The Edge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gonna Run 2 U

New Yorker
Do you guys ever feel that the edge holds himself back? We all know he is not known for extravagant guitar solos but rather for his signature sound. Do you ever think he just wants to wail out something crazy on a song but holds back because of the whole U2 is a sum of parts kind of thing not a one man's band? In some live shows he has let out some really cool guitar solo's..i'd like to see more of that in the future from him in studio recordings.

I like the title of this thread

I think he plays what he feels is right for the song. He's no shredding metal guitarist, but I don't think he shows his full ability on recordings. But that doesn't really mean he's "holding back," he's just playing what works. Although it's true that U2 has a certain sound and if he just soloed for five minutes in a song, it wouldn't really fit. So that could be a factor, but I'm sure ultimately he plays what he wants to. He doesn't like to show off.

I like the title of this thread

I think he plays what he feels is right for the song. He's no shredding metal guitarist, but I don't think he shows his full ability on recordings. But that doesn't really mean he's "holding back," he's just playing what works. Although it's true that U2 has a certain sound and if he just soloed for five minutes in a song, it wouldn't really fit. So that could be a factor, but I'm sure ultimately he plays what he wants to. He doesn't like to show off.

Agree 100%. :up:

Nice thread :up:

For me, The Edge never does too much but always manages to stay fresh and keeps me coming back for more. His solos are never too long or excessive. They are carefully constructed and perfectly inserted into the songs. Edge often gives the music that factor that makes you want to rewind the song or listen to it again and again and again, live and in the studio...so I'm fine with what he's been doing :shrug:

The problem with Edge including solos in the studio album that would normally only be played live is that they will simply sound different live than in the studio. He has said in multiple interviews that many of his ideas go through such a distinct transformation from the studio to the stage that he simply cannot include certain things in the album that he will eventually play during a live show. So I don't think it's a matter of whether or not he is maximizing his ability or showcasing his true talent or not.

I do sometimes get that feeling, yeah. When I first started listening to bootlegs, I'd hear the solos on Bullet or Lovetown versions of Desire and wonder, "Where the hell did THAT come from? Wow." On the other hand, it's really refreshing for a lead guitarist to be so dedicated to ensemble playing; wanting him to play more solos is sort of missing the point of the Edge in the first place, y'know? When he does bust one out, it makes it all the more special.

Edge is a perfectionist, and I definitely think he holds back, probably because he's worried that anything less than perfection will somehow disappoint fans. I would love to see him really let loose, either on a track in the studio or live. I think he'd make all of our jaws drop. Not that he doesn't do that sometimes already, but it would be cool to just see him relax a little bit and veer away from the safe, close-to-perfect route he usually takes. I'm not talking 10-minute solos or anything, just a little improvisation now and then. Spontaneity is the one thing I feel like the last few U2 tours have really been lacking, and I feel like a bit more of it could revive even the most repetitive set lists. But what do I know? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom