The dark side of the rainbow....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great minds BonoVox.

That's the really fascinating thing about biggotted U2 fans - do you guys plug your ears when they play Pride or MLK? Did you hide under your chair at Vertigo shows when they read the declaration for human rights? Do you realize that your favorite band would be disgusted with your views that do not embrace diversity and everybody's differences? I may be an atheist but I can respect Bono's spirituality, especially his belief that it's for God alone to judge people. Who are you to judge others in the name of God?

Last edited:
Justin24 said:
If something is Holy and Sacred it should be respected correct? So don't you think it would be insulting to muslims, Jews and Christians to throw a party (Gay Parade, Nazi Rally or what ever)

Be gald I am not a moderator....You would be enjoying a vacation from the forum.

How the hell can you equate being Gay with being a Nazi?

I came into this thread thinking that it would be about the Dark Side of the Moon/Wizard of Oz sync.

I now leave this thread horribly offended and disappointed.

:banghead:

Varitek said:
Great minds BonoVox.

That's the really fascinating thing about biggotted U2 fans - do you guys plug your ears when they play Pride or MLK? Did you hide under your chair at Vertigo shows when they read the declaration for human rights? Do you realize that your favorite band would be disgusted with your views that do not embrace diversity and everybody's differences? I may be an atheist but I can respect Bono's spirituality, especially his belief that it's for God alone to judge people. Who are you to judge others in the name of God?

I respect and wish MLK was never killed by a biggoted person(s) I listened to the Decleration of Human Rights. Let's see where did I say I hated Gay people no where so stop putting words in my mouth. Obviously for an atheist like you, you seem more hateful as to put words in my mouth.

You seem to be judging me. What have you done to help your fellow man, woman or child????????

Dreadsox said:

Be gald I am not a moderator....You would be enjoying a vacation from the forum.

I never compared them to fucking Nazi's, but you seem to twist that to fit your taste. Dread I know you are Former Military and do you think that Skin Heads and KKK Members have a right to protest, even though they are some of the most evil SOB's in the world??

What I am saying is if they can have there Gay Parade in Jerusalem, then I think other groups should have a right to also since some think it's not sacred ground.

[Q]I never compared them to fucking Nazi's, but you seem to twist that to fit your taste.[/Q]

There is no twist.....you said it....not me......

AchtungBono said:
Every year, the Israeli gay and lesbian community have the annual gay pride parade in Tel-Aviv. It is attended by thousands of the gay community and supporters.

This year, the organizers have decided to hold the parade in Jerusalem which ,as everyone knows, is Judaism's holiest city, as well as being the holy city for Christians and Muslims too.

While Israel is truly a democratic country, the decision to hold the parade in Jerusalem (which has a predominate ultra-religious community) has been met with controversy and violence from the religious communities (as you can see in the article below).

you attached the wrong article

Flier Offers NIS 20,000 for Killing Gays
Tuesday, July 11, 2006 / 15 Tammuz 5766

(IsraelNN.com) A leaflet distributed in several neighborhoods in Jerusalem offered NIS 20,000 ($5000.US )to anyone who kills participants in the International Gay Pride Parade scheduled to take place in Jerusalem next month.

The flier also suggested that fire bombs be used to kill the participants and gave instructions on how to construct them.

The parade has generated much opposition from many religious groups in the city who are opposed to the holding of such a parade in Jerusalem. Public opinion polls show that the vast majority of Jerusalem residents are against the parade.

Later this week, a police report is expected to be issued as to whether the parade is considered a security risk. If the report determines that it is, the parade may be cancelled.

When I put Gay parade and Nazi in the same line it was only example and I was not comparing them to Nazis. So let's say I put Christian coalition or Comicon or others what would you say then??

Dread I never Ever said I hated GAY people!

Flier Offers NIS 20,000 for Killing Gays
Tuesday, July 11, 2006 / 15 Tammuz 5766

(IsraelNN.com) A leaflet distributed in several neighborhoods in Jerusalem offered NIS 20,000 ($5000.US )to anyone who kills participants in the International Gay Pride Parade scheduled to take place in Jerusalem next month.

The flier also suggested that fire bombs be used to kill the participants and gave instructions on how to construct them.

The parade has generated much opposition from many religious groups in the city who are opposed to the holding of such a parade in Jerusalem. Public opinion polls show that the vast majority of Jerusalem residents are against the parade.

Later this week, a police report is expected to be issued as to whether the parade is considered a security risk. If the report determines that it is, the parade may be cancelled.

So wrong. But I wonder how many will now jump up and down and say must be them Christians.

DaveC said:
I came into this thread thinking that it would be about the Dark Side of the Moon/Wizard of Oz sync.

I now leave this thread horribly offended and disappointed.

:banghead:

OMG me too!!! It was like a mirage or something :sad:

I think it was a novel idea to do a parade in Jerusalem. The message there is that the people in the 3 dominant religions affiliated with the city can open their eyes and truly see people of the homosexual community as Children of God just as themselves.

The horrid reaction to this simple message makes me think society as a whole is a lot further behind than I had originally thought in terms of equal justice.

Dreadsox said:

Read it again, Dreadsox. He did not equate or even compare being gay with being a Nzai.

Somebody tell me: these belief systems being spoken of...these universal truths...these supposed actual words of Yahweh, Jesus and Allah...are they really lame and weak? So weak that their followers shake in their boots when a harmless parade comes by for a couple hours?

