The Crystal Ballroom - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ralph.gif

Your gifs are always spectacular.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

Hmm not sure if I agree with this, as cd singles have historically included on the same physical disc same side, 1 or 2 other songs that we call b-sides, the accompanying songs to a single.

And therein lies the rub: the singles haven't been released yet! We don't know what the b-sides will be..for all we know they could be album tracks. Or not. Wasn't Bullet a b-side to In Gods? I forget, something like that. And look what it became.

For now, all we know is that these are 11 bonus tracks of varying quality. The end. How this is even an argument is mind boggling.

Sent from my ass crack

Yeah, we have no idea what B-sides, if any, we might get to go with the singles - if the album even has traditional singles. I would be very surprised to see tracks from the deluxe edition become actual B-sides, but as you say, U2 has done stranger things before. Although, I guess Bullet as a B-side to IGC would technically be a double-A side, right?

LOL

Sorry, I wasn't particularly clear. I 100% agree with you Gabe, but I was saying that if people wanted to argue symantics, you couldn't call what we conventionally know as cd b-sides anything other than bonus tracks, because they aren't actually on the b-side of the disc. That is the literal, symantic interpretation of the term. Of course, language is an organism that grows, changes, mutates and adapts to environments and words alter their meaning over time, and as such, the term 'b-side' is a legitimate name for the bonus songs on a cd single. The term has just been extrapolated over time to cover all songs that are in addition to the actual album that are released as bonus tracks throughout the album cycle. And to deny that last point, but not deny that cd b-sides aren't really b-sides would be being obtusely selective and ignorant to further an argument.

Agreed!

Sent from my ass crack

On the issue of cd singles, I don't think we're going to get any for this album, right? I believe I read somewhere that Universal stopped making cd singles as of last year. Kind of depressing, I always liked the over-priced little buggers.

We may have just gotten all of the "b-sides" we're going to get for SOI as the disc 2 bonus tracks.

On the issue of cd singles, I don't think we're going to get any for this album, right? I believe I read somewhere that Universal stopped making cd singles as of last year. Kind of depressing, I always liked the over-priced little buggers.

We may have just gotten all of the "b-sides" we're going to get for SOI as the disc 2 bonus tracks.

In a twist of irony to the argument going on here, the majority if physical singles these days are vinyl, and they actually have literal b-sides.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I'm just trying to drive my post count up so I can get into The Hive™

The Hive™ has been disbanded. Through my Herculean efforts, I was able to peel off enough members that this Orwellian society collapsed upon itself. Once once I convinced Cobbler to abandon it, the rest of The Hive™ folded like a deck of cards.

You're a smart guy Dan Smee; don't give into bleak conformity. You, mate, are more than you post count. :hug:

The Hive™ has been disbanded. Through my Herculean efforts, I was able to peel off enough members that this Orwellian society collapsed upon itself. Once once I convinced Cobbler to abandon it, the rest of The Hive™ folded like a deck of cards.

You're a smart guy Dan Smee; don't give into bleak conformity. You, mate, are more than you post count. :hug:

Aw thanks Nick.

I don't see how the existence of the one disc version of the album makes disc two of the album, in the full version, a collection of 11 B-sides. That doesn't follow.

The album arrived today. It had 22 songs (plus one extra track on the vinyl.) That's that.

You are seriously the most obstinate person I may have ever seen on this forum.

Be aware that everyone reading this thread probably thinks you're an idiot or a troll. I have yet to see one person agreeing with your magic bullet-esque theories.

The OFFICIAL website is calling this a bonus disc, with bonus tracks. They are part of your purchase, part of what you may be holding in your hands, but they are NOT part of the album proper. If you can't understand the difference, you may have trouble holding down a job, even at a fast food establishment. Imagine how many orders you would fuck up in terms of ingredients that should/should not be on various sandwiches?

I like the Rolling Stones vibe. Very catchy tune. And, again, Adam really stands out. Really found the funk on this one!

Soundcloud.com/re2374

Jumping up and down and telling me that I'm wrong is not an argument. It doesn't sway me or anyone else in any direction. It's just an emotional outburst.

