meegannie, I hope those flatmates of yours are okay.

My dad told me something the other day that was rather scary. He was checking out the science section of Yahoo, and there was a news story in there saying that the earthquake was so strong that it actually knocked our earth off orbit for a very brief second. Thankfully, it's back to normal, but geez...I'd hate to see what an even stronger earthquake could potentially do. I had no clue that that could happen...that's frightening.

Also, didn't hear about the rest of the tsunami hitting the western part of North America...man, this whole thing is just insanely strong. If it wasn't really big news, though, I'm assuming it wasn't too serious, which is a relief, 'cause I have relatives who live in California.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

Also, didn't hear about the rest of the tsunami hitting the western part of North America...man, this whole thing is just insanely strong. If it wasn't really big news, though, I'm assuming it wasn't too serious, which is a relief, 'cause I have relatives who live in California.

Angela

8cm is a teeny tiny wave, less than a foot high wave.

Moonlit_Angel said:
My dad told me something the other day that was rather scary. He was checking out the science section of Yahoo, and there was a news story in there saying that the earthquake was so strong that it actually knocked our earth off orbit for a very brief second. Thankfully, it's back to normal, but geez...I'd hate to see what an even stronger earthquake could potentially do. I had no clue that that could happen...that's frightening.

Well, according to NASA scientists, the quake has caused the Earth to speed up its rotation. Granted, 3 microseconds isn't that much, but it is a permanent change.
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle....I2CRBAELCFFA?type=scienceNews&storyID=7195443

:ohmy:

Marty

Thanks beli, for the information. I had no idea about the prices, and it was no problem you clarified all that.

originally posted by sue4u2
With all due respect Pearl, It's impossible to imagine these people being anything but gloomy and depressed. Maybe they could have waited for another time, but when was the last time you went 6 months without a paycheck. If I was a business there, and could, I would be back up and running for my own sanity as well as the suvivors. Sitting around being gloomy doesn't help anyone or pay the bills. These areas depend almost entirely on tourist dollars for their livelyhood.
I don't know which article is being talked about here, but it doesn't matter. I HAVE been 6 months without a paycheck, and happen to know what that is like. I don't want to even imagine what these people are going thru trying to decide if they should open again or not.
I don't mean you any disrespect, honestly.. but it's not unspeakable to want to get back to something that resembles something close to normal.

Actually, it does matter what article was being talked about, because then you would've understood why I said what I said.

And don't say you didn't mean any disrespect, because you did. You twisted my words around and made insults at me. I wasn't referring to the business owners when I said "wait six months". What I meant was the tourists who were sunbathing on a beach just days after so many people were swept out to sea, and when I said they should've waited, I didn't mean that literally.

As for whether I've gone six months without a paycheck, that was uncalled for. You don't know anything about me, so don't attack me to make your point.

Last edited:
I think the people in the area need aid (obviously), but they also want their economy not to completely die, so, yeah, I can see that the business owners do want to get things up and running again if at all possible. And to do that they need tourists, so I can't really say that people should wait six months before going back. For a lot of people that would just send them deeper into poverty.

Yeah, if a country's economy depends on tourism, which quite a few do, it's horrible for them to stop getting tourists. Many livelihoods depend on tourists showing up. It's hard to think of everything when you're turning on the news and you see piles of bodies, etc, etc. I don't want a whole bunch of people to lose their jobs. That's the last damn thing they need.

Pearl said:

And don't say you didn't mean any disrespect, because you did. You twisted my words around and made insults at me.

You don't know anything about me, so don't attack me to make your point.

I'm sorry Pearl. I don't want to fight over this, it's just too sad.
Your are right, I don't know you anymore than you know me.
With that said however, when I say I don't mean any disrespect, I truly mean it. It wasn't my intention to twist your words or seem as if I was attacking you. I sometimes come across that way when I type in an emotional state. I'm working on that. Again, I am sorry and do understand what you were trying to say.
Peace and Happy New Year.:heart:

You as well, Sue. I understand what you mean by getting emotional about some issues.
Take care! :wave: :heart:

Last edited:
I don't know about y'all but since this whole ordeal the world, to me, has seemed like a much smaller place. Countries all over are coming together because they ALL have victims in this, rich and poor. Language barriers are not a problem, because there are no words to describe this. Unfortunately it took such a tragedy with so many lives lost to bring people of all nations together. But at least we are together.

Moonlit_Angel said:

You don't need to worry about that. No planet can spontaneously shift orbits on its own like that, earthquake or not. And if it actually did get knocked off orbit, it's impossible for it to just return to normal, so we're okay.

The thing about the rotation speeding up is true though.

For as far as I know, it hasn't been knocked into a different orbit but the Earth's axis has tilted an extra 2.5 cm.

A girl born 2 days ago is named Tsunami in Andamans ( India). Her mother just about managed to survive the Tsunami.

Believe it or not -

The name "literally" in local language means a good-named person.

Tsu or Su - means Good
Nam - means Name
Nami - means the one having the name.

That's so strange, to name a baby Tsunami, after all of this. I'm not familiar with nomenclature traditions in India, it just seems strange to me.

verte76 said:
That's so strange, to name a baby Tsunami, after all of this. I'm not familiar with nomenclature traditions in India, it just seems strange to me.

Im not familiar with Indian traditions but Indonesians sometimes name their children after where they were born. I have meet a few people called "kitchen".
I wouldnt be at all suprised if theres a few bubs called Tsunami.

Just one more...

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=647471

Why does it have to be so difficult to distribute food?? I would've thought that aircrafts would make it infinitely simpler. I am frustrated and I feel for those there trying to help but can't due to logistics.

Why is access being restricted? Can someone explain this?
"Tempers flared in India's remote Andaman and Nicobar islands, where outside access was still being restricted while hundreds of bodies lay decomposing in the open."

"But the administration is refusing to allow us access to some regions and this is extremely frustrating."

foray

beli said:

Im not familiar with Indian traditions but Indonesians sometimes name their children after where they were born. I have meet a few people called "kitchen".
I wouldnt be at all suprised if theres a few bubs called Tsunami.

I have an Indonesian friend who's entire and only name is Sri Wadaningsih. She receieved the name of 'the holy person who [did something or other]' at her birth.
Class name though. :up:

Fors, I cant explain that at all, but does it have something to do with disease or something? If the area is a health or safety risk, could that be the cause? Still doesn't make much sense though when that is the whole point of emergency aid, getting through in difficult and adverse situations.

Back
Top Bottom