I want a God that's strong and doesn't get scared of a parade. And, hey, one that maybe even likes the harmless people in the parade and doesn't want them killed.

Can somebody pass along a God like that?

Last edited:
Justin24 said:
When I put Gay parade and Nazi in the same line it was only example and I was not comparing them to Nazis.

Your precise words: "So don't you think it would be insulting to muslims, Jews and Christians to throw a party (Gay Parade, Nazi Rally or what ever)" - you're saying a Nazi rally is a party on equal footing with a gay pride parade with equal power to offend.

When you equate a gay pride parade with a Nazi rally (which is exactly what you did - we can all read), you're making an implicit comparison.

No, you never said "Nazis and Gays are the same". But you implied it.

You honestly never thought about what that kind of comparison suggests?

I'm with Dread on this - if I were a moderator I'd be having a serious discussion with the rest of the forum staff right now.

:sigh:

Justin24 said:

You seem to be judging me. What have you done to help your fellow man, woman or child?

Hundreds of hours of volunteer work in Ghana and Uganda. A career that will be devoted to development. A million other service activities. Not telling a group of people that they are equatable to Nazis.

And yes, a parade and a march are, in this case, the same thing.

Varitek said:

Hundreds of hours of volunteer work in Ghana and Uganda. A career that will be devoted to development. A million other service activities. Not telling a group of people that they are equatable to Nazis.

And yes, a parade and a march are, in this case, the same thing.

Believe what you want, but I did not mean to put The Gays as Equal to the Nazi's. And sorry if I did. But dont be judging me as a biggot, because I am not. I don't hate anyone.

Judah said:
Somebody tell me: these belief systems being spoken of...these universal truths...these supposed actual words of Yahweh, Jesus and Allah...are they really lame and weak? So weak that their followers shake in their boots when a harmless parade comes by for a couple hours?

I want a God that's strong and doesn't get scared of a parade. And, hey, one that maybe even likes the harmless people in the parade and doesn't want them killed.

IMG_0072.jpg

Justin24 said:
When I put Gay parade and Nazi in the same line it was only example and I was not comparing them to Nazis. So let's say I put Christian coalition or Comicon or others what would you say then??

Dread I never Ever said I hated GAY people!

If you had said "Gay Pride, Christian Coalition, whatever" that would have been one thing. I'm not sure what Comicon, being an economic trade arrangement between Russia and other Soviet bloc countries, has to do with anything. But you did choose, of all things, to use the phrase "Gay Pride, Nazi Party, whatever," not overtly stating but implying to anybody with reading comprehension on a basic level that Gay Pride parades and Nazi Parties belong in the same category.

Varitek said:

If you had said "Gay Pride, Christian Coalition, whatever" that would have been one thing. I'm not sure what Comicon, being an economic trade arrangement between Russia and other Soviet bloc countries, has to do with anything. But you did choose, of all things, to use the phrase "Gay Pride, Nazi Party, whatever," not overtly stating but implying to anybody with reading comprehension on a basic level that Gay Pride parades and Nazi Parties belong in the same category.

Comicon was a comic Book Convetion type thing.

And as I said before I am sorry. Do you all forgive me.

We forgive ya J :up: just be careful when you list groups in such a manner. Often times, juxtapositioning is used to establish a point. And we all thought you were making one which you apparently did not intend to make.

Justin, I'm not a premium member so I can't reply to your pm in private, but it is nice ^ to see you actually say "I am sorry." Of course a pride parade in Jerusalem is not going to be "hunkydory" - I don't really think the organizers were going for "hunkydory," I think they were going for awareness. I think they wanted, as somebody said upthread, to show 3 religions that they are human beings, children of God if you believe that, too. I think they want acceptance, and as MLK knew, avoidance is not the path to acceptance.

redhotswami said:
We forgive ya J :up: just be careful when you list groups in such a manner. Often times, juxtapositioning is used to establish a point. And we all thought you were making one which you apparently did not intend to make.

Don't count me in that "we all".

I saw it for what it was - examples of parades/rallies that would be offensive to Muslims, Jews and Christians. It was a simple listing of , not equating or comparing anything.

Judah said:

Excellent post.

80sU2isBest said:

I saw it for what it was - examples of parades/rallies that would be offensive to Muslims, Jews and Christians. It was a simple listing of , not equating or comparing anything.

This statement shames the millions of Muslims, Jews and Christians around the world (and in Jerusalem) who are gay or who are not offended by gay people.

80sU2isBest said:

I didn't, thats why I didn't say "we all", which is quite evident in your quotation of my text. If I had in fact said "we all" then I could see why you wanted to jump in to clarify.

But I didn't. I'm only speaking for those of us to whom it applied. It was very nice of Justin to apologize and ask for forgiveness, so I wanted to respond to that.

redhotswami said:

I didn't, thats why I didn't say "we all", which is quite evident in your quotation of my text. If I had in fact said "we all" then I could see why you wanted to jump in to clarify.

But I didn't. I'm only speaking for those of us to whom it applied. It was very nice of Justin to apologize and ask for forgiveness, so I wanted to respond to that.

You didn't say "we all"?

Then what is this?

"And we all thought you were making one which you apparently did not intend to make."

Back
Top Bottom