As I I've said, if there were a couple songs on disc two, I would agree they were just a couple of bonus tracks. But not 11. Invisible is not a B-side. The Crystal Ballroom is not a B-side. Disc 2 doesn't have to be all new material in a double CD release. I mentioned the example of the Cure before. Their first disc was a Best-Of CD and disc two was all acoustic, and that was considered a double album. Rattle & Hum was half new songs and half live, and that was arguably a double album. The best of 1980-1990 and 1990-2000 CDs had almost no new songs and yet they were considered double albums.

In my judgement, this is a double album. Disc one is all new songs. Disc two is a combination of new songs and new takes. All 23 songs (including the 12 inch Crystal Ballroom) were "on the album."

There is zero use debating with you, as if you can't see that this isn't a double album, and that disc 2 is a bonus disc, then i really can't help you, as there is no coming back from whatever grand world of delusion you're currently living on.

Indeed. Hey, did you buy ATYCLB? That was a "2 CD" release also, and thus, I guess, a double album apparently. I'm looking at it right now...and there's a beautiful song called Summer Rain on the second disc.

As for repeatedly trying to explain this to the permanently obtuse...

City Slickers VCR scene - YouTube

:lol: ATYCLB for me had this great song called 'the ground beneath her feet'. U2 released 2 double albums in 2000????

I don't see how the existence of the one disc version of the album makes disc two of the album, in the full version, a collection of 11 B-sides. That doesn't follow.

The album arrived today. It had 22 songs (plus one extra track on the vinyl.) That's that.

If the existence of the standard album doesn't change that it is a bonus disc, then HTDAAB had Fast Cars. Period. Even though it was only the deluxe version that included it (see SOI), and it was announced as a bonus song not on the album (also, see SOI).

There is zero use debating with you, as if you can't see that this isn't a double album, and that disc 2 is a bonus disc, then i really can't help you, as there is no coming back from whatever grand world of delusion you're currently living on.

I think it is an attempt to save some face after the last round of 'talking to a brick wall' where the argument was presented that The Troubles wasn't the album closer. Fun times. The result is obviously that even more credibility is lost.

All this discussion only because some don't think the song is great and so try to prove that "The Crystal Ballroom" is not album-worthy.
Well, I think that "Fast Cars" not only sounds finished as my HTDAAB includes it in order of other deletable songs. Same for "The Crystal Ballroom" which is better than two thirds of the album and (surprise!) even got the right to have a 12" Mix.

All this discussion only because some don't think the song is great and so try to prove that "The Crystal Ballroom" is not album-worthy.

That's not what the discussion is about. At all. I think most people really like the song. The discussion is about whether you can call it a true double album because a deluxe edition has a cd of bonus tracks.

Well, I think that "Fast Cars" not only sounds finished as my HTDAAB includes it in order of other deletable songs. Same for "The Crystal Ballroom" which is better than two thirds of the album and (surprise!) even got the right to have a 12" Mix.

Yes, you're right. That is half of what it's about.

But the other half is the same gang of trolls who turn every minor disagreement on this forum into a big dramatic questioning of the offending poster's sanity.

They won't allow for anyone to disagree with even minor semantic points, no matter how politely they might do so. That's all these "debates" are ever about.

But the other half is the same gang of trolls who turn every minor disagreement on this forum into a big dramatic questioning of the offending poster's sanity.

They won't allow for anyone to disagree with even minor semantic points, no matter how politely they might do so. That's all these "debates" are ever about.

It isn't a case of disagreeing, it's actually a black and white 'right vs wrong' argument.

Just listened to this song.

I don't have the words, I really don't.

Anyone who says this song is a "nice B-side" or its "one of their best b-sides", I'm sorry but this song is not a b-side. This is a really good tune.

If the album is love, this song is sex!

Fuck.....I believe the hype (sorry Nick, this isn't a "Mercy" euphoria, this is much more special).

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Just shut up already.

Please go away.

Just listened to this song.

I don't have the words, I really don't.

Anyone who says this song is a "nice B-side" or its "one of their best b-sides", I'm sorry but this song is not a b-side. This is a really good tune.

If the album is love, this song is sex!

Fuck.....I believe the hype (sorry Nick, this isn't a "Mercy" euphoria, this is much more special).

I still hear when the chorus starts : "all the weirdos in the world are here right now in New York City..."

It's OK man, I like the song too. :up: Just take a deep breath. :)

I have had this song on repeat for a half hour now. I have a huge smile on my face listening to this song and I can't help it, it's just.....wow.

Okay....only two or three more listens.....maybe four.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom